PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Comparison

Riffster
06-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Another 'coup(e)' for Freshalloy and our G35 forum!

Thanks to Dave0 of Nissan Sport Magazine (helped by Eagle1) - http://www.nissansportmag.com - for the kind of magazine comparison that really helps the prospective turbocharger customer make a choice! The comparison was made using a mixture of automatic and manual 350Z and G35 coupes (note the second row of the table.)

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/5811-1/Turbo_ComparisonR2.JPG

Take a careful look at the horsepower and torque available at certain points in the rpm band and draw your own conclusions as to which turbocharger is going to be in your Nissan or Infiniti!

Personally, I have drawn a conclusion of which is the more useful for the street or track - let's hear what you guys have to say!

Now you guys know why I subscribe to both DaveO's magazine and his 'Insider' newsletter as well!

- Riff

DaveO
06-27-2006, 08:39 AM
While representative of what happened on the dyno, this spreadsheet is only part of the story. The three evaluators found that each turbo system offered unique advantages that were detailed in the original article by Jeff Wisener. The Turbonetics was a single turbo setup, all others were twin turbos. The SFR and PE cars were A/T's. The PE car was in need of tuning. Different tuning could have (would have) changed these results for better or worse depending on your point of view.

helldorado
06-27-2006, 01:27 PM
I never had a chance to read the original story, were these all stock engines? If the SFR car is the red coupe I'm thinking of, I know he has a built engine as well as transmission. Just not sure if that was all in place at the time of the test or what the other vehicles had.

What Dave O pointed out is really important. Just taking numbers at face value doesn't tell the whole story, ever. It doesn't take into consideration other vehicle modifications or other factors. Yes, the numbers are what they are, but you need to look at the whole picture. The PE guys ultimately have to live with the fact they made a poor showing because SportZ can't turn around and print, "well if it was tuned properly it would've done xxx." But that doesn't mean the PE kit is flawed and doesn't have a ton of potential.

I think this is a good snapshot of what a kit can do on a particular setup, but I'd have to read the whole article before I could draw any conclusions for myself.

PullingMaxGs
07-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Another 'coup(e)' for Freshalloy and our G35 forum!

Thanks to Dave0 of Nissan Sport Magazine (helped by Eagle1) - http://www.nissansportmag.com - for the kind of magazine comparison that really helps the prospective turbocharger customer make a choice! The comparison was made using a mixture of automatic and manual 350Z and G35 coupes (note the second row of the table.)

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/5811-1/Turbo_ComparisonR2.JPG

Take a careful look at the horsepower and torque available at certain points in the rpm band and draw your own conclusions as to which turbocharger is going to be in your Nissan or Infiniti!

Personally, I have drawn a conclusion of which is the more useful for the street or track - let's hear what you guys have to say!

Now you guys know why I subscribe to both DaveO's magazine and his 'Insider' newsletter as well!

- Riff

Riff, I just dropped a single turbo (turbonectics) into my Coupe - - wise choice? I don't plan on alot of track, not any street racing. Your thoughts?!?!?!?!?

Riffster
07-09-2006, 09:49 AM
I am not terribly familiar with Turbonetics, but any recommendations about FI and the VQ should start with proper tuning being done to make sure your air-fuel mixture is correct amongst other things. Running 8 psi (as in the table) may be okay with the turbonetics single turbo but I have been told to be wary of running that high with twin turbos. I would be happier with 6-7 PSI. Generally you want to run lower anyway on the street - the car is more economical and 'tamer' for the kind of driving that a responsible driver like you wants to do on the public roads.

In other words, I would think the REALLY important thing in so far as day-to-day driving is concerned is being sure your turbo kit was installed by someone who did proper tuning prior to, during, and after the install. This is to make sure it is properly integrated into your car's engine and drivetrain to deliver increased power with as little effect on reliability and affordability as possible.

What brand the kit is is somewhat secondary especially if you're not obsessing about power band or numbers - even the the best turbo or supercharger kit will be a disaster for you if it's not properly installed.

Good luck!

- Riff