PDA

View Full Version : EBC Greenstuff Pads

SykikCHIMP
02-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Anybody have any experience with these? Opinions? I've heard really good things about them.

Also, Anyone know where someone could get them fairly cheap??

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2002, 05:06 PM
got mine here
no complaints

http://brakeco.com/

they are reliable and ship fast

jimc-s13
02-12-2002, 06:13 PM
I ran some for about a year. They stop ok, and dust very little. They fade without much provocation, but still probably better than stock or autopart store cheap pads.

I couldn't find them online at the time, so I called EBC and they gave me the number to a distributor.

SykikCHIMP
02-12-2002, 10:33 PM
So what pads do you guys recommend? I want something that doesn't fade as bad. I HATE brake fade. But something that doesn't dust real bad? And can stand a little track duty too.

jimc-s13
02-13-2002, 06:14 AM
So what pads do you guys recommend? I want something that doesn't fade as bad. I HATE brake fade. But something that doesn't dust real bad? And can stand a little track duty too. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Fade as bad as what? The EBC Green Stuff pads would fade after about 6-8 consecutive hard braking from medium-high speeds, even with my brake ducts. They would have faded on a track in probably 4 laps, depending on the track.

I don't think there is a good pad that can take track use and still be street friendly. I've tried a couple of "street/track combo" pads (Hawk HP+ and Porterfield R4S), and they both sucked on the street and the track. They dusted like crazy, squealed like a garbage truck (not an exaggeration!), and still faded on the track after a few laps.

The stock-type (Jurid) pads on my BMW are decent pads that can take quite a bit before fading, but they dust a lot and squeal a little.

If you can put up with some dust, the Panther Plus pads are great. They won't fade on the track, the are easy on the rotors, and they stop hard even when cold. However, your wheels will be black in a very short time. On the plus side, the dust is easy to clean off, unlike the dust from some other brake pads. On the minus side, they are $100+.

In short, I don't think there is a good pad that can take track (ab)use and still be a good pad on the street (i.e. low dust and noise).

I'm running the Carbotech Street compound right now. It is very low dust, and stops well. However, while I've not exercised them to the point of fade, I do know they'll take a few consecutive medium-speed slowdowns (80 to 30) without fading. I've never done more than about 4 or 5 in a row, though, so I don't know exactly when these pads will fade. On the downside, they are also $100+. However, I've had them on the car for a year now and they they look like they'll last forever.

For the money, the EBC Green Stuff wasn't a bad street pad for me.

Jim

cjfast_1
02-13-2002, 11:31 AM
Try, Axxis Metal Masters or their new pad the Axxis "Ulitmate". I just got the Metal Masters installed on my 300zx brake upgrade and I love em. But, I don't have any track time on them. I've heard that there 'OK' in Auto-X and fair on the track. But, like I said I don't have an a opinion on that, and haven't put a lot of miles on them either.....

ADAM HUTCHINSON
02-13-2002, 11:43 AM
axxiss metal masters ..used them with my stock 240sx brakes..and now have them on my 300zx brakes..used them for track use ..and some street driving..very good...

**DONOTDELETE**
02-13-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by jimc-s13:
[QUOTE] The EBC Green Stuff pads would fade after about 6-8 consecutive hard braking from medium-high speeds, even with my brake ducts. They would have faded on a track in probably 4 laps, depending on the track.

I don't think there is a good pad that can take track use and still be street friendly. I've tried a couple of "street/track combo" pads (Hawk HP+ and Porterfield R4S), and they both sucked on the street and the track. They dusted like crazy, squealed like a garbage truck (not an exaggeration!), and still faded on the track after a few laps.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I was thinking of going w/ the Axxis metal masters for my next street pads. Most of what I hear about squealing and dusting is good, although I would not track them w/o expecting fade 5-7 laps in. I think your experience with HP+ are almost as bad as I've heard about the EBCs. R4s always get good reviews, but I think some people are just biased to Porterfields.

Originally posted by jimc-s13:
[QUOTE]
If you can put up with some dust, the Panther Plus pads are great. They won't fade on the track, the are easy on the rotors, and they stop hard even when cold. However, your wheels will be black in a very short time. On the plus side, the dust is easy to clean off, unlike the dust from some other brake pads. On the minus side, they are $100+.

I'm running the Carbotech Street compound right now. It is very low dust, and stops well. However, while I've not exercised them to the point of fade, I do know they'll take a few consecutive medium-speed slowdowns (80 to 30) without fading. I've never done more than about 4 or 5 in a row, though, so I don't know exactly when these pads will fade. On the downside, they are also $100+. However, I've had them on the car for a year now and they they look like they'll last forever.

Jim<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I thought I was the only Nissan guy running CarboTechs http://www.freshalloy.com/ I run the Panther Plus and they are awesome. The car only gets driven for about 750 miles a month (counting occasional track days), so my experience is that of an occasional driver. When they are cold, the PPs sound like they are eating the rotors and they don't like to stop! Heat = squealing. Dust is really not bad at all, if you wax your wheels. Wear is good for my use (3,000 mi mostly street and they look healthy). Oh yeah - and they STOP! (of course at $136 shipped, they are a luxury item).

I was actually looking at the CT street pads, in comparison to the Axxis. In your experience, are they worth double the price of the rest?

mark

Mav1178
02-13-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Sykikchimp:
So what pads do you guys recommend? I want something that doesn't fade as bad. I HATE brake fade. But something that doesn't dust real bad? And can stand a little track duty too.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Well, if you really are pushing your car that hard, perhaps it is time to look at ways to dissapate the heat, or increase the heat holding capacity of the brakes?

There are plenty of superb brake pads that will fade if given too much abuse. At that point, you are overworking the brakes. It all depends on how you drive.

I have Z32 brakes on my car, with OE Nissan pads. I drive my car *very* hard at the track, yet I can't seem to reproduce the brake fade that most people talk about. I have more issues with warped rotors than fading pads.

As for EBC pads, I've only used the Reds, not the Greenstuff pads. I'm sure the Greenstuff would work fine for whatever you need. Or, if brake fade is such an issue for you, start making some custom brake air duct to cool them down faster.

-alex

KAkiller
02-13-2002, 02:55 PM
I've driven cars equipped with EBC Greens and Reds, both cars with the same calipers and rotors. I noticed that with the greens that inital Bite when you get on the brakes was strong yet it did seem to last. With the Reds the intial bite wasn't as strong but once you got more deep into the pedal the strength came out. Personally I liked the Reds over the Greens felt slightly more controlled to me, but thats just my personal prefrence between the 2. Overall I like OEM pads the best.

BTW: I only drove the cars on street, and I got these impressions manily on freeway off ramps. Sorry no track experience with them.

HTH
AC

jimc-s13
02-13-2002, 04:12 PM
I thought I was the only Nissan guy running CarboTechs I run the Panther Plus and they are awesome. The car only gets driven for about 750 miles a month (counting occasional track days), so my experience is that of an occasional driver. When they are cold, the PPs sound like they are eating the rotors and they don't like to stop!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]That's kind of strange. My Panther Plus pads don't make any strange sounds or squealing hot or cold. Now the Hawk race pads sound (and act) like a grindstone against the rotor when they are cold.

I was actually looking at the CT street pads, in comparison to the Axxis. In your experience, are they worth double the price of the rest? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I don't know. They don't grip as well as the Panther Plus pads, but they don't dust much at all. They grip well for a street pad, and haven't worn much at all over the past year.

I thought the metal masters sucked when I had those on my car. They didn't grip well at all, I couldn't even get into the ABS on dry pavement even at lower speeds.

Jim

StealthmodeS14
02-13-2002, 04:19 PM
I have the Axxis MM pads on my S14 at all four corners as well and have no complaints..one of the best pads I've used. Haven't had any track time or done any auto x-ing with them, but heard from many that they last pretty well.

..plan to use them on my 300x upgrade as well:)

[ 02-13-2002, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: HondakillaS14 ]

ADAM HUTCHINSON
02-14-2002, 06:24 AM
alex brings up a good point...alot of this has to do with driving style.....and the tracks you are at..and the speed.......i used my stock brakes with brembo rotors and metal master pads for years on the track....no fade...then went to turbo..and the extra speed killed them in 2 laps....

there are alot of variables

SykikCHIMP
02-14-2002, 07:13 AM
Anybody have any expereience with Bendix Pads?