PDA

View Full Version : turbo fuel management issue

jmcn
02-13-2002, 03:06 PM
For my low pressure turbo project I am planning on getting used 300ZX injectors and fuel pump, and an Apexi S-AFC. Now, do I need to run a rising-rate fuel pressure regulator like the Vortech unit in addition to the AFC? http://www.freshalloy.com/

-Jeff

**DONOTDELETE**
02-13-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by jmcn:
For my low pressure turbo project I am planning on getting used 300ZX injectors and fuel pump, and an Apexi S-AFC. Now, do I need to run a rising-rate fuel pressure regulator like the Vortech unit in addition to the AFC? http://www.freshalloy.com/

-Jeff<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]What kind of setup are you running? FMU's are not the most reliable source of fuel management! Why not get a JWT reprogrammed ECU with a larger intake pump and larger injectors? An AFC and Z32 MAF can only bandaid a problem, not actually solve it!

Louis Anaya
APEX Motorsports

jmcn
02-13-2002, 03:15 PM
This is what I am planning on doing:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=009971&p=

**DONOTDELETE**
02-13-2002, 03:16 PM
Because it turns out to be very inexpensive vs what you proposed.

and very easy to tune. For low pressure that would be the way to go. You can get up to 300 hp out of 370cc injectors if the pressure is risen.

you may have to use the afc to lean out the curve if you put an FMU in it. Id say do it. Very inexpensive and easy to tune. You will need an o2 to tune, best if tuned on a wideband unit. Spend the money on tuning. I just did a car with an AFC and 550's and it was simple. I used the afc to lean out the curve until 6000- then above that used it at 0% maybe 1, 2% above program. Great little piece for simple minded fuel control.

Fred_Allen_Burge
02-13-2002, 03:22 PM
Hey, jmcn sounds like you and me have a lot in common right now. I've got a 93 though. I really don't know anything about the necessary fuel system upgrades but I think I can do without it at low boost. Right or will I need bigger injectors, etc... too?

thanks
(lots to learn!) Allen

jmcn
02-13-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Greaser:

and very easy to tune. For low pressure that would be the way to go. You can get up to 300 hp out of 370cc injectors if the pressure is risen.

you may have to use the afc to lean out the curve if you put an FMU in it. Id say do it. Very inexpensive and easy to tune. You will need an o2 to tune, best if tuned on a wideband unit. Spend the money on tuning. I just did a car with an AFC and 550's and it was simple. I used the afc to lean out the curve until 6000- then above that used it at 0% maybe 1, 2% above program. Great little piece for simple minded fuel control.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Greaser, your wording confused me a little...do you mean a separate FMU in addition to the S-AFC, 370cc injectors and Z fuel pump is the best plan?

Or did you mean I can just run the injectors, fuel pump and S-AFC and skip on the FMU?

-Jeff

**DONOTDELETE**
02-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by jmcn:
Greaser, your wording confused me a little...do you mean a separate FMU in addition to the S-AFC, 370cc injectors and Z fuel pump is the best plan?

Or did you mean I can just run the injectors, fuel pump and S-AFC and skip on the FMU?

-Jeff[/QB]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I would use the FMU WITH the afc as a test. If its way to rich(which i doubt) just turn up the boost.

Duron Duncan is running 12psi with a FMU and 370s with a homemade turbo kit. Dont know what ecu though.

Fmax stage one kits use 370 injectors and i've personnaly seen my old KA kit put on as a stage one and pull 212rwhp @7psi

you dont HAVE to run the FMU. you could save yourself the money and only do the AFC and the 370s and see what happens. should be ok.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Greaser:

you may have to use the afc to lean out the curve if you put an FMU in it. Id say do it. Very inexpensive and easy to tune. You will need an o2 to tune, best if tuned on a wideband unit. Spend the money on tuning. I just did a car with an AFC and 550's and it was simple. I used the afc to lean out the curve until 6000- then above that used it at 0% maybe 1, 2% above program. Great little piece for simple minded fuel control.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Greaser-
C'mon! A JWT ECU will cost him $500.00 and the ignition and fuel will be as safe as you can be. Plug and play, plain and simple! He can easliy make 230-240 whp with the stock maf! He can get a used set of 370cc injectors for under $250.00 and a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump for $125.00. The ignition timing will be correct, all the fueling and have total fuel management that will be way safer than an FMU and an AFC!

Louis Anaya
APEX Motorsports

**DONOTDELETE**
02-13-2002, 04:20 PM
you know i've been trying to push recomendations like yours and you know i have full control in my car. People just dont want to hear it. They cant spend the 15,000 that i have on my car.

but they also cant run the times or the reliability that i do. BUT, his main concern was cost. Let us break down the cost of an afc and 370 injectors and Z32 mafs.

then breakdown the cost of the jwt setup. either way i dont care, its not my car. I was giving my opinion. And i'm tired of talking so great about electromotive and tuning cuz no one listens. they all want to go the cheap route, not the right route.

do not take my post as anything personal......our minds are too powerfull and complex to understand.

i'm mentally tired

S14GTR
02-13-2002, 04:25 PM
How much HP can you get out of the stock injector?

can I get something like 225 or it would be to boder-line...