PDA

View Full Version : 490 whp Monster Roadster

bambam
04-18-2006, 05:19 AM
Alright guys, as the season is starting back up again and my Baby is coming out from the garage/shop I thought I would post up some of the work that has been done of late... Some of you have seen the doors, interior and seats, but a majority of the work over the winter has been in preparing my car for some serious horsepower this spring/ summer.

With the ultimate goal of over 700whp, Dave & Mike (from Altered Atmosphere) and I have spent the winter planning and building up all the required aspects of the car. We have installed the AAM Spec II Fuel System with external surge tank, AAM True Dual MaxFlow 3" Exhaust with test pipes/open dumps, 1000cc HKS injectors, HKS F-Con Pro with knock/pressure/temp sensors and HKS Navigator to monitor all the engine functions. We have also put some additional cooling into the mix for those hot summers with a new Koyo radiator, custom Oil cooler and the Seibon VT hood to allow some of that hot air to get out.

Obviously to add all of these things we needed to continually monitor and tune the engine to make the most from all of these enhancements. Mike spent several days building the maps required for the various boost settings and fine tuning the maps on their dyno (and better yet on the street for real world partial throttle, smooth driving and actual loads)

As the most recent dyno graphs show, I am getting 503whp (uncorrected) / 452ft-lbs @ 5250 rpm at just over 10 PSI. On pump gas!! Mike tuned this conservatively on the rich side to provide some additional safety for my long road trips up and down the coast. The stability and reliability of this setup can be seen in that I raced the car @ 10 PSI on a Saturday morning at MIR... I then drove from Maryland to Florida (1000 miles) in 16 hours with no problems. After 2 weeks in Florida, I drove the car back from Orlando to New Hampshire (1500 miles) in 4 days, again no problems of any sort. The car drives VERY well and will put the power to the road in a quickness.. IF you need any convincing, ask me for a ride.... I am sure it will impress. Just be prepared to open your wallet when I am done as it will convince you to go FI if you already haven't :O

I have to say that adding the F-Con Pro was a great idea. We were going to do this after I had the new engine built and installed, but Mike and Dave recommended we install it earlier and prove out some of their ideas on the reliability of the current stock engine. This turned out be a really good idea. We have pushed the envelope for a stock engine with the help of the F-Con and Mike has been able to dial in really good partial throttle driving. The response is great and the idle is no different then when we first installed the Greddy TT. Keep in mind I am running on 1000 cc injectors, that is pretty amazing. I will admit that idle is a bit rougher then a bone stock car... but it is pretty impressive to me that the car has never died on me and balances out so well for such large injectors.

Now, the AAM exhaust.... MY GOD... I absolutely love it... There are a lot of people that say test pipes ruin the deep quality of a decent exhaust. I can say that with mine, I hear nothing raspy and only a strong tone until the wastegates open... Then it just shouts out like a mean MoFo... Now to me in the car I think this is really nice and gives it an aggressive feel and lets people know the car means business. BUT I have had people driving next to me say it is just LOUD AS H#ll and surprised the $H!T out of them. In the car I don't hear it that way and do not find it at all bad. Also, you can control when the dumps open by throttle modulation and not going WOT unless you want to. As usual, exhaust notes appeal to different people different ways. I love mine and will not change it (unless the Inspection man makes me.. )

So for those of you that go to the track, MIR in particular, or go to the shows expect to see my baby around a lot this summer. Let me know what you think of her, any ideas you might have and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have lots of plans for her this summer and hope to be surprising some people by early fall with some further enhancements. Currently installing custom audio, diff, axels and awaiting custom built engine.

The car will be starting the local season at HIN, April 22 at Dulles Expo Center in Altered Atmosphere's booth. Come out and see her.

See you all around town guys.

--B

PS. I will be adding the Dyno graph and some pictures next.

bambam
04-18-2006, 05:29 AM
OK,

So here are the Dyno Graphs.

Uncorrected: 502hp / 452ft-lbs@5250rpms

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/_forumpost/brent/dyno.gif

SAE corrected: 490hp / 440ft-lbs@5250rpms

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/_forumpost/brent/dyno1.gif

bambam
04-18-2006, 05:42 AM
OK, here are some pictures. I would post more up-to-date and better quality pics, but I notice you can only post pics hosted on a website. All of my pictures are on my PC, so I can only post those that AAM is hosting for me.

Engine: (Minus the Chrome Battery Covers and UTR Carbon Fiber Engine cover)
http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/_forumpost/brent/enginebay2.jpg

Exterior: (Local Airport next to AAM)
http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/_forumpost/brent/planes.jpg

Interior: (before Extensive modifications for Audio and custon Fiberglass)
http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/_forumpost/brent/interior.jpg

My car with be at HIN @ Dulles Expo center on April 22. Look for my car at AAM's booth.

Hope to see you all soon,

--B

asad
04-18-2006, 07:06 AM
OK, here are some pictures. I would post more up-to-date and better quality pics, but I notice you can only post pics hosted on a website. All of my pictures are on my PC, so I can only post those that AAM is hosting for me.

FA now has photohosting...I forget what the link is, but you should be able to find it if you hunt around on the forum.

Asad

helldorado
04-18-2006, 08:11 AM

FA now has photohosting...I forget what the link is, but you should be able to find it if you hunt around on the forum.

Asad

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/main.php

The car looks great. I really like the linearity and smoothness of the power gains from the GReddy. Mike and I were talking about that last weekend for some of my future plans. I want more of a linear boost along those lines, and I really like what the guys have done using that kit, the AAM spec parts and the F-Con.

Seeing things like this make me very excited for the work I'm starting up with them now. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wperdigon
04-18-2006, 10:34 AM
man that looks awesome - i'm glad to see the shop i work for do awesome work like that!

palmerwmd
04-18-2006, 06:13 PM
BamBam:

Your pics and car are awesome!!

Have ypou foun dit neccessary to isnatll an oilcooler and/or upgraded oil at at all? http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/auto.gif

wperdigon
04-19-2006, 08:51 AM
If not I owuld run the Motul oil - I'm running it with no problems which is nice -

Eagle1
04-19-2006, 11:30 AM
His post says he is running a custom oil cooler. A good synthetic racing oil is very much recommended for the higher heat stresses likely to ensue from such a powerful turbo application. Also, to the extent possible, greater capacity through an oil pan spacer or deeper capacity lower oil pan. The oil cooler will probably add a substantial increase in capacity from the cooler and delivery/return lines. You may not want to go crazy with a higher quality filtration to remove micro particulates (they attract and hold heat and thus their removal contributes very much to running lower temps). A vented hood should help drop indicated water temps by as much as 3 to 4 degrees centigrade, so definitely should be considered. Run some Redline Water Wetter to improve exchange properties in the radiator. The removal of bubbles against the surface can increase contact areas by at least 10% and perhaps as much as 20% depending on configurations and other attributes, and simply increasing thermal exchange efficiencies is a big help.
Sounds like a super build and a great car!

bambam
04-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Eagle1:

Thanks for some of those tips. I will check into the water wetter and talk with Mike about my Oil. I am pretty sure we are already using Synthetic from Mobile.
We did discuss a larger oil pan, but the cooling unit + lines added 1-2 quarts to the system. We did not think at the time it would be necessary for a larger pan. As the summer heats up we will review the need again. I already have the vented hood and I do believe that helped cool the engine bay down quite a bit too.
--B