PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket ignition with AEM EMS?

sr20z3
06-11-2006, 04:29 AM
So tuning my car last night and found that at 25 psi spark is cutting out. I have the one step colder plugs (NGK 7's gapped at .028) and brand new coilpacks in. I am guessing I am running around 420-450whp? So the question is, those with standalone EMS, what are you running for ignition setup? I have heard of the motorcycle or LS1 coils being used but couldnt find much info on this?v

imported__Id_
06-12-2006, 04:59 AM
So tuning my car last night and found that at 25 psi spark is cutting out. I have the one step colder plugs (NGK 7's gapped at .028) and brand new coilpacks in. I am guessing I am running around 420-450whp? So the question is, those with standalone EMS, what are you running for ignition setup? I have heard of the motorcycle or LS1 coils being used but couldnt find much info on this?v

Since its AEM-based, I doubt it matters so much as the car vs how you set it up with the ECU; but LS1 coil conversions are VERY common on 2jz apps. On the aem forum and in the tuning forum on supraforums, you'll find alot of information.

2slow240sx
06-12-2006, 05:19 AM
Ivan from www.turbo240.com (AMS) is using CBR600F4i coils on his 718whp KA setup, in conjunction with the EMS.

Another pretty solid tuning forum is www.efi101.com/forum

Hit up the AEM section.

Ovrated
06-12-2006, 01:40 PM
i just used split fire coil packs..

i have the same plugs. at 25 psi, no cut out issues, and i made 517whp. the splitifres are nice!

sr20z3
06-12-2006, 11:30 PM
I think I will end up buying the Splitfires just becasue they are a simple plug and play. I was also looking at the AEM C2DI Twin Cap CDI 4 Channel. Anyone install this yet? It looks like a great piece.

BoostedVR4
06-14-2006, 05:56 PM
I think I will end up buying the Splitfires just becasue they are a simple plug and play. I was also looking at the AEM C2DI Twin Cap CDI 4 Channel. Anyone install this yet? It looks like a great piece.

I was actually thinking of getting this or the SplitFire coils to use with my EMS. I haven't had any issues with the ignition yet (only 310whp) but I'm going with a GT35R soon. Hopefully someone tries the C2DI so we can compare.

Pstl_Pete
06-14-2006, 10:15 PM
I am running an HKS Ignition Amplifier with my AEM, which is a plug and play unit that connects between the coils and your wiring. Install is 5 minutes and so far it has worked without any ill consequences. Im only making 320whp though.

XSDAILO
06-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Check out our Power Pack (http://www.xs-engineering.com/xsstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=195&idproduct=604). We use these on almost every SR that comes in to the shop. We've used stock coils, Apex Iridium plugs, and the PowerPack to well over 560whp. You can use the coupon code DC0630400002 if you want to save some money since it's on sale this month. It can be used in conjunction with the HKS Twin Power for the ultimate spark power. The Power Pack is a whole lot less expensive than any other ignition mod out there.

With the EMS and our Power Pack, you'll have to turn down the dwell time significantly since the coils will be running at 20v+. We've had to turn them down more than 50% in some cases since the dwell times in AEM's basemaps were not derived from actual dwell vs. voltage coil saturation measurements.