PDA

View Full Version : ECU question

SR_S14Zenki
02-06-2006, 11:05 PM
sorry for the bad pictures, taken with my phone...anyway can this ECU still have a daughterboard and work right? has anyone ever seen this before? let me know..thanks...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/PSiedTSi/02-06-06_2245.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/PSiedTSi/chipped.jpg

SR_S14Zenki
02-07-2006, 09:26 PM
anyone?

bruinbear714
02-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Looks stock to me... check the expansion header area to see if it looks tampered, and if a daugtherboard was installed previously.

If a daugtherboard is added and configuration jumpers set, the unit boots up from the eprom instead of what's in that mcu, so the rom contents of the mcu will be irrelevent.

S15xedS13
02-08-2006, 08:01 AM
What are the numbers on the chip that you have high lighted?

SR_S14Zenki
02-08-2006, 09:56 AM
the expansion header looks untouched...it is filled with solder, but im not sure if that is stock or if it was filled in when a board was removed...the jumper is set on CJ1; and CJ2 looks completely untouched...thats the normal setting isn't it?

you cant read anythin on the chip cause it has a ****load of like clearish stuff protecting it...i looked a little closer at it and it looks like theres a little overlay that says electra on the chip and its not actually the chip itself...

thats good news that it completely ignores that chip when you use a daughterboard...i was worried it would have to reference somethin on it and was scared...that was my main question

Epstein
02-08-2006, 12:37 PM
It is technically possible to modify an ECU by replacing the original chip with another one with custom code. I want to say that on some RB ECUs, that is the only way to modify it. You could always dump the ROM through Consult and find out what's inside. I'm pretty sure that you should still be able to socket this ECU, since jumpering to CJ2 ignores the internal data.

SR_S14Zenki
02-08-2006, 02:29 PM
It is technically possible to modify an ECU by replacing the original chip with another one with custom code. I want to say that on some RB ECUs, that is the only way to modify it. You could always dump the ROM through Consult and find out what's inside. I'm pretty sure that you should still be able to socket this ECU, since jumpering to CJ2 ignores the internal data.

your right on the RB thing but its chip just like one of our EEPROM daughterboard chips...

It just might be worth it to see whats on the rom, how do I do that with consult? how does it connect to my computer?

I will just try chipping it cause if I can't, no one else is gonna want it...

S15xedS13
02-08-2006, 04:25 PM
It wold be worth your time to find out the details of what you have. It is complettely possible that IMSA has replaced the ROM with an EEPROM that would allow you to live tune, as they have not done that standard daughterboard, but a rather extensive, and more difficult, ROM swap.

All you need to read it is a cable that connects the OBD port to a laptop computer. Such as the one from PLMS developmnets. Or you could always see what JWT or RS-Enthalpy could do for you.

S15xedS13
02-08-2006, 04:41 PM
What is written on the tape near the IMSA sticker?

FYI IMSA is the sanctioning body of the american Le Mans series.

I am really curious about your ECU and what has been done to it. If you can provide as much information as possible I will do what I can to at least find out what chip you have. Try and peel off that sticker and get all the info off of it, but don't scrape at the sticker. *Solid State Electronics are ESD sensitive items so it would be a good idea to be grounded to the box of that ECU when you touch it*

SR_S14Zenki
02-08-2006, 05:08 PM
the sticker by the IMSA sticker says somethin about the seal being broken...i dont know the exact wording cause i am at school right now...theres 2 other stickers that say Electra on em...thats it...

i know to ground myself before playing with ECU/computers etc...i work on computers daily http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I will do some searching also...

SR_S14Zenki
02-08-2006, 05:51 PM
It says warranty is void if seal is broken...also i flipped over the back and saw this...totally forgot about it...

It looks like it says 113.8 and then a bunch of japanese characters:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/PSiedTSi/02-08-06_1747.jpg

SR_S14Zenki
02-11-2006, 12:32 PM
anyone else have any insights?