PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone added a sunroof to their 240 fastback?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-18-2002, 11:47 PM
i was just wondering, i think it would look pretty dang good myself. anyone got pics of one?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-19-2002, 01:27 AM
The owner that i bought my 240sx fastback from had a sunroof put into it. Now i have leaking problems and to be honest i think it would look cleaner if it just didnt have it there.

240TurboHMP
01-19-2002, 06:26 AM
When i bought my 240, someone had put a nice
power sunroof in. Im pretty sure that '90 240s had the little cheap pop-ups, but u could be wrong. I love it, so nice in the summer, since i gotta ditch the A/C for turbo. Its the kind that slide up over the roof like in preludes. I called around for prices for my supra and it was about 400 bucks, which isnt that bad. I would definately reccomend one.

d240t2
01-19-2002, 09:12 AM
I don't really like aftermarket sunroofs. I don't really like the idea of someone I don't know working on my car in general, especially when they are hacking on the roof. My suggestion...get a car with a factory sunroof or don't get a sunroof. That is the way I feel from my experience with aftermarket sunroofs.

Dennis

SR20VET
01-19-2002, 09:52 AM
Here's a question. Would they still need to hack up your roof to add an aftermarket power sunroof if you have the stock pop up one?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-19-2002, 10:00 AM
Hey, while you're there, messing up with your roof, why don't you try a t-top or a targa top instead? I whish I had that! http://www.freshalloy.com/

240sx-tx
01-19-2002, 10:00 AM
Do Not get an Aftermarket sunfroof! It will leak. Many mechanics and other people have told me this.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-19-2002, 10:15 AM
A friend of mine installed an aftermarket sunroof himself on a 92 Protege. The first time, it looked almost as factory, but it was leaking. So he had to reinstall it. Now it doesn't leek anymore, but it looks kinda messy cause he has had to put more "gummy stuff" (how is it aclled??) around the roof, and it's not evenly spread.

01-19-2002, 10:18 AM
They'll likely need to do some cutting, since it seems unlikely that the factory sunroof is exactly the same shape as the aftermarket one.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SR20VET:
Here's a question. Would they still need to hack up your roof to add an aftermarket power sunroof if you have the stock pop up one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mrmephistopheles
01-19-2002, 01:06 PM
Buy a convertible and have a permanent sunroof. Or.. buy a 240 with a factory sunroof. Simpler is better (though not always cheaper)

Kevin

**DONOTDELETE**
01-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Is there any nerd/genious out there who could tell if having a t-top/targa top on a 240sx fastback would cause any structural weaknesses? Would a roll-cage be indispensable?

BioSehnsucht
01-19-2002, 03:21 PM
it would definately reduce the rigidity, but thats what all those fun braces and such are for http://www.freshalloy.com/

Most T-tops / targa-tops from teh factory have extra reinforcements built in.. you might be able to build that in in a custom design also.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-19-2002, 03:28 PM
Yea T-tops would be great I have them in my comaro and the car sux but the T tops are great

**DONOTDELETE**
01-19-2002, 06:25 PM
see, i was basicaly only talking about the little pop up kinda sunroof

d240t2
01-19-2002, 09:05 PM
Convertible 240's are all auto though...and they weigh a lot more.

The convertibles barely even seem like a 240SX anymore. The door panels, the rear seats, the hinges for the trunk, etc. It all looks wrong.

I actually have been lucky enough to see a convertible 240SX with the front end panels missing. There is a significant amount of reinforcement.

Convertibles are still cool though...I would like to have one for a quick cruising car, although it is not my first choice for a second 240SX. My first choice is an 89 240SX coupe, creamy yellow with dark grey. It is definitely the ugliest 240SX I have ever seen, but for some reason, I love it. I would love to build a car that ugly that kills everything else on an autocross course or Road Atlanta.

Dennis

**DONOTDELETE**
01-19-2002, 09:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by d240t2:
I would love to build a car that ugly that kills everything else on an autocross course or Road Atlanta.

Dennis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rofl, thats what people thought i wanted to do when i first bought my 90 fastback. it was ass ugly, w/ the three tone paint, and more dents than straight sheet metal http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
01-20-2002, 12:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
They'll likely need to do some cutting, since it seems unlikely that the factory sunroof is exactly the same shape as the aftermarket one.

Asad
That is correct, My '89 coupe has a power roof, And my '92 hatch has pop-up roof. They are NOT the same size.
Crap! i should have read your post more carefully, you said aftermarket!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.freshalloy.com/
I hate sunroofs anyways!!!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-20-2002, 12:05 AM
I suck.
I totally screwed up that quotation.
going back to bed.
bye.

BioSehnsucht
01-20-2002, 12:54 AM
Personally I think a cool more-money-than-sense project would be getting nicely installed (flawless) T tops or targa top made on the FB..

d240t2
01-20-2002, 12:59 AM
I don't hate sunroofs. In fact, I live for the sunroof when the weather is nice.

I am sure Russ has something to say on the subject. I know there are a lot of people who live for the sunroof.

Of course, my race car wouldn't have a sunroof.

Dennis