PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fluid GL-4 or GL-5?

maxxedsx
11-15-2005, 03:39 PM
I want to change my tranny fluid and I read that you should use GL-4. However, I can't find GL-4 fluid. Is redline the the only GL-4 Fluid?

The Lucas tanny fluid says "meets all GL standards". Input please....... Thanks.

s13SRmadness
11-15-2005, 03:45 PM
g;-5 will kill your tranny over time.
dont do it.

cardriver
11-15-2005, 04:10 PM
NO to GL-5
YES to GL-4
make the right choice for your kids!!!
http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

teddyb19
11-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Pennzoil Synchromesh is a GL-4 fluid, and you can pick that up at pretty much any Autozone or Advance Auto.

Brad
11-15-2005, 06:10 PM
synchromesh is hell on copper synchros, dont do it

i used redline heavy shockproof and it was nice

Amalgam
11-15-2005, 06:16 PM
I believe the synchros are brass not copper but, who cares. This issue is that GL-5 is corrosive to them and can shorten synchro life in half. Synchromesh should be fine however, it works very well in Honda transmissions, which also have brass synchros but, viscosity may be an issue.

I had the same problem finding GL-4 for my tranny, no autoparts store locally had it, nor did they know the difference between them. My saving grace was actually a local Jiffy Lube who had GL-4 in stock because they knew that some vehicles required it, try checking there first.

The "meets all GL standards" fluid should work but, if you have time why not spend the money on Redline MT-90 just for piece of mind?

-Rodney

slipnfall
11-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Some auto parts stores can order Redline oils for you, so be sure to ask: the east-coast AdvanceAuto can(I wish I knew that before I ordered it directly from them).

Also I found a lot of bike(motorcycle) shops carry RedLine fluids, so check there too.

cwdmark
11-16-2005, 10:50 AM
redline or bust. don't take the easy way out. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

you may be able to find gl-4 at a nissan dealership also..

s13SRmadness
11-16-2005, 01:46 PM
go with mt90.
i talked to a guy at theoilshop.com and he said that heavy shock proof was ok, but the mt90 was the far better choice.

cardriver
11-16-2005, 01:59 PM
question.
do any of you guys mix a small amount of ATF with to make smoother shifts? i heard someone saying that it helps anyone clarify this?

shane_B
11-17-2005, 09:23 AM
I dont. I run redline GL4 and it shifts fine. The GL5 is too slick also. I accidentally used it and noticed that my syncros werent doing their job as well until the oil heated up.

brentellis
11-17-2005, 12:07 PM
I use Redline heavy duty shock proof. Is this bad for my syncros? It doesn't say if it is a GL-4 or GL-5.

s13SRmadness
11-18-2005, 02:11 AM
I use Redline heavy duty shock proof. Is this bad for my syncros? It doesn't say if it is a GL-4 or GL-5.

just use the mt90. and sleep soundly. the hebvy shock proof rumor is unsafe un my book. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Amalgam
11-18-2005, 09:32 AM
As for the API rating debate of GL-4 versus GL-5; I did some research looking for a technical paper that Castrol produced addressing this issue but, I can't seem to find it anywhere now. However, I did find this on Redline's website....

Most manufacturers of manual transmissions and transaxles recommend an 80W or 90W GL - 4 lubricant. GL - 5 gears oils which are required in hypoid differentials are not used in most synchromesh transmissions because the chemicals used to provide the extreme pressure protection can be corrosive to synchronizers, which are commonly made of brass or bronze. Typically, the use of a GL - 5 lubricant in a synchromesh transmission will shorten the synchronizer life by one half. The extreme pressure requirements of spur gears and helical gears found in transmissions are not nearly as great as found in rear-wheel drive differentials. A GL - 4 lubricant provides adequate protection for most manual transmissions, unless a unique design consideration requires the extra protection of a GL - 5."

I also found a "Lubricant and Oil Analysis" forum, and the people on their generally support what is on Redline's site but, some seem to think it depends on the manufacturer. It's a good read, these guys seem to know their oil.

Click! (http://www.oilanalysis.com/message_boards/message_details_by_list.asp?wordsearch=Multiple+AP I+Ratings&Submit=Search)

-Rodney

brentellis
11-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the good info and the heads up. I'll change my tranny fluid this winter.

maxxedsx
11-18-2005, 11:05 AM
FYI I put in the REDLINE MT90 GL-4 and it shifts so much better. Well worth it!

datboibrad
11-20-2005, 09:15 PM
ok lets say im running mobil 1 synthetic gl5 75w90 can i just drain it and then switch over to redline gl4 90 weight?

maxxedsx
11-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Yes you can and you should. The chemicals in GL-5 fluid are corrosive to our synros.

datboibrad
11-20-2005, 09:58 PM
how long is to long to run on this fluid? ive had it for maybe less then 200 miles but it has sat up in my garage with fluid for a while. i also noticed that it does grind when first driving the car but later it doesnt

JonnieFraz
11-21-2005, 11:29 AM
What have you guys heard about Royal Purple? So far what I have read is that it is "amazing stuff", what do you guys think?

TS4l
11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I had Royal purple in my car and loved it. I then switched when I changed my clutch to Redline Heavy shock proof. I prefered the Royal purple but I liked both. The redline was so thick I always drove slowly to warm up the tranny and shifted a little nicer until it warmed up. I just saw in Super street of something a big article on people warming up thier engine and then driving hard without giving the tranny fluid time to warm up. Article was saying that its a good idea to take a slow lap around the block or something to warm it up and let the gears all get lubricated. Just thought I'd share what I read. The redline was always really notchy until it warmed up. Thats what always made me take it easy on things until it warmed up.

Enthalpy
11-21-2005, 03:36 PM
SHock proof is NOT a manual tranny lubricant! call redline and ask them. it si NOT designed for a synchro mesh tranny at all! it is desinged for dog boxes and differntials. it does not have the correct friction modificaiton properties for a manual tranny. it will kill your synchros. especaily if you live in a cold climate.

Redline MT-90 is the only thing you should ever put in a Nissan KA/SR tranny.

98sr20ve
11-22-2005, 09:10 AM
SHock proof is NOT a manual tranny lubricant! call redline and ask them. it si NOT designed for a synchro mesh tranny at all! it is desinged for dog boxes and differntials. it does not have the correct friction modificaiton properties for a manual tranny. it will kill your synchros. especaily if you live in a cold climate.

SE-R cup racers use Heavy Duty Shockproof almost exclusively in their fragil FWD transmissions. People often use the lightweight shockproof for daily driver SE-R cars. Once they warm up they shift fine. Had I kept my SR20VE car that was used for HPDE's a lot I would have switched to the shockproof. Neither the MT90 or the Motul fluid I tried could stand the pressure of 20 mins at the track with out causing shifting issues into 4th gear. Depending on what you do with the car some people really need the "Race" fluid in their street gearbox's. It is really too thick for running on the street but once it warms up it works fine. I would be curious to talk to Redline myself again if I found a need for it. Now that I don't have a fragil FWD transmission to worry about I don't think that day will ever come. I would be interested in hearing if they don't recommend it due to the slow response of the syncros when the oil is cold (which I think a good driver can drive around) or if there is another reason. Clearly, if you force a car with HD Shockproof into gears while cold you would have issues, but once its warm its just not an issue any longer.

golfer17
12-06-2005, 12:15 AM
gl5 is usually corrosive to older cars' brass synchros (although i have seen some gl5 that said it wasnt, i wont believe it without proof).

pennzoil/gm synchromesh is gl4 and a lot of ppl with "glass tranny" vr4's and awd dsm's swear by it. i thought it was pretty good stuff, didnt really notice much difference though when i took the mobil 1 gl5, that i mistakenly put in, out for it.

paemt
12-06-2005, 04:33 AM

I just ordered MT-90 before I read this. It states exactly what you said on the Redline Web Site. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chad

driftts14
12-06-2005, 10:14 PM
is it ok to use this motul fluid in my vlsd and 5 spd tranny?

http://www.motorspot.com/dir.cfm?sec...&end=1&itemid=

its the last product on the bottom of the page.