PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting

Globalsilence
02-07-2006, 01:26 PM
I just did a full rebuild on my 95 KA with forged internals, and all the timing components. The car has 700CC injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, z32 MAF, Enthalpy tuned ECU, turbonetics t3/t4. Anyways my problem is the car has trouble starting. I crank it over for 4 - 5 seconds before it fires up. This happens when it's cold and when it's hot. If I turn the car off and then try to start it immediately after, it will start fine, but if I leave it for a minute or more it will have to crank and crank. After it starts it runs fine, idles great no problems, but starting is hard. I have to pump the gas to get it to turn over. I need some help fixing this, itís getting old cranking it and cranking it.

orion
02-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Possibly fuel pressure related?

Is the pump hard wired?

Stock FPR?

??? - Brian

Globalsilence
02-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I just wired the fuel pump like the stock one was. Power and ground. Yes it's the Stock FPR.

S15xedS13
02-07-2006, 04:11 PM
A bad coolant temp sensor can crreate hard start problems.
I would also recomend running 12ga wire from the battery through a relay activated by a relay using the original fuel pump wiring as the coil power, it will help provide more stable current to the fuel pump.

Globalsilence
02-07-2006, 04:20 PM
The temp sonsor for the ECU, thats the one furtherst away from the head correct? How would i check to see if thats bad?

TS4l
02-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Yes its the two prong sendor, the one prong sensor is to the Gauge. Have you ran the motor very much yet? I would agree with Brian and check the fuel pressure or check injectors for small leaks. Usually if it were the ECT sensor it would be more noticable either when it was hot or cold. Could be that I guess but I wouldn't bet on it.

Globalsilence
02-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah the car has almost 500 miles on it. It drives and boost's fine, no problems. Vacuum is around 15 - 18, i don't smell gas when it's trying to start, however, when i installed the injectors way back when i did not grease them, and i lost one of the little spacers that goes on the fuel rail to the head. It's the little black hard plastic spacer.

I just don't know why the car will run great, but not start right. If it was a fuel problem i would imagine that it would be the opposite, start fine but run like crap?

orion
02-07-2006, 06:41 PM
If you have a small vacuum leak at the injectors, it would cause low vacuum reading like yours has (mine idles at ~20)...and would cause a hard start.

Pressure test the whole system.

- Brian

S15xedS13
02-07-2006, 08:29 PM
The ECT controls cold start fuel enrichment, much like a choke on a carb. The best way to check it is to connect a volt meter to it, start it, and watch for a change in voltage as the temp rises.

Globalsilence
02-08-2006, 12:17 AM
If you have a small vacuum leak at the injectors, it would cause low vacuum reading like yours has (mine idles at ~20)...and would cause a hard start.

Pressure test the whole system.

- Brian

I'll check for a vacuum leak. I'll search on here to find out how.

Globalsilence
02-08-2006, 11:41 AM
One of the screws that hold the injector in is missing. Do you think thats where the vacuum leak is coming from?

Globalsilence
02-09-2006, 01:19 PM
I started the car up and pulled each injector wire off and the #1 injector didnt change how the car ran. I pulled the fuel rail off and #1 and #3 injectors were running like faucets. I suspect that's why it was not starting right. I'm going to install new O rings, hope this works.