PDA

View Full Version : Restoration: Problem Areas

mamaboy
06-01-2006, 01:47 AM
To all who have restored a 510 just one question. where are the common rust/rot areas that you have seen. i've examed my chassis and found the base where the glass and trunk meet have rot. of course, the bottom of the quarter panels, and the floors. any other hidden areas that i may have missed.

davex2
06-08-2006, 12:58 AM
1 important area to look at is below the battery tray. look at the suspension on the passenger side. Then in front of the strut you might see the undercoating bubbling. Scrape it off see if it is rusting

JJwester
08-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Iv started a ground up restoration of a 72 510 and here is what iv found. Check under the front fenders where the dash drains are. I agree with the battery tray. Check the trunk on the very edges the metal is thin and the carpet collects water there. Where the floor pans and seat rails meet. Under the doors where the door drains are. Iv got a DimeQuarterly article the outlines all the problem rust areas if you want any more information.

Respectfully
BM2 Wester

detroadster
08-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Upper front fender mounts. Pop the hood and look at the bolts along the top of the fenders. The sheet metal that those bolts go into likes to rot as does various other spots along the lower edge of the front fenders where wet leaves and other debris likes to get stuck. Basically, just pull the front fenders and see what ya got lurking in there!