PDA

View Full Version : smell

_Slappy
03-04-2006, 12:55 PM
i have a 93 240sx...when i drive with the drivers side window down , this "exhaust" smell just pours inside my car.

i figured i had an exhaust leak since Mighty Muffler's just put on a Magnaflow muffler and magnaflow high flow cat with thier own pipping..the welding they did wasnt that good...

so, i took it back to Mighty to have them check it over(warranty) , they put it up on the lift and sure enough there was a huge leak where the pipe met the cat , and there was a pin size hole where the pipe met the muffler.

they fixed the leaks , but, it didnt fix the smell coming in my window.

...it only happends when the window is down , theres no smell when i drive with the window up.

i eliminated one problem by getting the exhaust leaks fixed...could it be that my motor is running to rich???

the timing was at 15, but the ECU was reading 15 , so i bumped it up to 22.

but, how could that be the problem ?? , can that cause a flow of smell coming inside my car everytime i roll the window down?

please help!

r20crazy
03-04-2006, 01:17 PM
you may have burnt through one of the gaskets where the piping flange bolts to the cat. For whatever reason I burned through one about every month giving me the 'smell'. I took the car to a custom exhaust shop and they gave me double thick 'cat gaskets' and haven't had a problem since.

Easiest way to see if you've burnt through one or both? Jack up the car, start it up and CAREFULLY cup your hand around the joints where the gaskets are are and feel for any escaping air pressure. Another sign is a 'hissing' noise around the cat.

Hope that helps

_Slappy
03-04-2006, 02:09 PM
i did the whole "Jack up the car, start it up and CAREFULLY cup your hand around the joints where the gaskets are are and feel for any escaping air pressure" thing.

i did that when my car was on the lift after they fixed the leaks.

r20crazy
03-05-2006, 11:17 AM
ok....did you check the other exhaust gaskets? The exhaust manifold has the gasket that connects to the head, and if you have the stock exhaust manifold (which is 2 pieces), it also has some 'doughnut' gaskets where the 'header assembly' comes apart.

If these are all good, there shouldn't be a smell. unless the 'header assembly' has a crack somewhere

http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/star-wars-smiley-017.gif

Punch
03-05-2006, 11:55 AM
It's about isolating all the parts that the exhaust could emanate from...

_Slappy
03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
ok....did you check the other exhaust gaskets? The exhaust manifold has the gasket that connects to the head, and if you have the stock exhaust manifold (which is 2 pieces), it also has some 'doughnut' gaskets where the 'header assembly' comes apart.

If these are all good, there shouldn't be a smell. unless the 'header assembly' has a crack somewhere

im gonna look at that this week..thanks man.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/star-wars-smiley-017.gif

_Slappy
03-06-2006, 06:06 PM
would a carbon monoxide detector work in a car?