PDA

View Full Version : About to install AC in S13SR S14. Questions

jimmyjames
05-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Ok, redtop SR20 in 97 S14, about to mount SR compressor to engine. I read something about needing a pathfinder clutch, is this only if you're using KA compressor? Is there any prep that needs to be done to the SR compressor, its been sitting for a year. After I install it and install a belt (does anyone have the belt #), what else will need to be done? I know I need to go to an AC shop and have custom lines made, but what else? I read so much different information on wiring that I'm more confused and overwhelmed than anything. Please I've tried searching, but I still can't seem to find any definitive answers to these questions.

SR20DEBT
05-17-2006, 02:42 PM
You only need to adapt the pulley / relocate tbe compressor if you are using the KA compressor on the SR motor. If you are using an SR compressor on an SR motor, why would you adapt anything at all?

A local guy here is getting a few of these machined one of these days, but he's having trouble generating genuine interest. They are cast aluminum brackets for the SR and will be drilled to fit either KA or SR compressors. It's already worth it for the weight savings alone, IMO.

http://www.wtfhost.com//files/252/misc/bracket%202.JPG

Homer_Simpson
05-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I would gladly pay for one of these as early as this weekend. I know of another place that is doing something very similar (billet aluminum) to bolt the KA compressor to the SR, but they are still testing it. I'm sure the guy will drop in and clarify it further. Please PM me about the potential cost since I'm very interested.

jclark462
05-17-2006, 07:55 PM
I used everything from my s14 except the AC Bracket? 3 of 4 holse line up. Pulley is a little off but the belt still works. Nothing special needed. it was so easy I wanted to hit myself for driving for 3 years without AC. http://forums.freshalloy.com/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

jimmyjames
06-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Ok, I'm pretty sure I have the KA compressor now after an intial miscommunication. 3 of the 4 bolts line up, however the pully is about 2 centimeters too far inward, and the top bolt that I used can't be screwed in completely or the pulley will hit the bracket. THe bottom two are very tight however.

But the belt will go on just fine and work ok even with the pulley being a little off? I'm going to an AC shop tomorrow to get lines made. What needs to be done as far as wiring? Thanks for all the help.

jclark462
06-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Refer to this thread.http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=103266&highlight=Official

The belt hangs of the front of the ac compressor by 1 rib. You could probably just get a 3 rib belt the same length and it will work perfect. I have ran it hanging off for about 6 months now with no problem. I just pulled the motor and put it back in to and the belt looks perfect. Wiring is stupid simple. AC in south florida is a must. I went without for about 3 years. Man I feel dumb!!

Tyler_240
06-06-2006, 11:08 AM
NAPA sells a 3 rib belt in the correct length. I can't check my car for the part # atm, but i know it is available and it works great. Don't cut a rib off a 4 rib belt whatever you do.