PDA

View Full Version : 800 hp Jun SR20DET

Irie_eyes
01-31-2002, 11:48 AM
I think I seen in a magazine a 800 hp Australian Jun SR20DET.
Is that the highest anyone seen? It was in Banzai something magazine...

**DONOTDELETE**
01-31-2002, 02:14 PM
yep the magazine's called Japanese Banzai i beleive. the SR was fitted with Jun's stroker kit and upped the displacement .2 liters. Jun even slapped their trademark green & yellow valve cover on it. very nice! and yes 800 hp is the highest i've ever seen

s13SRmadness
01-31-2002, 02:17 PM
a feat all but impossible for that loveable little truck motor...
i would sell my girlfriend for that motor... http://www.freshalloy.com/

'97 S14 SE Turbo
01-31-2002, 02:22 PM
Don't mean to sound mean, because it is a mean statement: That's is a dumb statement...

Let's say you throw the same amount of $$$$ into your lovable little truck motor and see how close can you get...

Sure, 800hp is a lot, but it's not streetable with it's 30+psi of boost. Good luck with engine life. A race motor is a race motor. 120+ Octane leaded fuel, big turbo without filter, etc.

People need to start making a distinction between streetable setup power vs all out racing-I-don't-give-a-damn-about-engine-life-power.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by s13SRmadness:
i would sell my girlfriend for that motor... http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

s13SRmadness
01-31-2002, 02:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Y.:
Don't mean to sound mean, because it is a mean statement: That's is a dumb statement...

Let's say you throw the same amount of $$$$ into your lovable little truck motor and see how close can you get...

Sure, 800hp is a lot, but it's not streetable with it's 30+psi of boost. Good luck with engine life. A race motor is a race motor. 120+ Octane leaded fuel, big turbo without filter, etc.

People need to start making a distinction between streetable setup power vs all out racing-I-don't-give-a-damn-about-engine-life-power.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've made the distinction. i do not think the ka is capable of making that power short of a miracle. race engine or not a ka has never approached 800. http://www.freshalloy.com/

'97 S14 SE Turbo
01-31-2002, 02:44 PM
And do you know that I totally agree on that thought!!!

600hp is just more than plenty. Any more than that is pretty useless for anything short of highend drag racing. I don't see the need for anyone to push 800hp on a KA when they could just go buy a JZA80 Supra and push 870rwhp on a HKS GT2835 twin on a stock bottom end.

800hp is simply too much strain for any 4 banger...

All I want is 450rwhp. Don't care if it's with a KA or a SR. What matter is the $$$$. So far it's been pretty cost effective for me to go the KA route.

s13SRmadness
01-31-2002, 02:52 PM
sounds good to me. i'm only aiming for about 330rwhp for my sr. i want the fastest spooling 330, the broadest powerband 330, and the smoothest revving 330 possible. another goal would be overall reliabiltiy. i didn't think that all this is possible with the ka. good luck to you though. 450whp is a hell of a lot. my friend is getting his fd out of the shop soon and will be making around 550whp. it previously pushed something around 270. it's been in shops for years and when he gets it out i'm predicting that he puts it into the wall at e-town. 330rwhp will be plenty.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
01-31-2002, 04:08 PM
well, so far my KA+T @ 318rwhp has been pretty reliable. Very snappy throttle response, and big torque band.

Like Greaser said in another thread, I need to get my behind in gear and get a real down pipe, 0.82 A/R turbine housing, and install my EBC... Then the car would be at a reasonable 350rwhp daily driven status.

So, so far, 2+ years, 35,000+ miles, numerous open track events, number of long distance drive across the country, and the motor only gets oil changes... Talk about reliability. Even managed up to 34mpg!!!

C-Kwik
01-31-2002, 08:54 PM
If I had the money, I'd build a 800 HP KA just to prove it could be done. Anyone want to really explain why they think a KA can't hit 800HP? If they can build a 300 HP N/A, SOHC, Sidedraft equipped, Venturi restricted KA, then by golly, why not a 800HP turbo monster?

SR20DEN
01-31-2002, 09:03 PM
If an Oldsmobile team in the late 80's could build a 600hp Quad 4 for 200 MPH runs at the Bonneville salt flats and then another team build another Quad 4 that made between 1200 - 1500hp then there is no reason an 800hp KA couldn't be done.
These Quad 4's were in heavily modified Olds Cutlass Calais. The ladder was RWD and hit 240mph before something broke.

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: SR20DEN ]

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2002, 02:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Y.:

Like Greaser said in another thread, I need to get my behind in gear and get a real down pipe, 0.82 A/R turbine housing, and install my EBC... Then the car would be at a reasonable 350rwhp daily driven status.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it true that SR downpipe would work for KA turbo? I have heard this rumor going around lately, plus the fact a KA turbo customer bought a Blitz stainless downpipe from me.

If so, I got a downpipe for you T.Y. http://www.freshalloy.com/

Also, the fact your motor last this long and this healthy my hats is off to you.

Tx.

Wayne http://www.phase2motortrend.com

Kin_D
02-01-2002, 02:56 AM
I just want to be like Takeumi ;_;

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by s13SRmadness:
sounds good to me. i'm only aiming for about 330rwhp for my sr. i want the fastest spooling 330, the broadest powerband 330, and the smoothest revving 330 possible. another goal would be overall reliabiltiy. i didn't think that all this is possible with the ka. good luck to you though. 450whp is a hell of a lot. my friend is getting his fd out of the shop soon and will be making around 550whp. it previously pushed something around 270. it's been in shops for years and when he gets it out i'm predicting that he puts it into the wall at e-town. 330rwhp will be plenty.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2002, 03:06 AM

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would never even dream of getting near 800HP with the turck motor. There was however, a strret driven S15 with a Jun engine, still in development, and it pumped out 590HP and i think it is the same engine you guys are talking about, it is a Perth based company who is building it. Well this engine is now in an S15, that is street driven, with a T88 34D turbo.
The guy who drives it every day says that it is quite fine to drive as a street car, but is down tuned to about 450HP.
He is also quoted at saying, there is nothing like dropping it from 6th to 5th, at 250km/hr and wheelspinning...
if only we all had that problem???
http://www.freshalloy.com/

-Josh

ruf4play
02-01-2002, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fatboy_josh:

You would never even dream of getting near 800HP with the turck motor. There was however, a strret driven S15 with a Jun engine, still in development, and it pumped out 590HP and i think it is the same engine you guys are talking about, it is a Perth based company who is building it. Well this engine is now in an S15, that is street driven, with a T88 34D turbo.
The guy who drives it every day says that it is quite fine to drive as a street car, but is down tuned to about 450HP.
He is also quoted at saying, there is nothing like dropping it from 6th to 5th, at 250km/hr and wheelspinning...
if only we all had that problem???
http://www.freshalloy.com/

-Josh<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gearbox upgrades? Geez...

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Unfortunately, that is not the case. I've already test fitted a Blitz SS downpipe and found the forward flange is a different angle. Using the SR downpipe will leave the back end of the downpipe dragging on the street. He could be very well modifying the front flange to get it to work.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tristarx:
Is it true that SR downpipe would work for KA turbo? I have heard this rumor going around lately, plus the fact a KA turbo customer bought a Blitz stainless downpipe from me.

If so, I got a downpipe for you T.Y. http://www.freshalloy.com/

Also, the fact your motor last this long and this healthy my hats is off to you.

Tx.

Wayne http://www.phase2motortrend.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-01-2002, 11:53 AM
Based on what info? What information do you have that says that level of power cannot be had from a 2.4L cast iron block motor? You are just basing this on your lack of knowledge about the 240SX KA. And for the umpteen time, it's not a truck motor. The truck motor is a derivative of this motor. The KA is related to the old L, and Z series motors.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fatboy_josh:
You would never even dream of getting near 800HP with the turck motor. -Josh<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2002, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know how much the JUN crate motors are? I've heard $10,000. Just want to confirm.

p.s. Irie_eyes... How ya get your name?

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-01-2002, 01:58 PM
Sounds kinda low... Considering Tomei's TSR380 is about $12,500.00 dollars, and it's not even a stroker motor. And there is still an additional core charge too on top of that!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rasta:
Does anyone know how much the JUN crate motors are? I've heard $10,000. Just want to confirm.

p.s. Irie_eyes... How ya get your name?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2002, 03:59 PM
how can a jun 800hp sr run 11's and duy's 550-600hp (estimated) s14 run 10.8's in street trim?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2002, 05:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 240style:
how can a jun 800hp sr run 11's and duy's 550-600hp (estimated) s14 run 10.8's in street trim?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's like jun's 700hp SR20 running mid 8s (in race trim) whereas no one else has run 8s (in any trim) with any other full-chassis S-car.

Demon

NOSTALGIC_HERO
02-01-2002, 06:40 PM
HAHA demon, once again, taking the words right out of my mouth!!! on a side note, it would be nice to see this: - race prepped 600hp KA24DE powered S13, custom crash box,multiplate clutch, flat mounted intercooler with custom high speed aero goods and 300zx TT rear end, 200mph+. THATS what 2.4 liters will do. I would like to try (while i have my SR for street play)

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Escaflowne ]

Irie_eyes
02-02-2002, 12:22 AM
truck motor/car motor...
kinda like LS1-based truck and SUVs are also F-body engines.

Truck engines are just tweaked for more torque and don't rpm as high. make a truck engine to a car engine and vise versa...same engine

I think the 800 hp Jun motor does 11s in street trim.

And yea, it's a just for fun motor. It is Jun flexing it's tuning muscle. In a tweak racing chassis, it could do 8s easy, but they want a rolling advertisment basically.
Look at some 1000 hp Supras... they are street cars that do 10s...because they also want them to be streetable. The only way to go faster is make more power... It's their money...

quest
02-02-2002, 01:11 AM
Ah yeah... more SR hype
Its amazing how folks bash the "truck" motor and just discount it based on nothing but "feeling". KA runs 10.8s and they still don't get it.
Being a starion guy, I face the same nonsense! Go tell Sakura about his lazy azz truck motor with no hp http://www.freshalloy.com/ I will take on any street car with a mpfi starion 2.6... SRs are no match, really.

What gets me is how come you don't see the greeeaaattt SR dominating even the puny hondas in the drag racing world.... Are SRs even competitive? Why does anytime the SR capability comes up, its abroad... can't they perform on US soil? Are drag racers dumb? Do they like loosing? Don't they realize that they can just get a tube chasis, plug in an SR and wipe out the focus, mazda, etc... dream on.

On one side of the fence, one camp gets off on quoting high hp figures with high rpm winding motors.. supras and SRs are prime examples.
The other side are lower revving torque monsters that put the smack down.... timeslips. GNs and DSMs comes to mind

Wobble
02-02-2002, 01:54 AM
If you think you need more than 300 hp in your car just to make it an acceptable daily driver... you need to get yerself a jet aircraft of some sort.. and counseling http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
02-02-2002, 04:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quest:
Being a starion guy, I face the same nonsense! Go tell Sakura about his lazy azz truck motor with no hp
What gets me is how come you don't see the greeeaaattt SR dominating even the puny hondas in the drag racing world.... Are SRs even competitive? Why does anytime the SR capability comes up, its abroad... can't they perform on US soil? Are drag racers dumb? Do they like loosing? Don't they realize that they can just get a tube chasis, plug in an SR and wipe out the focus, mazda, etc... dream on.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Is sakura still using that holley intake manifold with the hat plenum?
2) Yes, US-based import drag racers ARE dumb. They are running mostly all Hondas. Are you defending them for that...? Where are the SRs? Heck, where are the KAs? Oh, duy's got it. Oh wait, no he doesn't. etc etc...

Demon

osofast240
02-02-2002, 04:14 AM
i would sell my girlfriend for that motor... http://www.freshalloy.com/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

its not a truck motor. and yes the ka can handle 800hp but it will cost you 16,000 using my/performance factory specs. mabey i can give you the work order numbers from crower.

i dont think so.

any engine builder knows a engine is an engine, pistons are pistons, and rods are rods. if they make pistons, rods and valves for trucks let me know.

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: osofast240 ]

osofast240
02-02-2002, 04:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quest:
Ah yeah... more SR hype
Its amazing how folks bash the "truck" motor and just discount it based on nothing but "feeling". KA runs 10.8s and they still don't get it.
Being a starion guy, I face the same nonsense! Go tell Sakura about his lazy azz truck motor with no hp http://www.freshalloy.com/ I will take on any street car with a mpfi starion 2.6... SRs are no match, really.

On one side of the fence, one camp gets off on quoting high hp figures with high rpm winding motors.. supras and SRs are prime examples.
The other side are lower revving torque monsters that put the smack down.... timeslips. GNs and DSMs comes to mind<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

japan has a drag racing series just for silvias. the 240 sx will hook better than the supra. its lighter than the supra. the only reason why racers are not using the s13 and s14 are because its out of production and none of us have stepped up. the car that ran a 10.81 has a good chance of winning some heads up class idrc and nhra races. i belive a full preped 240/slivia would have a good advantage over street and quick class.

a customer came the shop with a s13 it has a 10 gallon fuel cell, full paxton fuel system, electromotive tec, full interior this car should do 10's easy

osofast240
02-02-2002, 04:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rasta:

p.s. Irie_eyes... How ya get your name?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all said and done a jun motor is 25,000
here what you dont get(ecu, wiring, intake manifold, turbo manifold, turbo)

SilviaDET
02-02-2002, 07:38 PM
Well the origanal Hyperlemon jun S14 that had 800hp and ran 8's was sold a coupla years ago to a guy in mayasia (or somewhere like that) From what the guy at jun told me hes a collector so who knows if the car will ever be seen again. Oh well just a little trivia.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-02-2002, 09:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilviaDET:
From what the guy at jun told me hes a collector so who knows if the car will ever be seen again. Oh well just a little trivia.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has been run since...

sr20det95
02-03-2002, 07:27 PM
If you have enough money, you sure can make anything push 800hp. be realistic here. and please don't trash the ka or the sr motor, cause they have 2 different characteristic. the ka has lots of torque but doesn't like to spin. on the other hand the sr has less torque but doesn't want to stop spinning even at 7k rpm. it all depends on the driver's preferences. my car with a sr20det doesn't do 10's, but 14.2's is enough for now.

Dorifto_PG
02-03-2002, 08:59 PM

The other side are lower revving torque monsters that put the smack down.... timeslips. GNs and DSMs comes to mind<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, my opinion (and im probably picking a fight, b/c i hate drag racing) is that if you look at the race scene in japan, it is Drifting, Drifting, Drifting, and JTCC...the japanese, as a whole, are not into drag racing like the americans. So they make engines for their market. They don;t have any use for a KA...Nissan thinks that we have no market for an SR..and we don't really. How many drifters (REAL ones) are there in the US? The S14 was billed as a luxerious coupe for us. For them...MORE POWER! STIFFER CHASSIS!

anyway...SR's are not meant to be drag motors, and i dont think they should be...keep them sideways...

p.s. the Honda camp is keen on putting SR20's into 5th gen. civics, and when they can't find them, they start kidnapping mechanics...

jdzumwalt
02-03-2002, 10:00 PM
Ok I can finally add somthing to this thread. I know right know that a top secret KA motor is in the works at a local shop in San Diego. They sent the crank out to be balanced and treated If I wanted this for my crank it was $3800.00 plus. This new crank is lighter and will aloew the "truck" motor to rev easily up to 8000 rpm. The head is being fully treated. I will let you guy know what this thing puts out when its done.

Peace JD

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2002, 10:36 PM
The KA motor seems better built for high revs than the SR because of the lack of extra moving parts in the valvetrain. Very similar design to the Supra engine. Duy's engine revved to 7800rpms on the nitrous at 27psi with a stock head. the powerband was wide and had killer top end. I would love to have the budget to build an 800hp KA. The iron block would be more suited for that kind of power than the aluminum SR(less flex) But since JUN doesnt modify KA motors I guess you SR guys will never see that kind of potential from the KA.

jason

silver88si
02-03-2002, 11:11 PM
All import drag racers are not dumb. Just most of them
James Ferrar runs a 9.89 in a fwd sentra se-r
Usdm sr20de and basically a street setup.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2002, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by st00pid:
But since JUN doesnt modify KA motors I guess you SR guys will never see that kind of potential from the KA.

jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that sums it up right there....

sr20det95
02-04-2002, 01:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by st00pid:
The KA motor seems better built for high revs than the SR because of the lack of extra moving parts in the valvetrain. Very similar design to the Supra engine. Duy's engine revved to 7800rpms on the nitrous at 27psi with a stock head. the powerband was wide and had killer top end. I would love to have the budget to build an 800hp KA. The iron block would be more suited for that kind of power than the aluminum SR(less flex) But since JUN doesnt modify KA motors I guess you SR guys will never see that kind of potential from the KA.

jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

when you say stock head here, do you mean it still look the same on the out side of the head? cause changing the springs, cams, port and polish, multiple angle valve jobs. this is not stock head anymore, stock head is eveything left untouch, with only basic bolt on like prings and cams
that head on Duy's car is not stock

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-04-2002, 02:09 PM
Let's review your definition here...

You say: None stock head has the following: Springs, Cams, port and polish, multiple angle valve job.

You also say: head can be claimed stock if you change prings (what are those? http://www.freshalloy.com/) and cams.

So by your definition port and polish and multi angle valve job move it from stock.

Well, stock valves comes with 3 angle valve job, so that leaves port& polish. Well, most of us would call that a clean up job. It's not like it's a Stage V DPR head where material was added to the head and the combustion chamber reshaped. That would be a clear definition of a modified head...

so the definition is not clear and not as cut and dry like you would like to claim unless something major like chamber shaping goes on...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sr20det95:
when you say stock head here, do you mean it still look the same on the out side of the head? cause changing the springs, cams, port and polish, multiple angle valve jobs. this is not stock head anymore, stock head is eveything left untouch, with only basic bolt on like prings and cams
that head on Duy's car is not stock<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

02-04-2002, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sr20det95:

How do you know this?

From an older thread about Duy's car:
"The head remains stock and is also using the stock head gasket."
http://forums.freshalloy.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=003096

Asad

osofast240
02-04-2002, 04:54 PM

jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

who needs jun to build the ka.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2002, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by osofast240:

who needs jun to build the ka.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no one

sr20det95
02-04-2002, 07:20 PM
all I am saying is, no one should claim a head stock if it has been modified other than basic bold on parts. excuse me for not being clear.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Duy's head had all factory issue parts in the head all the way to the casting flash in the ports.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-04-2002, 09:33 PM
And since Duy's car's head is stock, your point is????

all I am saying is, no one should claim a head stock if it has been modified other than basic bold on parts. excuse me for not being clear.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sc300
02-04-2002, 10:09 PM

HUH? Did you put my motor together? My head was bone stock, all I did was have the machine shop clean all the oil of it and deck it...That's why the guys that bought my car is putting a ported head and other stuff to it...

s13SRmadness
02-05-2002, 12:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by osofast240:

its not a truck motor. and yes the ka can handle 800hp but it will cost you 16,000 using my/performance factory specs. mabey i can give you the work order numbers from crower.

i dont think so.

any engine builder knows a engine is an engine, pistons are pistons, and rods are rods. if they make pistons, rods and valves for trucks let me know.

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: osofast240 ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i also agree with the whole "an engine is engine" jargon. i'm only basing my opinion on how thoroughly crappy my ka was. it felt like it was going to fall apart at 5.5k. my sr imparts no such feeling. i didn't mean to hurt the ka camp's feelings, and it doesn't bother me when people bash the sr. yes, it hasn't proven itself on us soil... blah blah blah... you're right.... i have an odd preference for smooth revving motors. sorry guys. i'm sure your ka's haul a$$. http://www.freshalloy.com/

BioSehnsucht
02-05-2002, 12:12 AM
Which just goes to show you can make absolutely STUPID power without breaking a KA, and without building the internals..

Altho personally if I was gonna go for the crazy #'s Duy hit I'd build it up ahead of time, just in case.. I'm paranoid http://www.freshalloy.com/

(I'd do same for ANY engine I was gonna make crazy power on, tho.)