PDA

View Full Version : Not all sunshine and lollipops in Forced Induction

palmerwmd
12-01-2005, 06:43 PM
My ATI Procharger has always had this weird metallic undertone to it operational noise.

Everyone said it was normal, even tho I found it excessive from Day 1.
Called ATI on it some months ago and they said it was normal...

Soooo...

As the months go by, every thing is fine, car boosts full boost and then some (10 and quarter psi at 6400rpm on "9 psi" Pully at the time)

but lately it seems this noise has become worse, a marbles in can, noise kinda...

the exact same as before, except before it wasnt as noticable, just an "off" secondary sound to the compressor.

It seems I heard it first, when parked on an incline and it would disappear shortly after..

It still also goes away, if there is any load at all on the car.

But the noise is so annoying+ embarssing when at idle, at a stoplight, it makes me just want to trade in the car for an 06 w/ th rev-up motor and either do no Mods, or add a ( you guessed it, Turbonetics ST down the road).

Of course trading in my car, would be <expensive> as I have in excess of 36,000 miles on this 04 (one of the last 04's made) in 13 months since showroom new..

Why would I even consider this?
because i know what a nightmare its gonna be to address this.
They will likely make me uninstall entire assembly and send to ATI labor and shipping my expense.

and last time I talked to them they were kind aquestioning the warranty because their records show the kit was sold months before I appllied for the warranty.

Which it was, to the vendor, whom of course didnt sell it the day it came in.

I am first retail customer on this previosuly uninstalled kit and they asked me to fax the receipt, which I have asoftcopy of from the shop on my old computer which isnt hooked up,.and it goes downhill from there..

So I have a feeling a major warranty call (after they already covered a jackshaft assembly) might be problematic.

I had alterd atmosphere check out the unit and they said no loose bearings and blades seemed fine ( touch+visual inspection thru front of unit after airfilter off, as far as I know, they didnt actually open it up, maybe I oughta call and ask)

AAM has done a lot of prochargers so they outta know, but even they felt, the noise was excessive, just didnt have a handy explanation for it.

For all I know ,the unit will keep functioning properly for years to come (still makes better than spec boost), but this noise is making me want to dump it and start afresh somewhow.

Irrational?
Maybe but I cant enjoy my Z like this.

Stay tuned for further exciting developments.. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wperdigon
12-01-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm telling you Fred - you have two things to consider - find another z with the kit on it and see what it sounds like, if it's the same then you will know - or you can sell your kit and take the funds from it, build up a nasty n/a engine with the stroker kit, be in the same power range, and have it be safer and more reliable -

palmerwmd
12-01-2005, 07:40 PM
I am reasonably certain they arent supposed to sound quite like this, the AAM guys felt the same way and they have installed a bunch of of ATI Procharger kits on 350Z.

the funds I would realize from sale of the kit would be only a fraction of the cost of kit parts +J&S Ultraafseguard installed, + install/tune, which totalled $6700.

Not counting ancillary costs since then.

Of course some of my other Mods I could keep (Spacer, Hi-flows,Y-Pipe, reflash, EGT gauge)

Howevr in some ways, I am loathe to give up the kit, especially as it works so well , and IMO very safe right now.

maybe I <will> hassle with the manufacturer over the holidays, especially since the stroker kit parts are soooo expensive.

Deathmage
12-01-2005, 08:38 PM
man, that sucks. It sounds like a timing chain issue. it must be rubbing. It doesn't sound like engine problem at all, or even the SC (don't quote me on it though).

idrive
12-01-2005, 09:14 PM
having been next to the car many times i would say its not a timing chain noise, it is coming directly from the s/c. it does have that "loose bearing being chewed on" kinda sound that I and others have always questioned fred about. Most s/c i have come across have always had a whine/whistle to them, not a metal crunching esque sound.

Good luck fred, I would say stick it through (because you do seem happy/content with the results) and fight the warranty mongrals!

Just hold your gun while on the phone, it will help.

imported_Ish_
12-02-2005, 08:35 AM
If your gonna hold your gun I recommend talking to them in person... bet it will get more done http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cdlong
12-02-2005, 10:28 AM
i can only offer moral support since i know virtually nothing about the 350Z. but good luck, i would go the warranty route too.

i know the feeling, of all the stuff i have done to my car, about half of it has some qwirk that annoys the crap out of me.

wperdigon
12-02-2005, 02:42 PM
man, that sucks. It sounds like a timing chain issue. it must be rubbing. It doesn't sound like engine problem at all, or even the SC (don't quote me on it though).

I think it's the idler pulley that is making so much noise personally - but then again - what do I know?

wperdigon
12-02-2005, 02:43 PM
having been next to the car many times i would say its not a timing chain noise, it is coming directly from the s/c. it does have that "loose bearing being chewed on" kinda sound that I and others have always questioned fred about. Most s/c i have come across have always had a whine/whistle to them, not a metal crunching esque sound.

Good luck fred, I would say stick it through (because you do seem happy/content with the results) and fight the warranty mongrals!

Just hold your gun while on the phone, it will help.

I agree - I think it's the idler pulley or the other one that is right there - I don't know the name of it - either way - it doesn't sound right, but then again, it needs to be compared to another z with the same kit I think also

NissanShane
12-03-2005, 05:10 AM
Fred,

On my Spec V I had a "Marble bouncing around sound" coming from my engine compartment. I thought that maybe one of my bolts had come loose on my JWT flywheel. It sounded like the bolt was just bouncing around in the clutch/flywheel assembly whenever the clutch was out. Well, it ended up being my "input bearing" in my transmission. $600.00 later my car was perfect and I was holding the input bearing in my hand. The bearing where the metal balls roll against the inner polished lip on my input bearing had a little blemish to it. It looked like a drop of acid had touched the polished metal and eaten the polish off a little bit and caused it to crater slightly.

I'd be suprised if you have the same problem but it was bothering me forever. I finally brought it in to a transmission shop. The noise was the bearing balls rubbing against the pitted surface. It sounded like marbles bouncing around.

Bottom line is that it could be something outside your Supercharger. Get a screwdriver and press the tip against your supercharger and put your ear on the end of the screwdriver and listen to see if it is in fact coming from your Supercharger.

Does the noise dissapear when you press the clutch in?

This probably won't help but I thought I'd share my experience....you never know.

Shane

palmerwmd
12-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Shane,

The noise appears independent of clutch postion of seems wholly dependent on rpm (or lack tehreof).

I am leaning more towards the jackshaft assembly now than ever as it appears to be coming apart.

Fred.. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

helldorado
12-28-2005, 02:09 PM
The Vortech units have a similar problem with the "crunching walnuts" type of sound. There is a fix to quiet that noise. If I can find out process, I'll pass that info on to you.

palmerwmd
12-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Found out the reason:

It was the jackshaft assembly going out, since the bolt that was holding it in was loose.

Being loose meant the force on it was acting off angle totally ruining the bearings.

Got a new assembly, problem should be solved ( but didnt put new belt on yet, will stay N/A until spring I think)

Fred..