PDA

View Full Version : Built Ka-T guys chime in...valvetrain question!!!

StealthmodeS14
02-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Ok....I have finally decided to go with a fully built Ka for my turbo project. And before you say it, yes I know the stock head can flow pretty well (in upwards of 400ish or so anyways...). But I want a fully built badass so......here's my question.

Those that have fully built heads...what exactly have yu done to them and what components are you using? Supertech, Comp, Ferrea?? I was going to go with Ferrea, but have heard (from a good friend who just had a fully built head done with Ferrea goods) that Ferrea does not supply the spacers needed for thier springs.I wasn't aware there were spacers...could they be spekaing of the valve shims possibly? Let me know what yu guys have to say...as well as what some folks are running..

-Bill

orion
02-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I say leave it stock for now, until you get the turbo installed, get the bugs worked out...and get some #s.

THEN...pull the head, and have it built...or build a spare to swap on.

SO MANY KA-T guys have issues b/c they go for EVERYTHIG at once...never get it running right (too many variables!), etc...save yourself the hassle and $$$.

Build the bottom end, get it running FLAWLESSLY...then proceed.

My $0.02

- Brian

StealthmodeS14
02-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Ya know....I've never looked at it that way Brian. Sounds reasonable enough I think...and the better route to go. Cause in the end.....I may just get the power I want and not have to rebuild.

-Bill

flip240
02-10-2006, 04:42 PM
I agree with Brian, I went with a fully built bottom end, since the head is relatively easy to do. the only recommendation i would do besides a rebuilt head is s13 cams.

wootwoot
02-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Wait until it becomes a restriction. For all you know you'll never reach the power levels were it is a handicap. Mess with less stuff and you have less to go wrong. Good thing about KA's is you can probably get a couple of free heads to play with..

RDM_II
02-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't plan to ever touch the head on my car, it does a great job and you only begin to see limitations at higher than needed power levels. Plus looking at the cost of valvetrain, it's completely insane to drop that kind of money unless you're shooting for 400+ whp.

DaveEEE
02-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I say leave it stock for now, until you get the turbo installed, get the bugs worked out...and get some #s.

THEN...pull the head, and have it built...or build a spare to swap on.

SO MANY KA-T guys have issues b/c they go for EVERYTHIG at once...never get it running right (too many variables!), etc...save yourself the hassle and $$$.

Build the bottom end, get it running FLAWLESSLY...then proceed.

My $0.02

- Brian

This is speaking from experience with my KA-T. We did everything at once. The head was only a rebuild, but it was very difficult to locate the issues we had with SO many new variables introduced. If I did it all over I would do things much slower and spread out.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-11-2006, 02:48 AM
Oh joy, guess I can look forward towards facing all those headaches... oh fun... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/frown.gif