PDA

View Full Version : Brembo drilled/slotted good enough?

pSY trek
01-21-2002, 03:55 PM
What do you guys think of the Brembo slotted/drilled rotors? I don't do
any auto-x(not yet atleast) or track racing but I do like to drive through the canyons. Am I better off with the Z brake upgrade? Would Z calipers fit behind 15/6.5/low offset wheels? I read that zinc plating can worsen glazing at high speeds? Zinc prevents the rotors from rusting right? Is zinc plating really necessary? I live in so cali, doesn't rain often.

projectsilvia
01-21-2002, 04:41 PM
i would not buy rotors that are marked brembo drilled/slotted, due to that, brembo only manufacture slotted rotors for the 300zx 90-96 models, those rotors seen mostly on ebay, are ones that were bought slotted and then drilled in-house by the shops that are selling them. Drilled rotors if not heattreated afterwards are more prone to cracking =( which can be bad when you are using your brakes hard... and i am pretty sure those rotors on ebay are not heattreated, but i may be wrong...

01-21-2002, 04:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pSY trek:
What do you guys think of the Brembo slotted/drilled rotors? I don't do
any auto-x(not yet atleast) or track racing but I do like to drive through the canyons.
Am I better off with the Z brake upgrade?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you plan on auto-xing, doing the Z-brake upgrade can put you in a class where you may not be competitive -- this may or may not be a problem depending on whether or not you want to auto-x for fun or more seriously.

Running stock-sized cross-drilled/slotted rotors will allow you to run in the Street Touring classes.

Also, the Z brakes are probably not a huge necessity for a relatively short (1-2 min) auto-x course. Their real benefit is fade resistance after extended lapping.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
Would Z calipers fit behind 15/6.5/low offset wheels?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depends mostly on the design of the wheel in question. The Z brakes won't fit behind a lot of low-offset mesh-style wheels.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
I read that zinc plating can worsen glazing at high speeds? Zinc prevents the rotors from rusting right? Is zinc plating really necessary? I live in so cali, doesn't rain often.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The zinc plating gets rubbed off on the areas where the pad contacts the rotor. The zinc is to keep the non-contact areas of the rotor from rusting (and even if you're in CA, the rotors will rust. Cast iron rusts very easily, just from the humidity in the air).

Asad

01-21-2002, 04:46 PM
Actually, Brembo doesn't make ANY x-drilled/slotted rotors in OEM sizes (except, of course, for the cars that come with Brembo brakes from the factory, e.g. Ferrari, Lambo, etc). Any slotted or x-drilled stock-type Brembo rotor is done by someone other than Brembo.

The only rotors that Brembo actually "cross-drills" are the ones they use in their aftermarket brake kits, and those have the holes cast in, not drilled.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by projectsilvia:
brembo only manufacture slotted rotors for the 300zx 90-96 models<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>