PDA

View Full Version : Switching from DOT 5 to DOT 3 brake fluid

91 240
04-13-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm helping a friend out who just got a 98 240 from a hardcore road racer in VA. His brake system consists of Z32 calipers all around, Z32 m/c, stainless lines and DOT 5 fluid. This going to be his daily driver. He's noticed that the pedal is a little spongy, which I know is common with DOT 5.

I know DOT 3/4 and DOT 5 are of totally different composistions and are incompatable to mix. I know you can switch from a DOT 3/4 to DOT 5 if the entire system is bleed before adding the DOT 5.

Now, is it safe to switch from DOT 5 to back to DOT 3? I've heard that DOT 5 is very tough to completely remove from the system. I've also heard that switching the fluid types could possilby damage the rubber parts in the system (calipers, m/c) causing repairs or replacement.

Is there a good way to completely remove all the DOT 5 without having to worry about replacing anything? Or, would he be stuck rebuilding the calipers and master cylinder and replacing all the lines?

Hopefully someone will know. Thanks

Kookz
04-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Is it definitely DOT 5 and not 5.1?

240x2
04-13-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm helping a friend out who just got a 98 240 from a hardcore road racer in VA. His brake system consists of Z32 calipers all around, Z32 m/c, stainless lines and DOT 5 fluid. This going to be his daily driver. He's noticed that the pedal is a little spongy, which I know is common with DOT 5.

I know DOT 3/4 and DOT 5 are of totally different composistions and are incompatable to mix. I know you can switch from a DOT 3/4 to DOT 5 if the entire system is bleed before adding the DOT 5.

Now, is it safe to switch from DOT 5 to back to DOT 3? I've heard that DOT 5 is very tough to completely remove from the system. I've also heard that switching the fluid types could possilby damage the rubber parts in the system (calipers, m/c) causing repairs or replacement.

Is there a good way to completely remove all the DOT 5 without having to worry about replacing anything? Or, would he be stuck rebuilding the calipers and master cylinder and replacing all the lines?

Hopefully someone will know. Thanks

From what I heard it really su* balls to do this,u have totally drain the system,and bleed the system as bad as 3-5 times,some times change lines,dont take my word but good luck... http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/ack2.gif

91 240
04-14-2006, 08:03 AM
The previous owner said that it is infact DOT 5.

Broaner
04-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Going back to DOT 3/4 is easier than the original switch. The problem with the 3/4 to 5 swap is that the 3/4 is much more corrosive and is actually a thicker fluid. So, the seals in the system get chewed away. But you don't notice that they're bad until the thinner DOT 5 is put into the system. The 5 is much less corrosive but it leaks through the seals that the 3/4 didn't. So, if they seals hold for the 5 they should be more than adequate for the 3/4.

Now about how they mix I can't speculate too much. I've heard that flushing with denatured alcohol works well.

rogoman
04-16-2006, 07:56 PM

To completely remove DOT5, the calipers and the master cylinder must also be disassembled and washed out.