PDA

View Full Version : Turbo smoking? Or something else...

boostedS13
08-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Here's the deal--

Fully rebuilt CA18DET motor. Excellent compression. Every single gasket/pump/seal is new. I put a used SR T25 on there to break the motor in. PCV system is all hooked up correctly. Here are the symptoms-

After the motor warms up (about 3-4mins) whitish smoke starts to come out the exhaust. Once I start driving, the smoke goes away. In other words, it only happens at idle when there is no load on the motor. There is some severe axial shaft play on the turbo and I can literally hear the turbine blades scraping the housing. In and out play really isn't bad at all. In my past experience, when my turbo blew it smoked constantly. A local turbo rebuild shop said that my symptoms are possible. Just wanted the FA take on it. I know I don't post much on here, but as you can see by my reg date, I'm one hell of a lurker :)

2slow240sx
08-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Rule of thumb is that if you can push the compressor wheel to one side and make the fins touch the housing, it's time for a rebuild.

That being said, if you can hear the blades making contact, get rid of that junker FAST (or get it rebuilt).

boostedS13
08-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Rule of thumb is that if you can push the compressor wheel to one side and make the fins touch the housing, it's time for a rebuild.

That being said, if you can hear the blades making contact, get rid of that junker FAST (or get it rebuilt).
I'm ordering an S15 T28 on Monday... The car isn't even driving at the moment as I was dealing with another issue (that has since been fixed). I know the turbo is trashed, it is mostly the smoke that had me curious. Thinking there may be an underlying issue aside from the turbo.

2slow240sx
08-08-2006, 09:30 PM
You won't know until you replace what you know for sure is bad.

boostedS13
08-08-2006, 09:40 PM
You won't know until you replace what you know for sure is bad.
True... if I replace the turbo and it still does it then I guess I have another problem, don't I? ;)

smithers584
08-10-2006, 04:16 AM
turbo seals FTMFW! you dumping a little oil into your exhaust, car warms up enough to burn oil=smoke out the back! I had the same problem on my car, swapped motors after i blew the first one and kept the same turbo, same problem, so, turbo seals.

detroadster
08-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Yup, crappy ass T25 seals, for sure. My S15 T28 cured the problem. Yours will too!

boostedS13
08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Yup, crappy ass T25 seals, for sure. My S15 T28 cured the problem. Yours will too!
LOL, I will order it on Monday so hopefully it will come in time for me to install it next weekend.

boostedS13
09-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Well, just an update. The T28 is now in and the smoking problem has been solved! No more embarassment...

robthechef
09-16-2006, 11:17 PM
I had a oil drain issue that when my car was at idle and the oil pressure was low the oil would back up in the turbo and I would smoke, then I would drive, the oil would slosh somewhere else and I was fine. the seals were fine, I just installed an oil cooler and dropped the level of my oil a bit. but my money is on the turbo seals.

s13guy
09-21-2006, 03:20 AM
I running into the same problem as well, but I'm using a T3/T4 Turbo with full-race manifold and have been using this turbo for 5 years. It would do the same thing with white smoke, but when I give it some gas at idle a puff of blue smoke would come out too. But when driving seems fine. Feels like I lost power a bit too, I can feel it.

Some say it's the oil getting into the rings or my turbo, turbo seals etc. On my Power FC everything seems to be working fine, motor doesn't feel unsteady. Rebuild motor or new turbo? Any idea?

s13guy
09-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Any help guys appreciated.

detroadster
09-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Rebuild motor or new turbo?

Well, rebuilding or replacing the turbo is going to be a lot easier than rebuilding or replacing the engine. I'd start with the turbo and hope that's the problem. Pull the piping off the turbo and look for obvious signs of damage or oil leaking. See if you have shaft play.

Have you done a compression or leak-down test on the engine? You need to do as much diagnosis as possible here before blindly tearing into the engine!