PDA

View Full Version : Garret T-3, okay to use for KA24de-t?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-20-2002, 11:10 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm starting my quest to piece together my own turbo kit. I used to own a Z31 300zx-turbo, and my friend whom I sold it to, totalled it. The motor is in awesome condition at 115k. The turbo had, and still does, spool up and boost well. Here's the deal: He offered to sell me the turbo for $10.. Just cause he doesn't really care and all. But heres the kicker, the car is back in Ohio and before I have two of my friends venture into getting this off of the car (which isn't going to be a fun or easy task) I'd like to know if it would be a good turbo for my application. 93 KA24de.

From Z31.com, "It is a single, fixed pitch turbocharger (Garret T-3), with a stock boost of 4-5psi."

Does anyone know if I would have fitment problems with this turbo? What kind of response can I expect? Just a few questions that come to mind... If anyone has any added input this would be GREATLY appreciated! As this is totally new to me, asides from all of the reading I have done.
Thanks in advance everyone!
Craig http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
01-20-2002, 11:17 PM
i think that would be a great turbo. my friend andy has a front wheel drive sr20det in his nx, and has a t3/t4 turbo. you might watn to ahve it re built to that, it's SO fun to drive http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
01-20-2002, 11:25 PM
If you're custom making everything, the hardest part is making the manifold. Garrett turbos have a certain flange pattern. As long as it fits the manifold and you put it at a proper angle to clear everything, it should be fine.

A t-3 should be fine for low boost. I'm using one now. It can handle higher boosts levels up to 1.5-2 bar even. As for how much heat would build up because of the inefficiency, that's another story.

If you don't plan on using the stock wastegate, the 4-5 psi limit on it is moot.

AZ_Dave
01-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Dude i sent you an email, let me know if you got it.
Dave

01-20-2002, 11:46 PM
I agree, a T3 should be fine for low boost levels. I wouldn't take it above more than ~16-17 psi if you want to stay in the "fat" of the compressor efficiency, but it can go higher if you want.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim:

A t-3 should be fine for low boost. I'm using one now. It can handle higher boosts levels up to 1.5-2 bar even. As for how much heat would build up because of the inefficiency, that's another story.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-20-2002, 11:47 PM
just wondering, what would it take to make it a t3/t4? how much would it be? i know that getting the work done makes the turbo one helluva lot more eficiant.

01-20-2002, 11:53 PM
The "T4" part refers to the compressor...so basically it involves replacing the compressor wheel and housing on the turbo. If you're going to have it rebuilt, might as well do it, but if not I wouldn't bother (depending of course on your power goals -- at low boost level, even if it's not quite as efficient it doesn't really matter since the air doesn't heat up that much anyway).

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240sx_Silvia:
just wondering, what would it take to make it a t3/t4? how much would it be? i know that getting the work done makes the turbo one helluva lot more eficiant.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-21-2002, 12:00 AM
Dave,
You've got mail!

Thanks everyone for the responses! I do however have a few more questions for ya. Heres what I have to work with here. My KA24de has 142,000 miles on it. It runs well and still feels strong. I have a MSD6al/accel wires/denzo iridium's, K&N drop in, and a ACT street clutch. Do you think my motor is worthwhile to turbo? Or do you think i'm just going to have fun with it for a week before it blows? I dont plan to run anything over 4-5 lbs of boost on it. Anyone know of any manifolds out there yet? One more thing. Do you think this project is do-able before this summer, or is this more of a handful than I am wanting to realize? Thanks again!
Craig http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
01-21-2002, 05:31 PM
Revhard and fmax both make manifolds that will fit the turbo flange since they use garrett/turbonetics turbo's too (I think). As for fitment, other people on the board have have problems fitting a t3/t4. It is possible, I believe.

Finish by summer is very possible. The hardest parts you will run into are tapping the oil pan for the oil return line and the downpipe (to connect the turbo, wastegate, egr, o2 sensor, and catalytic converter).

I wouldn't pass judgement on the motor. It is your call depending on how well maintained you have kept it.

01-21-2002, 05:40 PM
Here's the lowdown: The FMax manifold has a flange for a T3 turbine (which includes the T3/T4 type of turbo since those use a T3 turbine side). The RevHard manifold flange has bolt patterns for both a T3 turbine and a T4 turbine. HOWEVER, numerous people have had problems trying to fit a T3 turbine on the RevHard in a KA because the clearance between the brake master cylinder and the turbine housing is nonexistent. Some people have been able to make it fit, but the majority of people (myself included) have had problems. rextreme modified his RevHard to fit a T3 turbo, but d240t2 is using it without modifications, I believe. Realistically, the best turbo choice (in terms of fitment) for the RevHard manifold is a T4 with an on-center turbine housing, which places the turbo directly on top of the manifold as opposed to sorta hanging it off over the side.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim:
Revhard and fmax both make manifolds that will fit the turbo flange since they use garrett/turbonetics turbo's too (I think). As for fitment, other people on the board have have problems fitting a t3/t4. It is possible, I believe.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

chris@speedalliance.com
01-21-2002, 08:37 PM
I have a pretty ugly down pipe that i'll sell you for $20.00. It will work with the 300ZX turbo. But that means you will have to custom make your manifold!

Chris

**DONOTDELETE**
01-21-2002, 09:16 PM
you've got mail Chris!

d240t2
01-21-2002, 10:17 PM
I am using the RevHard manifold with a T3/T4 without modifications. I am not happy with it. The compressor is extremely close to the power steering reservoir. The turbine is pretty close to both the brake m/c and the brake lines. When I really get into it, the brakes get soft from fluid boiling in the lines or the m/c. I did melt one M/C reservoir before I got a chance to put some heat shielding around it. (Melting brake M/C's is my Mystery Man power.)

It fit better on my last car for some reason. Either RevHard changed the manifold at some time (the one I am using now is different from the one I had before) or my last car was so badly wrecked that the engine's fit in the bay was tweaked and gave me more clearance. This is certainly possible. I was able to fit Z32 brakes on one side without a spacer but had to put a thick spacer on the other side. It doesn't seem to make sense, but it is a fact.

I am planning on building a custom manifold at a later date. (Like when I get some money...and am ready to pull everything apart and rebuild my turbo (with a wet bearing housing!)) I gotta learn to weld sometime.

If I ever get my old turbo manifold back (don't ask; long story) I'll check the fitment of that one on this car to determine if it was a manifold difference or a car difference.

Dennis

rextreme
01-21-2002, 10:53 PM
Ouch... Did you heat wrap your turbo? I heat shielded my brake lines with reflective tape and wrapped my turbo with about 2 layersof heat wrap. Heat wrap does wonders. After hard runs, I can literally rest the palm of my hand on the turbine and it will only be warm to hot. Not enough to burn. With the heat wrap on my stock manifold, after hard runs, I can watch it glow.

1500cc
01-22-2002, 03:00 AM
With the right sized housings on the T3, it should flow just fine and support upto 300hp as per Turbonetics. I'm considering in using the T3 for space reasons, but also I might goto a local shop down here to make me a manifold for the best fitment possible. The only other thing I can recommend is to have the manifold and exhaust side of the turbo ceramic coated, it's the best way to keep it cooler in the engine bay.

KenFuji
01-22-2002, 09:10 PM
craig

phil(hmp) uses the t3 from the z31 on his custom setup.... some how i think that is where you got the custom turbo set-up bug from http://www.freshalloy.com/