PDA

View Full Version : why should I get an engine transplant and not build the stock one??

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 09:09 AM
I don't know much about the 240sx so sorry if I sound silly. Why don't I just build my 91 engine instead of getting an SR? My engine is a 2.4 and the SR is a 2.0. Am I correct? Wouldn't it be a better idea to pop a turbo on my engine? Probably would be les trouble and would have just as much if not more power

b18c1-ek
01-18-2002, 09:12 AM
Go for it.

(I'm new here, but I'm VERY sure the regulars here will tell you to do a search)

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 09:21 AM
Hahaha! First of all, expect this thread to exceed 100 posts http://www.freshalloy.com/, cause the KA-T vs SR topic is very controversial and every person has a different opinion.

Use the search function of the forum, there are already tons of infos on this topic.

If you're too lazy, what you should remember is this:

It depends only on what you plan to do with your car. Both engine are great, reliable and very powerful. Yet they are different. A turbo'ed KA would be a torquy beast, while the SR offers a smoother, high-revving ride. With both engines, you can reach the same hp, and go very fast.

If you're good in mechanics, and would like your car to be personnalized and built according to your very specific requirements, then you may turbo the KA.

If you don't feel like putting some sweat on that KA and would rather trust Nissan's engineers, go for the SR, which is a factory-built engine.

But then again, it's all up to you. What will you do with your car? What do you prefer?

And you might want to consider other people's opinion, caus I'm not the expert here http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Remember, since it's a 91 engine, turbo-charching it would most probably require the engine to be rebuilt first, with new and/or stronger parts.

But also consider your budget. Do you have 6k$ or so ready for your engine? If so, you might consider swaping a SR in. If you'd rather go step by step, paying a few hundred bucks at a time, build up your KA.

import silvia
01-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Yeah, do the search! http://www.freshalloy.com/

Personally I like the KA, it is a good strong engine with a well built bottom end and lots of torque (for a 4 banger).

d240t2
01-18-2002, 09:29 AM
No reason, it is all a matter of personal preference. Many people choose to go the SR route, fewer people go the KA+T route. Even fewer go RB, CA, etc.

Each motor really has its advantages.

KA - Displacement, iron block
CA - Iron block, domestic parts, large aftermarket
RB - inline 6, iron block.
etc.

Dennis

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 10:06 AM
A simple answer may be that with an engine swap, there's very little down time...

With an engine build-up, depending on how deep you're digging into your motor, down time could be...???

Rather important if your car is a daily driver, less so if you have a backup ride.

-B

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Senna ]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 10:10 AM
One thing you should remember is that KA's are readily available for next to nothing.. I see them going for around $700 all of the time.. Personally, i'm gonna buy a low mileage KA and just work on it over the next two years.. Thats because I like the availablity of the motor, and also it fits my budget. Hope this helped your decision a lil
Craig

StealthmodeS14
01-18-2002, 01:54 PM
I agree with Blitzkrieg, I have plans to do the same exact thing with my S14.......once it's paid off that is. It's gonna be striiped to the bare bones and be built up from the ground in stages; interior revamping, exterior, suspension, and finally the motor rebuild along with the addition of the ol' turbocharger http://www.freshalloy.com/

Could care less if it takes two years or ten years...it'll be done.

SLoWaSs13
01-18-2002, 03:21 PM
yeh im buildin up my sohc for turbo, im gettin a junkyard engine for 100 bucks and buildin up then swap it in my car when im done. im plannin a major build up, wanna make the worlds fastest sohc lol its a big goal, may never get done, but im slowly doin it lol

import silvia
01-18-2002, 03:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blitzkrieg:
One thing you should remember is that KA's are readily available for next to nothing.. I see them going for around $700 all of the time.. Personally, i'm gonna buy a low mileage KA and just work on it over the next two years.. Thats because I like the availablity of the motor, and also it fits my budget. Hope this helped your decision a lil
Craig<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the Luke auto hobby shop?

'97 S14 SE Turbo
01-18-2002, 06:51 PM
Just go for it. Ignore the hype. The Sr is a good motor, and unfortunately there is lots of hype that goes along with it too.

The Ka is also a good motor. The S13/S14 KA is specially built for it's application unlike what others that call it a truck motor or what not.

You can do what D240t2 did by buying a newer, lower mileage KA24DE and drop it into your car and bolt on a turbo system. The KA24DE+T has been do***ented to support atleast 318rwhp on 91 octane pump gas. There is a higher claimed 365rwhp, but no dyno sheets to back up that claim.

T.Y.
'97 S14 SE Turbo (KA+T, 318rwhp @ 15psi and 91 octane pump gas. No ice bags, no nitrous cooling the intercooler, no cheating, just sandbagging!!! My system still can go for 30 more hp.)

1500cc
01-18-2002, 06:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blitzkrieg:
One thing you should remember is that KA's are readily available for next to nothing..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true... Get a KA, place it on an engine stand, work on it, replace with fresh gaskets, and do the swap.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 07:46 PM
import silvia:
Partially yes, mostly no. I'm sure i'll head out there to use a few of their speciality tools which I cannot afford, but the most part i'll be working on it in my aunts garage. She offered to let me use the work bench and all! good deal http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 08:09 PM
cool, I'm just going to turbocharge my KA. For sure I will be doing a compression/leakdown test before doing anything. If all is good I'll just make my own system. If the engine is bad, I'll just build it up from the bottom with all the best stuff and run some insane 20psi. Cool thing is that I have a set(6) of 300ZX twinturbo injectors, and a T3 turbo from a 97 eclipse