PDA

View Full Version : Meathead Bites the Dust

Magellan
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
There’s no question that I live in a liberal State, but looking at the results of yesterday’s California primary, perhaps there’s a positive change among my Democratic friends. On the ballot was Proposition 82, an initiative backed by Rob Reiner that would have established a $2.4 billon preschool program for four-year olds funded by a surtax on anyone making over $400,000 per year, another attempt to redistribute the wealth by sticking it to the rich. There was also a bond measure to fund library growth throughout the State.

They were cleverly put on the June primary ballot instead of the usual practice of putting them on the general November election because more Democrats, inclined to vote for this sort of thing, would turn out to vote in this primary due to a heated contest between two Democratic candidates for Governor. It was thought that few Republicans would bother to vote yesterday, as the current Governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, was running unopposed.

But it didn’t turn out that way at all. The preschool proposition was defeated by a substantial 61 to 39 percent margin, and the library bond measure was also defeated. Perhaps California Democrats are finally tired of excessive spending and taxation that has burdened the State for years, and are now no more inclined to throw money at dubious programs through higher taxes and expensive bond measures than Republicans. I told my wife not to pack just yet. There is still hope for us.

WhereHaveYouBeen
06-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Well, hopefully california can still be financially saved. I'm sure illegal immigration doesn't help them.

M_TYPE_X
06-07-2006, 04:00 PM
This is ALMOST as good as the Utter Defeat of Chip Letzgus and Shiro Nakamura. If I never see another Isuzu VehiCRASS again, I'll be content. :p

WhereHaveYouBeen
06-07-2006, 05:22 PM
They actually have those down there?

kennycrudup
06-07-2006, 08:46 PM
What Magellan Said.

First thing I knew when I saw the $400K tax was that (1) it was another stupid soak the "rich" tax, (2) that $400K limit would gradually drop down lower and lower and (3) the tax' percentage rate would go up and up.

kennycrudup
06-07-2006, 08:52 PM
... due to a heated contest between two Democratic candidates for Governor. It was thought that few Republicans would bother to vote yesterday, as the current Governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, was running unopposed.
Didja see that Ahhhnold, although he wasn't running, got far more votes than either Democratic candidate, and something like 65% of their combined total?

Magellan
06-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Well, it should be an interesting race. Phil Angelides, the Democrat, has all but promised tax increases to balance the budget. Arnold, not really known for being much of a conservative, has still satisfied most California Republicans by resisting tax increases. And, as the Los Angeles Times pointed out this morning, it has been more than 60 years since a California governor has been denied a second term in office (If you don’t consider the successful recall of Gray Davis which got Arnold in). I expect Angelides to conduct a mud slinging campaign with Schwarzenegger pretty much laughing it off.

WhereHaveYouBeen
06-08-2006, 01:32 PM
AHNULD 2008!!! Or 2012!!!!

kennycrudup
06-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Well, it should be an interesting race.
I just saw my first Ahhhhnold ad- slamming Angelides' proposed $10B in additional taxes.

You shoulda seen my FITB bill for '05- if that joker makes it into office, I swear I might either leave the state or incorporate elsewhere and take advantage of tax sheltering.

Magellan
06-10-2006, 01:54 PM
I just saw my first Ahhhhnold ad- slamming Angelides' proposed $10B in additional taxes.

You shoulda seen my FITB bill for '05- if that joker makes it into office, I swear I might either leave the state or incorporate elsewhere and take advantage of tax sheltering.
Yes, there’s no question that Arnold will hammer away at Angelides’ tax increase proposals, but what worries me is when the powerful (and rich) teachers and service unions step up like they did to put Schwarzenegger down in the last special election, things will get nasty. But promising a large tax increase is still a loser, even in California, so I'm hoping for the best.

bosozoku
06-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Well, hopefully california can still be financially saved. I'm sure illegal immigration doesn't help them.

Historians make several STARK refrences to the Roman Empire when they speak in regards to Californias immigration problem. This frightens me as I plan to purchase a home in one of the most prosperous/expensive areas in Southern California to leave to my children; granted I'll niether be in this country nor alive when this occurs but still, disheartening none the less.

M_TYPE_X
06-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Historians make several STARK refrences to the Roman Empire when they speak in regards to Californias immigration problem. This frightens me as I plan to purchase a home in one of the most prosperous/expensive areas in Southern California to leave to my children; granted I'll niether be in this country nor alive when this occurs but still, disheartening none the less.

I suggest mid-Illinois. There will always be the corn.

bosozoku
06-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Corn doesn't intrigue me, ocean front San Clemente does. Resell would be great, but I would discourage such a notion. Take your corn and try to tell it why the senate is as significant as you you all claim it to be in daily American life, having done so the corn and I would have shared similar sentiments for your inane, and half-witted observations: Apathy.