PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Turbo Timer!

sexy240
02-04-2002, 04:56 PM
OK the electronics in a turbo timer arnt all that complex. there has got to be away that you can makeshift a turbo timer from other things for less than $30 A friend of mine who was an electrical engineer had a simple Idea and was going to create something for me but he is in a comma and it is pretty dificult for him to make stuff while in a comma.

$100 just seems a littel much for an advanced stopwatch.

any thoughts, Ideas, comments, or jokes?

PS. yes I am cheap

and as long as Im on the topic of riging things and being cheap. an air fuel ratio meter shouldnt be all that hard to make either. doesnt it just read the O2 signal...

uiuc240
02-04-2002, 05:03 PM
or you could just buy a REAL turbo timer on ebay for about $50. the good ones read car voltage to find out how hard you were driving. they adjust the time the car idles from that. i'm not saying you can't make one, it's just that the ones you can buy are pretty cheap for what all you get.

EDIT: you can also just make sure not to run your car hard for the last minute or so of your drive. then, when you park it, just let it idle for about 10-30 seconds while you shut off your stereo, grab your things, turn off your lights and get unbuckled. that should really be all you need. unless you just got done driving 150 for 2 hours, your turbo should be fine.

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: uiuc240 ]

AZ_Dave
02-04-2002, 05:06 PM
If you need help devolping the circuitry I can lend a hand. I'm a sophomore @ Devry, computer engineering. I know all the IC/digital systems stuff.

Dave

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2002, 05:18 PM
You just basically want to use something that will cut off the ignition circuit after a set amount of time. I was building a turbo timer for my old car using an egg cooking timer. tick tick tick tick ding... and the engine shuts off.
This was the same car with the duck call bov...

Demon

sexy240
02-04-2002, 05:19 PM
oh really only $50 on ebay? tempting

Dave maybe you could develope one as a project for credit or something. I

was just thinking that there has got to be a devise of somesort that can do the same thing. you know like those things you pug into a wall and they turn you lights on and off. or a snooze button on an alarm clock. or sleep timer on a radio, or tv.

I pretty handy with a soulder gun but would have no Idea what resistor, capacitors or transformers to use.

anyhow 10-30 secs is not that long to wait

sexy240
02-04-2002, 05:30 PM
I like your style demon. was that an electronic egg timer or a manual one?

I imagine if it was a manual one you just riged some sort of switch. Maybe a little to Ghetto. but interesting

KenFuji
02-04-2002, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demon:
You just basically want to use something that will cut off the ignition circuit after a set amount of time. I was building a turbo timer for my old car using an egg cooking timer. tick tick tick tick ding... and the engine shuts off.
This was the same car with the duck call bov...
Demon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

man demon you crack me up.... the kitchen powered sr huh http://www.freshalloy.com/

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: drift-otaku ]

formulaJEREMY
02-04-2002, 06:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drift-otaku:

man demon you crack me up.... the kitchen powered sr huh http://www.freshalloy.com/

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: drift-otaku ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should see how he uses an Ab-Tronic for an electronic boost controller. "Push the high intensity button for a quick workout and 20psi of boost." http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2002, 08:03 PM
"the duck call bov"

HAHAHA! i was just tearing up.
I could hear it now...
"vrooooom.... quack quack quack.... vrooooom...."

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2002, 08:20 PM
CLAP ON *clap*clap* CLAP OFF *clap*clap-clap* CLAP ON CLAP OFF, THE CLAPPER *clapclapclap*

you'd need a bit more than capacitors and resistors (and no transformers) to set something like that up. simplest way would jsut be to program a microcontroller to do this, then you could even have it work some kind of LED and do some intelligent stuff like see how long the car was driven or whatnot.

OR if you want to get really fancy, set up a water pump powered by the ignition switch to fill a container of liquid while the car is on and the weight of this container would close a switch that would keep the car on until the container emptied out once you killed the ignition switch. maybe have an anvil falling on some bellows or something at some point, good stuff...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sexy:
oh really only $50 on ebay? tempting

Dave maybe you could develope one as a project for credit or something. I

was just thinking that there has got to be a devise of somesort that can do the same thing. you know like those things you pug into a wall and they turn you lights on and off. or a snooze button on an alarm clock. or sleep timer on a radio, or tv.

I pretty handy with a soulder gun but would have no Idea what resistor, capacitors or transformers to use.

anyhow 10-30 secs is not that long to wait<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beef
02-04-2002, 08:40 PM
http://www.freshalloy.com/LMAO!! http://www.freshalloy.com/

White_240sx
02-04-2002, 08:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mwreck:
OR if you want to get really fancy, set up a water pump powered by the ignition switch to fill a container of liquid while the car is on and the weight of this container would close a switch that would keep the car on until the container emptied out once you killed the ignition switch. maybe have an anvil falling on some bellows or something at some point, good stuff...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Rube Goldberg tubo timer would be awsome.

AZ_Dave
02-04-2002, 10:17 PM
I don't think you would need any capacitors, inductors, etc...but resistors yes. Just use simple logic circuits and a binary counter. How would you make it so that the car doesn't turn off when you remove the key?

sexy240
02-05-2002, 12:17 AM
I think Im sorry I even posted this. I solved the problem when I slam the car door it sets a ball rolling down a Slide then knocks down some dominos the last domino taps a rats blader squirting uring on the ignition wires sorting them out. the whole process takes a minite or two. the harder I drive the more dominos I set up. Its going to work out great. anyone know the best place to get JDM carbon fiber dominos?

knate
02-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Right now I'm learning to program a microcontroller called the PIC chip, and I stumbled across this site..
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/7284/picproject1.html

I'm thinking of building it, but I want to see if I could redo the code so that it uses psi instead of bar and Farenheit instead of Celsius.

quest
02-05-2002, 09:50 PM
I have a page saved on my work computer copied from z31.com member 2 years ago. He detailed how he installed the turbo timer he built using schematics from an electronics booklet sold by Radio Shack. Cost him under $20 and 1 hour to make.... called a "delay"? I think
Passed the info on to a starion owner who said the "book" was not available any longer, but downloaded it from Radio Shack website. He too built one for his starion and made it "gel" with the oe alarm by clipping one oe wire. So yes its very easy and cheap to build

**DONOTDELETE**
02-06-2002, 07:23 AM
actually you'd probably do good to put some capacitors across the +5 connections to the logic chip's power pins and if you don't use an oscilator you'd need capacitors for the timing circuitry so there http://www.freshalloy.com/

actually you could probably make one with a 555 counter if you really wanted. just have it time slowly and charge for a long time. but then it shut off quickly if you start the engine for a short time. don't know, probably best to just use a PIC chip or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by s13sr20:
I don't think you would need any capacitors, inductors, etc...but resistors yes. Just use simple logic circuits and a binary counter. How would you make it so that the car doesn't turn off when you remove the key?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sexy240
02-06-2002, 09:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quest:
I have a page saved on my work computer copied from z31.com member 2 years ago. He detailed how he installed the turbo timer he built using schematics from an electronics booklet sold by Radio Shack. Cost him under $20 and 1 hour to make.... called a "delay"? I think
Passed the info on to a starion owner who said the "book" was not available any longer, but downloaded it from Radio Shack website. He too built one for his starion and made it "gel" with the oe alarm by clipping one oe wire. So yes its very easy and cheap to build<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how about you pass all the info on to all of us. do you know the web site where to download it?

YellowS14
02-06-2002, 09:43 AM
i can just picture a swarm of ducks staring at his car,

lmao

TroyC

"get the 240 were goin huntin!" http://www.freshalloy.com/