PDA

View Full Version : Valve seals

xsparc
08-10-2005, 10:59 AM
When i go to change out my valve seals do i need to change anything else? I know when you go to change a head gasket you have to ge new head studs and i was wondering since i am takeing off the valve locks will i need new ones?

xsparc
08-11-2005, 07:41 PM
anyone?

ItzGenX
08-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I recently replaced all my valve seals with the head still on the motor. All you will need to replace is the seals. All other valve train parts can be reused. If you decide to do it with the head removed, use a new head gasket and new oem head bolts; or get arp head studs.

xsparc
08-11-2005, 07:58 PM
i was going to do it with the head on and push some nylon rope in through the spark plug hole. what did you use to compress the springs and where can i find one?

MonkeyMagic
08-12-2005, 05:43 AM
ummm...nylon rope?

fsae_alum
08-12-2005, 09:46 AM
ummm...nylon rope?

Yep...get about 6 feet of nylon rope and tie a knot on one end. Drop the non-knotted end (all 5.5' of it) down in sparkplug hole of the cylinder you want to replace the seals on and then manually turn the engine until the piston compresses the rope up against the valves. This keeps your valves from falling down while you're changing out the seals. Repeat procedure for remaining cylinders.

Sounds like fun to me!