PDA

View Full Version : after mods, friend's Evo 8 doesnt start

superhoss37
08-25-2005, 02:12 AM
my best friend has an evo 8 and we just installed hks 272 cams, walbro 255 pump, boost controller, and custom tuned ecu by a very reputable tuner( dynoflash ). we installed the cams properly because i've done it before and know what to do in this installation. we lined the cams at tdc on compression and the crank up at tdc. the fuel pump turned on and was spitting fuel when we tested it. we pulled the plugs out and all coil packs are working and all brand new plugs are firing. Yes, the CAS is installed properly and the trigger is in the correct location for #1 TDC. we have NO IDEA what the problem is. it's weird, we have spark, fuel, and air, but no start! it will turn over but never actually turn on and run. we also checked all fuses and every single fuse is in tact. any help here?

_Def_
08-25-2005, 02:39 AM
Did you check the flux capacitor?

Or maybe vacuum leaks?

Kouki14
08-25-2005, 06:30 AM
Well i have never been accused of being smart but my guess is that it is something that you guys did? Try starting with the stock computer?

flip240
08-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Does all those mods turn it into a RWD car that weighs 2900 lbs??

I would have recommended swapping parts one by one instead of all at the same time...

Amalgam
08-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Use this for reference and check your work...and it never hurts to check the cam timing again, just to be sure.

EVO Cam Install (http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=3_6&tech_id=18)

Oh, and did you remember to bleed the lifters??

**edit** That has nothing to do with the starting but it can blow out a lifter seal, and create a noisy valvetrain.

turtl631
08-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Freshalloy.com: The Destination For Nissan/Infiniti Enthusiasts

Hmm...

Fred_Allen_Burge
08-25-2005, 08:59 AM
If you truly have spark, fuel and air then it has to be timing.

allen

gatecrasher
08-25-2005, 09:35 AM
If you truly have spark, fuel and air then it has to be timing.

allen

w3rd

superhoss37
08-25-2005, 10:47 AM
at first i thought it was the walbro and low and behold it was the walbro because he didn't push the plug connector in far enough to snap into connection. my guess is that it's the new ecu, although the guy who flashed his ecu is VERY reputable in the evo world(dynoflash). we pulled all the plugs out and plugged them into their connections and grounded against the valve cover, tried to turn it over and clearly saw that we were getting spark. We also unplugged the high pressure hose on the fuel pump and hooked another hose to the high pressure outlet on the pump and turned the ignition to "ON" and gas poured into the cup.

When we did the cam timing we followed the evomoto.com instructions to a T by putting the crank at TDC and checking that the gears were at TDC before removing the valve cover. when we put the cams in we made sure that the dowel pins were at 12 o'clock and the #1 cyl cam lobes were pointing directly out to the sides (TDC, valves shut). After replacing the CAS correctly(yes, we checked the orientation against evomoto's orientation) we put the valve cover back on and then turned the crank over by hand a few times and all marks line up to their proper positions...TDC. The only thing left to try is throwing a stock evo 8 ecu in and trying that, but we don't have any access to one. What would you guys recommend? Could the ecu cause the car not to turn on like that assuming EVERYTHING ELSE is correct?

S14_James
08-25-2005, 11:01 AM
You are near Nashville?
I have a XFlash ECU in my EVO. Vishnu custom flash.
-James

superhoss37
08-25-2005, 11:22 AM
You are near Nashville?
I have a XFlash ECU in my EVO. Vishnu custom flash.
-James

Appreciate the help man, but we're over near bristol, TN

superhoss37
08-25-2005, 11:51 AM
could the ecu possibly have a "bad tune" or the walbro just be too much for the tune that he has?

TS4l
08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
The Walbro isn't going to be too much. If it has fuel and spark its got to be timing, or a lack of compression but if it ran before I doubt its compression. Either th CAS is off or the ECU timing is way off, hard to beleive the reflash would be that far off. Or something got unclipped during your work and isn't hooked back up. Best of luck to you.

asad
08-25-2005, 12:35 PM
This is NOT an Evo forum.

Asad