PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem

**DONOTDELETE**
11-30-2000, 08:05 AM
I have a 1989 Nissan Pickup extended cab with V6 and automatic transmission. The truck will not start. When I attempt to start I get a click but the solenoid does not engage and the starter does not turn. I have replaced the starter, the solenoid, the neutral safty switch, the starter relay and the battery. Does anyone have any ideas about what my problem may be? Thanks for any suggestions.
gadw

**DONOTDELETE**
11-30-2000, 05:52 PM
I know you said you replaced the starter but try this and let me know,have someone in the truck to hold the key to the crank position while you tap the starter using a long rod or pry bar to reach the starter and tap the end of this to see if the starter engages.Note even a new or rebuilt starter could be N.G?

**DONOTDELETE**
11-30-2000, 10:34 PM
You might want to check the starter you got. Generally if you hear the click, your solenoid is working fine.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-01-2000, 03:06 PM
Hate to say this but sounds like the battery to me. dont try to jump it cause that doesnt always work. go grab a battery try it with a new one. i know more than once on the se-r mailing list people have went nuts trying to figure out what was wrong and it turned out to be a battery. Mine just did this DOH. starter clicks lights come on but nothing, went bought a new battery it started just fine.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-16-2000, 09:14 AM
Clutch saftey switch?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-17-2000, 12:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FLASSH:
I know you said you replaced the starter but try this and let me know,have someone in the truck to hold the key to the crank position while you tap the starter using a long rod or pry bar to reach the starter and tap the end of this to see if the starter engages.Note even a new or rebuilt starter could be N.G?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the response. It turned out to be a broken wire in the wiring harness between the starter relay and the starter.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-17-2000, 12:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bowlcut:
Hate to say this but sounds like the battery to me. dont try to jump it cause that doesnt always work. go grab a battery try it with a new one. i know more than once on the se-r mailing list people have went nuts trying to figure out what was wrong and it turned out to be a battery. Mine just did this DOH. starter clicks lights come on but nothing, went bought a new battery it started just fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the response. It turned out to be a broken wire in the wiring harness between the starter relay and the starter.
gadw

**DONOTDELETE**
12-17-2000, 12:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HammerMan:
You might want to check the starter you got. Generally if you hear the click, your solenoid is working fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the response. It turned out to be a broken wire between the starter relay and the starter.
gadw

**DONOTDELETE**
12-17-2000, 12:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FLASSH:
I know you said you replaced the starter but try this and let me know,have someone in the truck to hold the key to the crank position while you tap the starter using a long rod or pry bar to reach the starter and tap the end of this to see if the starter engages.Note even a new or rebuilt starter could be N.G?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
gadw