PDA

View Full Version : weird ka stalling problem (ignition related)

turboka24
02-23-2006, 12:14 AM
when i bought my car two years ago it would sometimes stall(like once every few months) and i wouldnt be able to start it unless i waited 10-15 mins. it would just die when driving normal. now its turbo and i thought it was better but it happened twice today and the first time i only had to wait 10 mins, second time i had to wait over 2 hours. what the hell could it be?

nsn240
02-23-2006, 07:37 PM
dirty plugs, distributor cap and rotor

turboka24
02-23-2006, 08:43 PM
i switched ignition coils and it still does it. i checked for spark when it did it today and there was none at all. about 30 mins later started up and ran perfectly like nothing was ever wrong.

could it possibly be the ignitor chip? anything else in the ignition system? looks like im gonna have to rewire the whole ignition system from the ecu. would that be hard/smart?

turboka24
02-24-2006, 11:33 AM
plugs are new, wires are newer great shape, ign cap and rotor are also recent. please any other ideas? stalls after driving for 20 mins, i cant go anywhere without pulling over to let it sit.

turboka24
02-25-2006, 11:30 AM
it doesnt even spark from the coil wire so its not the distributors fault. any guess as to what i should check first?

ItzGenX
02-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Check the voltage going to the coil when it happens. If there is voltage, trying using only the coil wire and putting a spark plug in the other end (with the key off). Then try grounding the spark plug with the key on and see if it sparks. If not, try replacing the coil itself. You could also borrow someone's if you know someone with the same car as you and is nice enough. That way you don't waste money if it is not the problem.

rogoman
02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
it doesnt even spark from the coil wire so its not the distributors fault. any guess as to what i should check first?

After you have the failure, if there's 12v at the coil, then the problem could be due to one of the following:
- bad coil
- bad power transistor
- bad resistor/condenser

turboka24
02-28-2006, 12:03 AM
got it fixed now, it was the distributor believe it or not. i guess that mitsubishi made sensor in my car is the least reliable part...