PDA

View Full Version : SPACERS...Are They really safe?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 11:33 AM
I am looking into 15 or 20 mm spacers. Does anyone where use them and are they safe? Have you heard any horror stories? Also what is the difference between hubsentric and universal spacers? BTW 5 lug SE S14

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 01:20 PM
H&R makes some for about 100 dollars a pair are these the hubcentric ones? Will I need longer studs. Anyone know where I can find them instock? Here's a link to the spacers http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=HR4065662&variation=&aitem=7&mitem=9&back=yes&dept=417

RDM_II
01-23-2002, 01:48 PM
I know you don't want to hear this, but instead of half-assing it, you should really buy the wheel you like in the RIGHT offset. I know it's hard to find low offset wheels, but you'll be happier and out less money this way. Spacers are ok to use, but why use them if you don't have to? My wheels are 18x8, 30mm offset, I got them specifically for the fact that they look right on the car. The best way to do this is to go to different websites, and look up wheels for a 300ZX. You'll find a wider selection of better fitting wheels.

White_240sx
01-23-2002, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R240NAII:
I know you don't want to hear this, but instead of half-assing it, you should really buy the wheel you like in the RIGHT offset. I know it's hard to find low offset wheels, but you'll be happier and out less money this way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also another tip too, you don't HAVE to get the exact offsets right away. You can get them a little low and have them shaved to the ideal offsets. This opens up a few more options on wheels too.

01-23-2002, 02:41 PM
Yes, those are hubcentric, and they require the use of longer wheel studs (they are part of H&R's "DRS" series of spacers, which require longer studs).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NismoLuv:
H&R makes some for about 100 dollars a pair are these the hubcentric ones? Will I need longer studs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the help but I am looking into spacers because I got the rims for free and figure 200 dollars is worth it for the rims. Thanks for all your help guys!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 07:30 PM
Hey, if you buy H&R spacers, make sure they send you the right studs. The neurals on the studs for the front hubs are larger than the studs on the rear. If you decide to just get the spacers, You can go to www.nismoparts.com (http://www.nismoparts.com) for the longer studs. They actually say which studs are for the front and which are for the back. The reason Im telling you this is because I ordered a set of H&R 15mm spacers with longer studs from stillen.com and they sent me studs that had all the same size neural that only fit on the front hubs. They would not fit on the rear because they were to big. They would not refund my money even though they made the mistake. So make sure you go to www.nismoparts.com (http://www.nismoparts.com) to get the proper studs to go with your spacers. Good luck

01-23-2002, 07:58 PM
"knurls"

Also known, in this case, as splines.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moody240:
The neurals on the studs<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey thanks for the heads up but at nismoparts.com there are two lengths. Which one would be recomended, I have a 17x7 rims with +40 offset and I need 20mm spacers. Also the 'special' lug nuts for these rims will cap the stud so it can't be too long. Will a 50mm stud be enough or should I go 60mm?

01-23-2002, 09:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NismoLuv:
Will a 50mm stud be enough or should I go 60mm?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, since the OE studs are ~42 mm long, and you want 20mm spacers, get the 60mm studs.

Asad

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: asad137 ]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 09:18 PM
The studs @ nismoparts.com are 7.20 a piece!!! and I would ne 20 of them is there anywhere else to get cheaper studs? Also with H&R spacers the spacer bolts to the factory hub via the stock studs, and the extended studs bolt into the spacers and then the rim will bolt onto the spacer--correct?

01-23-2002, 09:48 PM
Also with H&R spacers the spacer bolts to the factory hub via the stock studs, and the extended studs bolt into the spacers and then the rim will bolt onto the spacer--correct?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 25mm spacers are the ones that bolt to the stock studs, and have their own studs for the wheels.

The 20mm spacers don't bolt on, they're just placed in between the wheel and the hub. That's why you need longer studs.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
01-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Hey Asad,
Can I use the 25mm in the back of my S14 to make them more fulsh with the fender or do you think I will have the tire hitting the fender? Also on the front is I use a 15mm spacer will I need longer studs?
Thanks A LOT

White_240sx
01-24-2002, 12:06 AM
Just make sure you use longer studs with the spacers and you should be fine.

ADAM HUTCHINSON
01-24-2002, 12:12 AM
as a rule of safety...min 3 threads should be visable on all the lug nuts

01-24-2002, 01:10 PM
Hey Asad,
Can I use the 25mm in the back of my S14 to make them more fulsh with the fender or do you think I will have the tire hitting the fender?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

25mm might work. You can also dial in a little more rear camber to get some more fender clearance.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>
Also on the front is I use a 15mm spacer will I need longer studs?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you should still use longer studs with a 15mm spacer.

Also, something to note -- if you're using wide tires (like 235's on a 7" rim), the tire sidewall will bulge out slightly, making the tires look more flush with the fenders even if the wheels are not.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
01-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks I'm definately going with teh 25mm in the rear on a 7 in rim. Also for the fronts what is the lowest spacer I can get away with on a +40 rim because I DO NOT want to buy longer studs. Otherwise I'll have to use 20mm spacers with studs in the front.

01-24-2002, 01:36 PM
Also for the fronts what is the lowest spacer I can get away with on a +40 rim because I DO NOT want to buy longer studs. Otherwise I'll have to use 20mm spacers with studs in the front.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that a 10mm spacer would be a stretch, but it'll "work" -- but you won't get too many threads on the lugnut, so it might not be all that safe.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
01-24-2002, 01:50 PM
Okay safety is the main issue, but will a 10mm spacers be enough to clear everything because the rim offset is +40

01-24-2002, 01:56 PM
Okay safety is the main issue, but will a 10mm spacers be enough to clear everything because the rim offset is +40<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You shouldn't have problems with the fender with only a 10mm spacer.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
01-24-2002, 01:58 PM
Not with the fenders with the wider rim and the high offset onot rubbing or hitting anything on the inside OR when making hard turns.

abailey269
01-24-2002, 03:12 PM
I put on Don's studs front and rear. I had to put two wheel spacers on the rear because i had too much threads sticking out the middle of my lug nuts. However, Don's price is great: Cut and paste from his site---

"ARP Wheel Studs
These longer studs are necessary when adding wheel spacers thicker than 1/4 inch. These 12mm x 1.5 wheel studs will allow proper thread engagement with the lug nuts. Available in packages of 5 OR individually! (Require lug nuts with Honda/GM thread pitch )
***these do NOT fit 1997 and 1998 240SXs***

ARP 12mm x 1.5 Wheel Studs (5 pack) . . . . . $11.50
ARP 12mm x 1.5 Wheel Studs (each) . . . . . $2.30"

http://www.freshalloy.com/images/imported/2002/01/power07-1.jpg

-Aubrey

BensonLovesDrifting
01-24-2002, 03:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White240sx:
Just make sure you use longer studs with the spacers and you should be fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not true. extending your studs make the studs weaker.

BensonLovesDrifting
01-24-2002, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ADAM H:
as a rule of safety...min 3 threads should be visable on all the lug nuts<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how is this? lug nuts are always different sizes... 3 threads on my lug nuts will be different than your 3 threads on your lug nuts.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-24-2002, 05:51 PM
I think the 3 threads rule was a general tip. I have decided to go with 25mm rear spacers with built in studs fron H&R and with 15mm front spacers and extended studs for the front. http://enjukuracing.com/ has the fronts for 109 dollars including 10 longer studs. Only thing I need to know is What is the diameter of the FRONT studs of a '97-'98 240sx? MOODY 240 said he had fittament problems so I just want to make sure to get the correct ones.

Thanks!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-24-2002, 10:01 PM
moody 240 or anyone else have an idea about the specs of the front studs of a 97-98 S14

osofast240
01-25-2002, 05:06 AM
Hey thanks for the heads up but at nismoparts.com there are two lengths. Which one would be recomended, I have a 17x7 rims with +40 offset and I need 20mm spacers. Also the 'special' lug nuts for these rims will cap the stud so it can't be too long. Will a 50mm stud be enough or should I go 60mm?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have a set of 60mm studs $5 each

osofast240
01-25-2002, 05:21 AM
moody 240 or anyone else have an idea about the specs of the front studs of a 97-98 S14<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>42mm in length

osofast240
01-25-2002, 05:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:

You shouldn't have problems with the fender with only a 10mm spacer.

Asad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
do you know the nurl of the stock stud

**DONOTDELETE**
01-25-2002, 05:44 AM
The "knurls" for the s-14 240 has to be:
OE SPECS ARE 42mm (F) AND 41.5mm (R)

01-25-2002, 10:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mad240se:
The "knurls" for the s-14 240 has to be:
OE SPECS ARE 42mm (F) AND 41.5mm (R)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the length of the studs. I don't know the knurl size, but if you have a paper copy of the Nissan Motorsports catalog (which I don't have handy at the moment), I believe it has that information.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
01-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Here's the scoopy scoop:
1) Spacers are the rings that serve the purpose of their namesake: to space wheels out from the hub.
2) "Spacers" that have built-in studs, and bolt to your existing hub-no matter the thickness- are called adapters. Adapters can also be used to change bolt patterns.
3) Cast spacers are what you should be wary of because they are usually not too well-balanced, and due to their construction, are more prone to failure (cracking or shattering). Spacer failure is rare as long as you torque your wheels down correctly... there is still that possibility though.
4) Billet spacers and adapters are totally safe (again, as long as you torque them to spec; but they are still better than cast spacers because they are inherently stronger)and are an acceptable method of altering wheel placement...

Demon

osofast240
01-25-2002, 04:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:

That's the length of the studs. I don't know the knurl size, but if you have a paper copy of the Nissan Motorsports catalog (which I don't have handy at the moment), I believe it has that information.

Asad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i was told by bogart the 42mm was the length of the stud. i was told the knurl is non threaded part of the stud that gets banged into the hub.
http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=25107

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: osofast240 ]

01-25-2002, 05:01 PM
Very common for aftermarket rims to use "tuner" lugnuts. They work just fine.

Oh, you may need to grind down the ends of your stock studs if they sit above the surface of the H&R adapter.

Asad

BTW Motegi says that the rims have very small opening for lug nuts and the standard types won't fit. The rims include a TUNER STYLE lugnut which is torqued with an alenkey rather than haveing to wrap a socket around it because there is not space. Anyone herad of this or think there will be fittament problems?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-25-2002, 07:35 PM
I understand that the stock studs mite have to be gournd off after the H&R rear spacers are put on the rears but in the FRONT I understand I have to remove the stock studs and in thier place put the 'extended' studs that come in the kit. How hard is this and will and ball joints, low control arms need to be removed?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-26-2002, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I have decided to buy 25mm apadters or spacers with built-in bolts. Also I am buyin 15mm front spacers with the extended studs from H&R. I am buying them through enjukaracing.com. The knurl size they have assured me will fit the front of the 240. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks I'll have some pics.

BTW Motegi says that the rims have very small opening for lug nuts and the standard types won't fit. The rims include a TUNER STYLE lugnut which is torqued with an alenkey rather than haveing to wrap a socket around it because there is not space. Anyone herad of this or think there will be fittament problems?

01-26-2002, 01:35 AM
in the FRONT I understand I have to remove the stock studs and in thier place put the 'extended' studs that come in the kit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's correct.

How hard is this
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not hard at all. The stock studs will come out with a good hammer blow or two (try and hit them dead on to force them out the back of the hub).

To put the new studs on, just insert them into the hubs, and pull them onto the hubs with a lugnut. You may need a stack of washers (1/2" plain steel washers will do) under the lugnut so you can use a socket wrench.

Hardest part is keeping the hub from turning while you're pulling the studs through.

Putting the wheels on and torquing down the lugnuts should finish the job.

and will and ball joints, low control arms need to be removed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope.

Asad

Mav1178
01-26-2002, 01:43 AM

Hardest part is keeping the hub from turning while you're pulling the studs through.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I replaced 3 studs on SoCal LM Kevin's car in about 10 minutes...

If you are replacing studs, it really helps to have a friend use a long wrench and hold the hub in place. If anything, replace the studs one at a time, don't take all of them out at the same time.

-alex

**DONOTDELETE**
01-26-2002, 04:07 AM
Cool. I have bought the spacers and hope to have them in about a week or two. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

THANKS!!!

osofast240
01-26-2002, 08:26 AM
Cool. I have bought the spacers and hope to have them in about a week or two. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

THANKS!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
if you need the 60mm lugs let me know. i just ordered custom billit aluminum 10mm spacer from bogart $25each (they will make any size you want)if you send them your rims they will put the spacer permantly on.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2002, 12:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by osofast240:

if you need the 60mm lugs let me know. i just ordered custom billit aluminum 10mm spacer from bogart $25each (they will make any size you want)if you send them your rims they will put the spacer permantly on.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks but the 25mm H&R spacers have built in studs and the 15mm one come with studs in the kit.
I was talking to the guys @ enjukaracing and they suggested 25mm all around so my track width wouldn't be out of whack. Would a 25mm spacers effectivly making the rims +15 offsets, work on a S14, without having the wheels extending over the fenders? Does anyone have rims and or spacers with a 15 or so offset?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2002, 08:03 PM
NEW QUESTION: If the stock S14 offset is +40 then why do I need spacers?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2002, 08:47 PM

I'd say that a 10mm spacer would be a stretch, but it'll "work" -- but you won't get too many threads on the lugnut, so it might not be all that safe.

Asad<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
People here are telling me that I can run 40+ offsets w/o spacers because that's the offset of the stock rim. Please clafify...

**DONOTDELETE**
01-27-2002, 09:22 PM

People here are telling me that I can run 40+ offsets w/o spacers because that's the offset of the stock rim. Please clafify...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's +40mm offset on a 6.5" rim, G

01-27-2002, 11:00 PM

People here are telling me that I can run 40+ offsets w/o spacers because that's the offset of the stock rim. Please clafify...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anyone ever said you couldn't run a 17x7 +40. You wanted info on spacers, so that's what you got.

Yes, you can run those wheels without spacers if you like. Because it's such a high offset, the wheels will be pushed in pretty far...

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
01-28-2002, 04:21 PM
Okay thanks, I am sorry to have asked the wrong question but grateful fror all of the aquired knowledge. Thanks for all of your help, I am still going with spacers.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-28-2002, 09:26 PM
whether safe or not, it all depends, I personally do not have any experience with them, but I do JIC Magic makes some

mrmephistopheles
01-29-2002, 07:59 AM
10 minutes my butt.. there was one that was driving us all nuts. I forgot who ended up getting it out..

Kevin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mav1178:

I replaced 3 studs on SoCal LM Kevin's car in about 10 minutes...

If you are replacing studs, it really helps to have a friend use a long wrench and hold the hub in place. If anything, replace the studs one at a time, don't take all of them out at the same time.

-alex<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>