PDA

View Full Version : MSD DIS-4, need HELP

240Shorty
12-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I am looking to run a MSD box with individual coil setup. Now i have already tried to talk to the guys at MSD but they are all a bunch of asses. Anyways i have seen setups like this in australia and wondering if anyone has some info on it... http://www.gtautosound.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=2 i was wondering if you could just get the DIS-4 and 4 coils and itll work? if so where do you connect the signal wires to the box before or after the ignitor chip??? thanks guys

killjoy
12-05-2005, 11:17 AM
I ran that setup with a dis-2 because I was using wasted spark but smae principle. Either one will work. I used mine in conjunction with a haltech though so I am not sure how much help mine will be. I had a diagram for wiring the wasted spark iginition to the ignitor so i just ran 2 coils to each input. You will put them all in individually though since you have the dis 4. The dis-4 will be wired in series between the ignitor and coils iirc.

SR20240Z
12-05-2005, 11:58 AM
DOES ANYONE HAVE A WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THE MSD DIS-2 OR 4 INTO A SR20DET? I'VE BEEN CONTEMPLATING GETTING ONE BUT THERE IS NO WIRING HELP OUT THERE. I'VE BEEN SEARCHING WITH NO RESULTS FOR AWHILE NOW.

I KNOW MSD SAYS TO SPLICE BETWEEN THE POWER AND NEGATIVE TERMINALS ON THE COIL.... BUT IIRC OUR COILS HAVE CONSTANT POWER WITH A SEPARATE SIGNAL WIRE, WHICH IS DIFFERENT THAN THE COILS MSD HAS REFFERENCED.

killjoy
12-05-2005, 12:52 PM
It really wasn't that bad and was pretty simple to figure it out. It was a great coil for me. I say buy it and give it a try.

SR20240Z
12-05-2005, 01:25 PM
DID YOU WIRE THE DIS INTO THE SIGNAL WIRE OR THE NEGATIVE WIRE?

Dcell
12-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Ever notice how NASCAR and GT1 cars run 2 MSD boxes? That is because when the one fails or overheats, they have a backup. I also find it interesting that their "race-only" boxes exclude the multi-spark function. They remove the item that gives them their namesake.
If you want a quality ignition amplifyer, buy the B&M box. I believe it's now marketed as the XS engineering ignition amplifyer, very simple and it works. I have it on my 240, I've installed it on 700+ hp turbo IS300's, and on a 900+ hp R32 running LS1 coils. Hands down the best on the market. Do yourself a favor and never buy the AEM C2DI either. They have a high failure rate, so much so they come with a jumper plug, so that when it fails, you can drive home on your stock ignition.

240Shorty
12-06-2005, 06:19 AM
so i was looking at the wiring diagrams trying to figure it all out...it looks as though all you do is splice the box inbetween the trigger wires and the 12v wires...So as far as i understand the box would send a higher 12v signal to the coils (would that mess the stock coils up??) and then it sends signal for the multipal spark below 3000rpm... also Dcell i am looking for something that has it all in one...2 step and better spark...thats the only reason i rather go MSD box rather than a 2 step module and a amplifier....

ItzGenX
12-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Ever notice how NASCAR and GT1 cars run 2 MSD boxes? That is because when the one fails or overheats, they have a backup. I also find it interesting that their "race-only" boxes exclude the multi-spark function. They remove the item that gives them their namesake.
If you want a quality ignition amplifyer, buy the B&M box. I believe it's now marketed as the XS engineering ignition amplifyer, very simple and it works. I have it on my 240, I've installed it on 700+ hp turbo IS300's, and on a 900+ hp R32 running LS1 coils. Hands down the best on the market. Do yourself a favor and never buy the AEM C2DI either. They have a high failure rate, so much so they come with a jumper plug, so that when it fails, you can drive home on your stock ignition.

My C2DI worked fine for the past couple years, and I've brought it to hell and back multiple times. You must have bad luck with them. As for MSDs, I have witnessed several failures in nissan, honda, and toyota applications. The units range from the regular run of the mill model to the digital and dis systems. The MSD units seem to have a 50/50 failure rate in a 1 year time span.

SR20240Z
12-06-2005, 07:08 AM
I'VE HAD ABOUT 10 DIFFERENT MSD BOXES ON DIFFERENT V8'S WITH NO PROBLEMS.... I THINK THOSE FAILURES ARE MORE TO DO WITH INSTALLATION ERROR OR IMPROPER PLACEMENT THAN THE UNIT ITSELF. THIS IS WHY I WANT TO MAKE SURE HOW TO INSTALL THIS PROPERLY THE FIRST TIME RATHER THAN RUINING THE BOX.

MSD IGNITIONS ARE FAR BETTER THAN THE B&M NEW VOLT (WHICH IS NOTHING LIKE THE DIS-2/4, BTW!) AND ON PAR WITH THE C2DI (ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THIS IS LACK OF 2-STEP AND BOOST RETARD).

killjoy
12-06-2005, 10:38 AM
People had told me this too about the MSD boxes and said they fail all the time but mine was great. It fixed my breakup at high rpms that I dicked with for over a 3 months. It was easy to install and had the jumper so if it ever failed you are not stranded. It was also helpful for troubleshooting too. You switch it back and test it so you can't blame the igntion. I am sure others work just as well. I have always herad good things about the c2di and HK$. MSD is like the autometer of ignitions. Everybody dogs them but they use them in every fast drag car so I don't see how they can be that bad.