PDA

View Full Version : did i damage my engine

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Hey i changed my oil today and i made a hugh mistake.. after i put the oil filter on i went in and turned my car on.. ONLY for like 1 to 2 seconds. The thing i forgot was the oil.. i didn't have any oil in the car.. Is that going to damage my engine or turbo? I turned the car off right away. I filled up the oil and ran the car for a while.. Then i went to pick up my mom, and then i heard this wierd noise everytime my boost was comming up.. like even when i was at 0 psi i heard the noise.. the higher the boost the more noise it made.. it sounded like those old cars that need new engines.. it was some sort of puttering.. hope i didn't do any damage..

s13SRmadness
02-12-2002, 01:38 PM
1 or 2 seconds... probably no damage.
with my ka i did this for a solid 30 seconds and it was fine...
fine for a truck motor anyway

Natty
02-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Replicant_s14:
1 or 2 secs shouldn't kill an otherwise good engine.

I change the oil on a 420sel one time, put the cap back on and looked down only to see that I was standing in the middle of 8 quarts of 15w40.

doh!!!

*note to self, put the plug in BEFORE adding oil*<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I thought I was the only person to ever do that. Then I posted at www.vwvortex.com (http://www.vwvortex.com) and a few other admitted it too. I think alot of people do it at least once. Just be glad it wasn't on an agregate driveway. That was a PITA to clean up. Like 2 hours...
Natty

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 06:34 PM
do u think that i might have messed up the bearings in my t28.. I have the s14 motor.. Everytime i am boosting I hear a wierd sound. its like metals rubbing together.. I don't think its comming from the engine.. it sounds like its comming from the turbo..

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 06:45 PM
I think the bearing in the turbo is damaged.. I am not sure, but when i get close to 0psi the noise starts. If the boost in vacume state i don't hear the noise. The engine sounds fine.. the noise is like the sound of two metals rubbing together.. do u think i need a new tubo soon. If so will a T3 fit right on the my stock manifold? I was thinking of getting a t3/t4 soon anyways.. Do i need to modify anything by the engine to provide more room for the t3/t4? thanks

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 08:00 PM
the engine itself should be fine...they are pretty tough...however the turbo probably isnt happy anymore....the bearings in those take quite a beating, even though it was only at idle it was still spinning quite fast.....add that to the fact that you most likely dont know the history of the turbo on your engine and how it was taken care of, it might have just been the fatal blow to it....but at least the engine is fine