PDA

View Full Version : Dual fuel pumps in an S14, any ideas?

Drag_S13
08-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Depending on how my setup goes, I may be needing more flow than a single Walbro 255HP can support. I know I'll at least be close, and I'd rather have too much pump than not enough. Anyone ever modified an S14 fuel tank to accept twin pumps? The mounting style of the stock pump is what scares me as far as making a new bracket. S13 guys have it easy. Any help/pics/etc would be great.

Thanks!

Kim_Jong_Il
08-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Take a read through this page to get a better idea for the all the options:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

golfer17
08-30-2005, 08:46 PM
thats good info, jeff lucius' site is awesome, especially if you have a 3s.

i havent heard of too many 240 guys doing dual pump setups, but im sure it can be done, and you can find a good higher flow pump to fit in there.

hybridynamics
08-30-2005, 09:06 PM
we run dual fuel pumps in any car we're shooting for over 500hp in. it's been working out real well for us.

Drag_S13
08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
got any pictures of bracketry or anything for an S14? I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to mount duals... The top plate is the easy part, it's getting the pumps down there securely thats going to be tricky.

timlush
09-01-2005, 03:48 PM
slow

kovert
09-01-2005, 05:00 PM
I'd really like to see how you guys setup dual pumps.. Im going to be doing it myself, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel..you've done it more than a few times, and its worked well for you.

Angel
09-02-2005, 07:54 AM
I'd really like to see how you guys setup dual pumps.. Im going to be doing it myself, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel..you've done it more than a few times, and its worked well for you.

Just tap the cover for a bulkhead fitting, clamp the second pump to the first one, run your second power and ground ( nuts and bolts through the cover work ) and run your lines however you plan to do it. Unless you really want something pretty hidden in the tank.... one thing to consider with running dual pumps versus one, is that if one should fail, the second could mask the problem and you run the risk of hurting something. With that being said, I have run dual pumps literally a 100 times and never had an issue up to 930 rwhp.

cnichols
09-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Why not make a pickup to go down into the tank and end close to where the stock pump does and run one big external pump like the dang'rs do on Mustangs, etc.?

http://www.jegs.com/photos/02711106.jpg

For fuel injected applications with base pressure settings between 30 and 65 PSI. Designed to fuel anything from 150 to 800 horsepower... Flows over 450 lbs. per hour @ 12 Volts and 45 psi using -8AN inlet and -6AN outlet ports.

Or...fuel cell?

tErbobOOst
09-02-2005, 11:34 AM
that pump needs to be gravity fed, which means you need a new fuel cell.

although I have heard of guys running a 255 into the aeromotive to simulate a gravity feed...but I'm not sure how that exactly worked out.

Fireplug
09-04-2005, 02:17 PM
As stated before, it's not too hard to do.
1.) Tap you're cap to accept the bulk fitting
2.) Get a 90 Degree fitting that'll aim toward the front of the vehicle for whichever size fuel line you're running (mine's a -8) Then you'll need a distribution block (y-block) that splits the fuel to each pump. Next 2 fittings are going to go from the y-block to a 5/16 hose for the walbro fuel lines.
3.) The pumps are not hard at all...I insulated my pumps with a special foam so they wouldn't scratch each other or anything else. Then simply strap them too each other with 2 hose clamps.
4.) rewire the pumps as necessary, I wired mine to run off of the primary pump..then I wired the second one to kick on via the AEM EMS any time the turbo pushes anything above 2 lbs. of boost.
5.) It's a bit of a pinch to get the pumps initially in the hole down to the tanks. But after that it's no problem at all. I also had to cut the vehicle a little bit to allow the fuel line to come up to the -8 fitting.

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the pumps as I was trying to get the car out and didn't have time to snap any shots. But to get an idea here's what another local shop in town did for a Supra's twin setup. It's basically the same concept. I apologize for the picture size.
http://members.cox.net/induction/fuelsystem2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/induction/fuelsystem3.jpg