PDA

View Full Version : External Wastegate Dump Pipe Routing

Punch
02-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Instead of venting the exhaust back into the atmosphere, I am planning on routing the exhaust from the external wastegate back into the exhaust system. Question is whether it would be better to plumb it into the downpipe or at the lower part of the turbo extension?

Punch
02-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I think I may have answered my own question. After looking at my turbo extension, I don't think it will matter.

TS4l
02-25-2006, 02:36 AM
If you plumb it back in you want to do it as far away from the turbo as you can within reason. It causes turbulance so if you do it right at the turbo it causes more lag. I would try and go in at the bottom 90 degree bend of the downpipe at an angle so it flows in as smooth at possible. I remember there was a recomended length away like 12 inches or something but uts been years since I dealt with that so I don't remember exactly. It won't kill you to do it closer but I'm sure you get the idea!

MiamiGrinch240
02-25-2006, 02:56 AM
I was planning on just running the dump on it's own all the way until under the driver seat parallel to the exhaust. That way there will be no turbulance issues and I won't have to worry about gases coming into the driver window. Anyone done this before?

Punch
02-25-2006, 07:26 AM
I was planning on just running the dump on it's own all the way until under the driver seat parallel to the exhaust. That way there will be no turbulance issues and I won't have to worry about gases coming into the driver window. Anyone done this before?

You mean not routing it back into the exhaust? I think you will have exhaust coming up through the cabin, if the windows are open.

TS4l, I have the greddy turbo extension with the divider. What if I plumb it up near the top of the turbo extension where the divider is? The divider already separates the flow from the internal wastegate. Good idea or not? Of course, the flap for the internal wastegate is going to be welded shut either way.

Punch
02-25-2006, 08:16 AM
I am sure a-lot of you have seen this article posted in this Honda-Tech thread: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=414433

I think that if it is introduced in the divider area of the turbo extension it will be better than introducing it towards the end of the divider. Now, if it is introduced into the actual downpipe, as far as possible, then that would be the better choice. Any thoughts?

1mns13
02-26-2006, 11:58 PM
I say at the bottom of the 90 degree into the downpipe. Guaranteed far enough.

TS4l
02-27-2006, 12:08 AM

You mean not routing it back into the exhaust? I think you will have exhaust coming up through the cabin, if the windows are open.

TS4l, I have the greddy turbo extension with the divider. What if I plumb it up near the top of the turbo extension where the divider is? The divider already separates the flow from the internal wastegate. Good idea or not? Of course, the flap for the internal wastegate is going to be welded shut either way.

I think that could be ok, it won't be as efficent but on my first turbo setup I plumbed it in right at the top and it worked fine. Just not as efficent so if I was doing it I would go lower but whatever is easiest and you like the look of best will both be ok. I personally would do as mentioned above and go at the bottom 90 degree bend on the downpipe. If your just switching to top mount the slight difference in spool depending on the wastegate plumbing probably won't even be noticable to you. I was thinking for simplicity that the Greddy dump idea would be kinda cool.

Colorado_S14
02-27-2006, 12:51 AM
I think the DP bend is the best spot too. If you pick up a copy of Maximum Boost Corky shows that the most efficient way to pipe a WG dump back in is at a bend (creating a Y). Make sure to add a flex section to the WG dump.

orion
02-27-2006, 08:26 AM
I was planning on just running the dump on it's own all the way until under the driver seat parallel to the exhaust.

I have mine dumped under the drivers seat, and never even catch a wiff(sp?) of it.

My clothes don't smell like exhaust, it doesn't come in the windows, etc...

If you route it back far enopugh, and put a small turn down on the end of the pipe...it'll be fine.

See here:

http://www.ka24development.com/file_images/my_240sx.jpg

You can see the dump tube sticking out under there, the end points down at the ground.

- Brian