PDA

View Full Version : Question about ABS

thearabian
12-14-2000, 04:59 PM
this might seem stupid but

how can I tell if my car has ABS
its a 2000 Nissan Altima GXE, and I OPTED for ABS, so i *should* have it

having driven a sunfire with ABS, i know how it feels when it kicks in (the for sunfire at least)

but in the altima, i slammed on the brakes on snow (in a safe area) and i did not feel ANYTHING, that is why i am baffled whether i have ABS or not
i tested a few times, but i cannot hear anything or feel the pedal, in fact, i even spun out once (even while braking in a very straight line)

anyone has answers?

[This message has been edited by thearabian (edited 12-14-2000).]

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2000, 05:56 PM
One simple way is to turn your key to the on position and see if there is a "A.B.S" waring light that comes on for opprx.5 seconds this light is orange in colour and is located by the other warning lights on the instrument cluster,if you still are not sure of where it should be located the owners manual will tell you exactally.But you should have felt something when you did your tests.If you paid for this option I would make sure you got it.Hope this helps.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
12-14-2000, 06:06 PM
Pop your hood and take a peak. Follow the brake lines that comes out of your master brake cylinder. Does it lead to an aluminum block with more brake lines on the passenger side? The telltale sign is the ABS acutator that I'm telling you to look for.

And another thing, look on your window sticker... if you optioned for it, it should be listed on your window sticker... Can't be simpler than that.

thearabian
12-14-2000, 07:47 PM
strike 2

thank you for the answers,
1 did the 2 easier things; checked for the sticker on the window and checked the status panel inside the car

both not indicating ABS
i will check under the hood tomorrow, to cast strike 3!

well, i strongly feel i dont have ABS, can it be added on or its only optionnal from the factory? i also paid for it so it is unjust, moreover when i ordered the car i added spoiler and mags to the GXE, the car came without those 2 options, and i had to wait another week for them to add it, i think they forgot to add all my options and when i took it back, they forgot to add the ABS as well...

i think i will pay a visit to the dealer in question. i am hoping i can weasel a new car out of this at little extra cost http://www.freshalloy.com/ (dreams)

'97 S14 SE Turbo
12-14-2000, 08:23 PM
Unfortunately, ABS is only factory installed, so get your lawyer ready to get you a new car!!!

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2000, 09:50 PM
test for abs on solid ground, not snow. in any loose conditions the rules change completely for abs, and it usually doesn't behave as you would expect.

if the car doesn't match what you paid for, definately give the dealer a visit. tell them you want the car you paid for, right now. obviously they won't have the right car there... but it's a good starting point.