PDA

View Full Version : Rim/Tire/Offsets/Spacers HELP AGAIN PLEASE

**DONOTDELETE**
01-22-2002, 05:58 PM
I'm ready to buy these Motegi MR7 in a 17" size. I have a stock S14 SE. The rims are 7 inches wide and have a 40mm offset. I don't know what all of this means, but can you guys recomend a tire size and spacers IF i have to use them. I just want them flush with the fenders and also for there to be no rubbing.

THANKS YOU SO MUCH!!!

'97 S14 SE Turbo
01-22-2002, 06:03 PM
Rule of thumb:

17x8 offset from +30 to +35mm in front.

17x9 +38mm in rear. Can range from +30mm to +40mm

**DONOTDELETE**
01-22-2002, 06:07 PM
my rims are only 7 inches wide all around and the offset is ONLY +40mm will this work or WILL I need spacers

01-22-2002, 06:54 PM
They won't be flush -- you'll need spacers. Something like 15mm should do the trick up front, probably something a bit more out back?

Of course, you'll need longer wheel studs too.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NismoLuv:
my rims are only 7 inches wide all around and the offset is ONLY +40mm will this work or WILL I need spacers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BensonLovesDrifting
01-22-2002, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
They won't be flush -- you'll need spacers. Something like 15mm should do the trick up front, probably something a bit more out back?

Of course, you'll need longer wheel studs too.

Asad

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wheel studs arent NEEDED. but they will improve the look of the car dramatically.

from what i've heard about longer studs, they arent a good idea... if you buy the proper spacers, you wont need longer studs anyways... the proper studs being those with studs on them to attach to the wheels, and holes to lock down onto the wheel studs on your car.

BensonLovesDrifting
01-22-2002, 07:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Y.:
Rule of thumb:

17x8 offset from +30 to +35mm in front.

17x9 +38mm in rear. Can range from +30mm to +40mm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

from what i've played around with, it seems to me that every .5" difference in the wheel, there should be about a 10mm difference in offset to maintain the same fender/wheel line.

i've got some 15x7 +8 offset wheels, and they match up close to exactly the same as my wheels that are 15x7.5 with +18.

01-22-2002, 07:27 PM
Well, using the definition of offset, for every inch of extra wheel width, you need 12.7mm more offset to keep the centerline of the wheel at the same position. This will make the outside edge of the wheel stick out an extra 0.5" from where it was before.

So if you want to keep the outer edge of the wheel at the same position you need an extra 25.4mm of wheel offset for a 1" wider wheel, or 12.7mm for a 0.5" wider wheel, which is close to your 10mm value.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SileightyManiaSPL:

from what i've played around with, it seems to me that every .5" difference in the wheel, there should be about a 10mm difference in offset to maintain the same fender/wheel line.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-22-2002, 07:38 PM
OK so from what I gather ON my 17x7 wheels I would need 20mm spacers of the stock ones to make them fit the same, but what abnout the offset of the wheel being 40mm already? Sorry I'm confused do spacer lower the relative offset of rims or increase them. Also are they safe?

01-22-2002, 08:09 PM
Spacers lower the offset. So a 10mm spacer on a +40 rim makes the offset equivalent to +30.

Asad

BensonLovesDrifting
01-22-2002, 08:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NismoLuv:
OK so from what I gather ON my 17x7 wheels I would need 20mm spacers of the stock ones to make them fit the same, but what abnout the offset of the wheel being 40mm already? Sorry I'm confused do spacer lower the relative offset of rims or increase them. Also are they safe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah youre right. but you have to be careful of what size tires youre using... because if you use a wide enough tire, then using a 20mm spacer might not work.

FriscoMgM
01-22-2002, 08:55 PM
I would recommend going with 225/45/17 tires and 15mm H&R spacers up front and 20mm H&R spacers in the rear. That is what I am working on with my s13, although I know the s14 has a lil more room, but your offset is actually 2mm lower than mine, so I believe that would work. Be prepared to dish out for those H&R's though...and remember to stay away from universal type spacers.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-22-2002, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, but would the Unviersal spacer from sononde like PDM not work, or are they unsafe? Also with 15 or 20 mm sapcers will I need longer studs? One last question what is the stock S14 16" rim offset?

FriscoMgM
01-22-2002, 09:09 PM
Universal spacers would work with longer studs, but you would literally have to stack them. You would most likely have handling issues like wheel shimmy and such, and some would argue that it is just plain dangerous as well as annoying. You are better off either buying rims with the proper offset or getting some H&R's.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-22-2002, 11:11 PM
Is there something I am missing about the H&R spacers, Do they come with built in stud extentions or why are the better then universal ones? Sorry for all the questions http://www.freshalloy.com/

01-22-2002, 11:32 PM
Some of the H&R spacers bolt to the hub and have their own studs, but some are just spacers sorta like the universal ones. I think they have the correct hub bore, though, so you shouldn't have as many problems with wheel shimmy and whatnot as with the universal ones.

Oh, btw: I know of one guy who had a problem with bolt-on wheel spacers (I don't know if they were the H&R ones, but they were similar in design) -- the spacer came loose while he was driving his car down the freeway, and the car was totalled.

BTW, I think Don (at PDM) will make you some custom hubcentric spacers.

Asad

Is there something I am missing about the H&R spacers, Do they come with built in stud extentions or why are the better then universal ones? Sorry for all the questions http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 11:17 AM
Okay after having a long conversation with my tire guy@ Just Tires he said that a 20mm Spacer is a must, also that the tires on a 7" wide rim should be 215/45/17 TO 235/45/17. Also the lug nuts will not work on extended wheel studs. A couple more questions, can I squeeze a 245/45/17 tire on this rim? Also with hubcentric spacers the studs shouldn't be longer than stock correct? Thanks

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 01:06 PM
Okay from tire rack I found that the best size is 225/45/17 or 235/455/14 both fit a 7" wide rim and also havce 833 revs which is close to the 835. Now on to the spacers, H&R makes some for about 100 dollars a pair are these the huubceentric ones? Will I need longer studs. Here's a link to the spacers http://www.optauto.com/webstore/basket.asp?in=yes Anyone know where I can find them instock?
Thanks again H& R spacers (http://www.optauto.com/webstore/basket.asp?in=yes)

96S14
01-23-2002, 02:07 PM
Can I ask a question here?

There seems to be a lot of talk about spacers lately and I keep thinking that the main reason people want them is for improving the look of the car. Fair enough.

But are there other advantages that are noticeable to adding spacers...such as increasing the track? Is this something that you would actually feel as an improvement?

Also, what are the disadvantages to increasing the track of the car? I imagine that the steering angles would be out of whack (the angle of the one wheel to the other during a turn). Is this the case? Also, does it stress the bearings excessively due to the longer moment arm it places on the hub assembly?

I ask since I was really looking hard to match the stock offset of my rims when I bought my winter wheels/tires (based on the recommendation of many tire and wheel shops)
and now it seems as if most people here on Freshalloy just play with their offset like it doesn't matter at all.

Any thoughts?

Ryan.

01-23-2002, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96S14:

But are there other advantages that are noticeable to adding spacers...such as increasing the track? Is this something that you would actually feel as an improvement?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it'll increase the track...but there are downsides as well...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
Also, what are the disadvantages to increasing the track of the car? I imagine that the steering angles would be out of whack (the angle of the one wheel to the other during a turn). Is this the case?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are some steering issues...I noticed when I put wider, lower-offset wheels on my car that I got a lot more bump-steer than I used to have. Just means I need to pay attention a little more http://www.freshalloy.com/

Also, does it stress the bearings excessively due to the longer moment arm it places on the hub assembly?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theoretically, yes. I'm not sure if this is actually a problem on our cars though.

Asad

96S14
01-23-2002, 02:35 PM
Thanks Asad,

Your usual well thought out and helpful answers are appreciated.

Ryan.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 05:47 PM
So pacers have their downsides as well but I got my rims for free so I'm going to try to make them fit my car. Any ideas on where to buy them? Shox.com want 125 a pair

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 08:53 PM
One more wuestion I know I need longer studs but I have two options 50mm or 60mm? which ones should i use? I have a +40 offset rims and i'm using 20mm spacers. Also the lugnust for these rims will cap the stud so they can't be to long or they wont fit. BTW can longer studs be cut down to size of it that NOT recomended?
thanks

01-24-2002, 12:27 AM

Also the lug nuts will not work on extended wheel studs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah...if you get the ARP wheel studs from PDM Racing, then you need to get all new lugnuts.

A couple more questions, can I squeeze a 245/45/17 tire on this rim?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not...remember, the lower profile a tire is, the harder it is to squeeze onto a rim since there's less sidewall to bend.

Also with hubcentric spacers the studs shouldn't be longer than stock correct? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, "hubcentric" really has nothing to do with the wheel stud length. If you're using a 20mm thick spacer, hubcentric or not, you'll need longer studs. Unless you get the style of spacer that bolts on to stock wheel studs, and has it's own set of studs for the wheel.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
01-24-2002, 12:38 AM
Okay after having a long conversation with my tire guy@ Just Tires he said that a 20mm Spacer is a must, also that the tires on a 7" wide rim should be 215/45/17 TO 235/45/17. Also the lug nuts will not work on extended wheel studs. A couple more questions, can I squeeze a 245/45/17 tire on this rim? Also with hubcentric spacers the studs shouldn't be longer than stock correct? Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Make This easier on yourself. Go find a tire you are looking for on Tirerack.
Look at the specs page of the Tire you want.
It will have the overall tire width and the advised rim width, along with the rotation/revolutions of the tires.
Get the specs for the Closest to 835 revs., 7.5 inch advised rim width. And NO MORE than 10.2" overall width.
Then Talk/email Don at PDM-racing and ask him if the extended studs will accept the Tuner Lugs.
They SHOULD, as long as the thread cut and dia. equal.
Just an Idea

http://www.freshalloy.com/