PDA

View Full Version : Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel questions???

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Ok, I just got back from the shop with my new flywheel and new clutch installed and Im having some problems and was wondering if anybody else has had them. First, everytime i start the car there is a whining noise that almost sounds like a turbo is spooling up (i dont have a turbo). Second, when i come to a stop light and put it in neutral the RPMs drop and the car dies. If i keep it in gear it sometimes stays alive but not completely. My setup is a ACT Stree/strip clutch with the Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel on a 1992 240sx Fastback. Any help would be greatly appreciated

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Is the sound at startup a metalic clinging sound?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2002, 02:13 PM
yeah it is. Its right when the car starts up that i hear it.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-01-2002, 02:20 PM
That's normal. Even the Jun flywheel sounds the same.

MaxType 240
02-01-2002, 02:35 PM
No problems with mine despite installing the ACT/Fidanza combo myself w/ "HondaKilla." Startup does send the tach to 2k at that instance but revs at 700rpm upon warm up.
Crank fan is off in addition to an ASP pulley.
Car dies in neutral? TPS not messed with? Flywheel isn't spinning fast enough, hmmm, interesting.

one8hatch
02-01-2002, 03:15 PM
i have the fidanza 9lbs flywheel, at first it made that noise but it went away, but i dont have any idling problems, but this is on my hatch not a 240

Sepp
02-01-2002, 04:15 PM
I do have a turbo and thought that whining sound I detected as the motor fired with the Fidanza flywheel installed was pressure through the system. I have learned to avoid the surge by cranking 'till just as the motor fires and releasing the starter. For me it's about a 2-count. It takes a deft touch, but if my old reflexes can manage it, yours can. I have absolutely no idle problems with the Fidanza flywheel. Perhaps you should try adjusting the idle upwards slightly to account for the reduced rotating mass.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2002, 04:53 PM
I talked to my mechanic and he suggested adjusting the idle as well so i guess im gonna give that a shot.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-06-2002, 10:20 PM
Hey Jesse, guess what! No, I didn't find $4000 laying around, I got my clutch and flywheel in buddy!

An at home job that only took three fun-filled days. Sorry I didn't take up your offer, I just didn't want to work on a hot car.

Anyway, these problems with the dowels not lining up; I found that you need to try all the combinations of the pressure plate and flywheel until the holes line up and screw in the bolts. I too get the grind of the starter but I haven't tried any new cranking techniques. Hmmm

About the electric fan and cold air ext. I took off; I plan to put the crank fan w/ shroud back on because it works better. With the extension on my intake, my filter got too dirty down there so I felt the negligable difference was worth a cleaner filter.

When can we meet up again? I'll be in new orleans this weekend but maybe next week I can show up at the Gainesville meet.