PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber hood

reduz
12-01-2005, 12:23 AM
Was wondering if anyone knows where i can purchase a carbon fiber hood for my 1970 510. Thanks

sr20powered510
12-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Mario over at TSR Fabrications in Torrence. He sells them for i think $500. Thats where my budy got his.

Demon
01-15-2006, 12:05 PM
I made one for my last 510, I am thinking about making a new mold and doing it over again since it seems that there is a slight need for it. It is very easy to do, the only draw back is the type of resin you have to use for the high temperatures in the engine compartment. Carbon fiber cloth is fairly inexpensive, but the materials would range at about 100.00 per hood since you would have to do about 3 layers of carbon fiber. Or you could do one layer of carbon fiber and 2 layers of cheap fiberglass mat. The mold could be a time consuming process too depending on functionality of the hood (ie stock hood prop, aftermarket shocks, stock latch mechanism, etc..).

reduz
01-29-2006, 06:04 PM
How heavy would the carbon fibre hood weigh compared to the stock. With my 510 right now I am trying to get it light as possible without drastically changing the body. On your previous hood did you put everything in the stock location?

Demon
02-01-2006, 01:54 PM
When I did my previous hood it only weighed about 5lbs with the stock latch attached. The heaviest part of the hood is the resin.

reduz
02-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Would you be interested in making another?

Demon
02-07-2006, 03:13 PM
It is a very intensive process, If I decide to make at least 20 or 30 then I might.

reduz
02-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah I wouldn't even know where to start. Well if we could get enough interest, but I just got into 510s and I dont know if theres a large enough demand for carbon fiber hoods.

jdm894g
02-07-2006, 06:10 PM
i would be interested if the price is right. also if it bolt on like a stock hood with stock mounting hardware.

Demon
02-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Well epoxy resin is about 80.00 per gal and carbon fiber is about 45.00 per yard and it would take about 6 yards to do a complete carbon fiber hood (a lot of hoods are only one layer of carbon fiber and the rest fiberglass) so 345.00 just in materials alone. I wouldnt touch it for no less than 500.00 per hood with a minimum of 10 hoods pre ordered. Now I bet nobody is interested anymore. It would be considerably cheaper if you went with one layer of carbon fiber and the rest are fiberglass(two other layers).

jdm894g
02-11-2006, 10:56 PM
i would purchse a carbon fiber hood for 500. I don't care if it has 2 layers of fiberglass.

Demon
02-13-2006, 08:20 AM
The price would be cheaper if I used one layer of Carbon Fiber and two layers of fiberglass. Fiberglass is considerably inexpensive. I would have to say 375.00 per hood with one layer carbon fiber and two layers of fiberglass.

Demon
02-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Just in case anyone needs a carbon fiber hood now here is a place where you can get them from:

http://www.classicdatsun.com/new/510_glass_new.html

If anyone is seriously interested I can make them but let me explain the process of making a carbon fiber hood.

1. You have to make your mold and making a mold is no simple task, you need a good donor hood and you mold the top skin of the hood. Once that is done you have to mold the inside of the hood or design your own structural reinforcements.
2. Once your molds are complete you make a hood out of cheap fiberglass and test fit it to make sure everything is in proper alignment, it usually takes a little tweaking.
3. If everything is perfect you then start the hood making process and each hood can be made in a day.

You also have certain qualities that you look for in a carbon fiber hood.

1. The type of resin used. Epoxy Resin is very expensive but it is one of the only resins used to handle heat and the chemicals located within the engine compartment. Polyester resins will break down with high temperatures.

2. Some manufacturers use only 1 layer of carbon fiber and the rest fiberglass along with inexpensive polyester resins.

3. Stock mounting locations, this can be a difficult process to implement into the hood and some manufacturers do not even use them, some require hood pins.

blur
04-15-2006, 11:27 PM
I want one...

davex2
06-08-2006, 12:44 AM
you can use polyvinyl resin to split he difference between epoxy and polyester. (cost and durability) but you are correct (demon)