PDA

View Full Version : IAA valve installation ???

SykikCHIMP
02-05-2002, 08:04 AM
Anybody done this?? I've heard that this thing going bad is a common problem. Also I just talked to The parts dept at the dealership and they said it would be a $400 part. Why? What exactly is the IAA valve?

I ask because my car has that irregular idle problem, where when I hit the clutch, the rpms dive to really low levels. It even dies sometimes when I'm trying to slow down, or even If I just hit the clutch while driving hard.

gforce240sx
02-05-2002, 09:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sykikchimp:
Anybody done this?? I've heard that this thing going bad is a common problem. Also I just talked to The parts dept at the dealership and they said it would be a $400 part. Why? What exactly is the IAA valve?

I ask because my car has that irregular idle problem, where when I hit the clutch, the rpms dive to really low levels. It even dies sometimes when I'm trying to slow down, or even If I just hit the clutch while driving hard.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Save your money and buy some carburetor cleaner. Take out the IAA unit and clean it with carb cleaner. A friend of mine help me do it this passed weekend and my idle problem has gone away. Also, try a new cap and rotor.

Danny.

SykikCHIMP
02-05-2002, 10:43 AM
the problem is I don't even know what it is, or where its at. Can someone explain?
I have lots of photos of my engine at http://home.carolina.rr.com/sykikchimp/charlie/newcar/mycar.html
Maybe somebody can point it out in paint or something?? with a good description I can probably find it too

ringer
02-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Basically that valve is what lets the motor draw air when the throttle plate is closed.
If it is clogged then the motor will stall.
Crap will build up in the valve just like the TB over time. Get some intake cleaner and clean the sucker out and you should be fine.

-Matt

SykikCHIMP
02-05-2002, 11:02 AM
so is it on the throttle body? or is it somewhere else on the intake manifold?

I'm more than up for cleaning it, just not sure where it is. Anytime I can save $400 is a good day

rextreme
02-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Not even close to the throttle body. More like under the intake manifold. If you look next to the throttle body, you should see a black tube about 1/2" in diatmeter coming out of a pipe. It's the bigger tube out of the 2 on the front side of the intake pipe. Follow the pipe under the manifold and back. That should lead you to the IAA valve.

ringer
02-05-2002, 11:13 AM
Using your TB as a referrence. It is about 1 inch down and 4 inches to the right of the TB. There is a 3/8 inch hose IIRC that connects it to the intake. Just follow the fatter of the 2 hoses on the intake and there you are. These directions are for a DOHC

EDIT: Most intake cleaners can be sprayed in to the IAA valve or TB while on the car. So just find the inlet and spray away... But please check the directions first.

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: uuninja ]

**DONOTDELETE**
02-05-2002, 11:22 AM
.. and while you're there, clean your motor and adjust your e-brake cable! http://www.freshalloy.com/

- Mike

SykikCHIMP
02-05-2002, 11:45 AM
Thanks! I'll check it out. Probably take a pic, and circle it and upload it to verify.
lol.. already planned on the engine cleaning.
Cable was fixed as soon as I got home. Didn't have the car 6 hours and I already had the Center console completely apart. (I know I didn't have to, but I wanted to fix the rubber peice around the bottom of the e-brake too..)

SykikCHIMP
02-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Well, I cleaned it like you said. (I think)

I couldn't actuall find the IAA Valve, so I read another forum that was posted recently and found a hose that appeared to make the car die, when it was closed off when at idle. I was hoping this was the hose that led to the IAA valve.

Here it is: Throttle body/ IAA valve image (http://home.carolina.rr.com/sykikchimp/charlie/tb.jpg)

I sprayed the Throtle body cleaner into the hose several times. b/w the TB amd that hose I have about half a can left. I also sprayed the maf a few times as well, byt it looked freakin spotless already.

I still have an irradic idle problem though. Kinda acting weird. Like when I'm cruising along, hit the clutch, idle drops to about 450-500 rpm. Just enough to dim accessories a little. then as I come closer to a stop, the Rpms go up to about 750-800 and will sit there still as can be for as long as I don't touch the gas. As soon as I hit the gas to rev the engine, and let go, the rpms fall to about 450-500 and bounce to about 850 then level out at 750. Any other ideas as to what it could be?!?!

Any hel pis appreciated

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 01:18 PM
an easy way to find the IAA is by sound. if you turn the ignition on with the key but dont start the engine, then go look under the hood, it should make a faint electric buzzing sound (it's opening and closing the opening to let air in, it's PWM operated with a solenoid). it's actually on the BACK of the throttle body, right in front of the firewall. it's pretty easy to see/find on the SOHC but it's probably underneath the intake manifold on the DOHC like other people said.

as far as your engine acting strange, check for vacuum leaks. see if there are any loose hoses or anything like that.

gforce240sx
02-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Sykikchimp:
Well, I cleaned it like you said. (I think)

I couldn't actuall find the IAA Valve, so I read another forum that was posted recently and found a hose that appeared to make the car die, when it was closed off when at idle. I was hoping this was the hose that led to the IAA valve.

Here it is: Throttle body/ IAA valve image (http://home.carolina.rr.com/sykikchimp/charlie/tb.jpg)

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]That's not where the IAA valve is. Do you know where to adjust your idle? The idle screw? If you can find that, that's it. I'll take a pix of it this weekend on the KA24DE that I have, sitting outside at my friend's back yard. Also, I don't recommend spraying carb cleaner into your maf directly. I know someone who had to buy another maf after he did that.

Danny.

02-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by gforce240sx:
That's not where the IAA valve is.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]True, but that hose does connect to the IAA...on the KA24DE, it runs underneath the intake runners and attaches to the IAA unit.

Asad

SykikCHIMP
02-12-2002, 04:02 PM
I haven't messed with the DOHC engine enough to know where the Idle adjusment screw is. Picture will help greatly.

so spraying Cleaner in that hose should've helped right? Or would it be better if I find the actual IAA valve and clean directly on it?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 08:26 PM
If you look at the eng11 picture of your engine you can see part of the valve you are looking for. If you follow the line created by the engine mating to your bell housing,look right above your starter and that is it. It is the light colored plug that faces your firewall. That is the IACV-FICD solenoid valve. Right next to it is the IACV-AAC valve. The Idle Air Adjusting(I.A.A.) valve is made up of these two parts and the idle adjusting screw. I would post a pic with arrows pointing to it but I don't know how to post them.

SykikCHIMP
02-12-2002, 10:03 PM
you can email it to me.. sykikchimp@carolina.rr.com

SykikCHIMP
02-12-2002, 10:07 PM
side question: any idea where the oil on the wires above the motor mount is comming from??

http://home.carolina.rr.com/sykikchimp/charlie/newcar//images/eng11.jpg

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 10:11 PM
the oil filter is right there, so oil is probably spilled on those wires whenever the oil filter's changed.

Originally posted by Sykikchimp:
side question: any idea where the oil on the wires above the motor mount is comming from??

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]