PDA

View Full Version : weird smell coming from my car........

SimpleS14
02-15-2002, 08:14 PM
My car '95 has 133K miles on it, so I know the engine has been through alot. But lately when ever I rev up my engine or step on the gas and start to speed I have notice a smell coming from my engine. This only happens when I putting some work on my engine. Right now I'm guess its buring oil but I not to sure. Does anyone know what I'm talking? If so, what can I do about this?

TIA

mmmm_beer
02-15-2002, 08:22 PM
oil smell from blow-by maybe?

mrmephistopheles
02-15-2002, 08:26 PM
Did you have taco bell for lunch?

Please describe the smell more accurately along with the exact location you think it's coming from... i.e engine bay, exhaust, interior
and rubbery, gassy, etc

Kevin

lenso
02-15-2002, 08:33 PM
it could be your cat. i used to have the same problem, then i got a new cat and the smell is no more. The only smell i have is the smell of water soaked fabric. I have a leak somewhere...most likely i have a clog in my sunroof drainage or something.

mmmm_beer
02-15-2002, 09:20 PM
Mary Jane Rottencrotch? http://www.freshalloy.com/

http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2002, 10:10 AM
I also have a strange smell coming from my car every so often. It started once i got the Injen Intake's CAI installed. It almost smells like a dead animal. Kinda like a wet Absorber (a shammy cloth that smells really bad but works wonders).

240sxer
02-16-2002, 02:18 PM
i have a 95 with 126k the smell from my engine is my clutch :[

Hollywood
02-16-2002, 07:23 PM
Could be oil cooking on your engine somewhere...that's why it happends when u work it, thats when your egine is the hottest, but depends on the smell.

SimpleS14
02-16-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood:
Could be oil cooking on your engine somewhere...that's why it happends when u work it, thats when your egine is the hottest, but depends on the smell.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I think your right cause I only smell it when i work my engine and when its hot. It never happens from a cold start. As for the small its kinda like wet fur with a side of burnt toast. It not strong but I can still smell something coming from behind the center console (I think). I never had the chance to sniff my car around while going 80 on the highway and I never intend to since thats my life right there.

02-16-2002, 09:25 PM
Don't know about wet fur and toast, but is it a "Hmm, what's that smell", or a "Ewww, what's that smell!?!" If it's "Ewww", then that would probably be your clutch. Doncha' just love the scientific method?

Hollywood
02-16-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by GTspecR:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by Hollywood:
Could be oil cooking on your engine somewhere...that's why it happends when u work it, thats when your egine is the hottest, but depends on the smell.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I think your right cause I only smell it when i work my engine and when its hot. It never happens from a cold start. As for the small its kinda like wet fur with a side of burnt toast. It not strong but I can still smell something coming from behind the center console (I think). I never had the chance to sniff my car around while going 80 on the highway and I never intend to since thats my life right there.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Try this..when u work the engine and it starts to smell turn on the heater on full and see if the smell fills the cabin more.

KenFuji
02-16-2002, 11:03 PM
could be tranny oil. my rubber boot was worn and the crude oil smell will seep through from time to time.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-17-2002, 06:17 AM
I too have a gassy smell, like exhaust, so i am really thinking my car is toast, the car has 167,000 miles so the cat is probably toast. Only comes in the cab when i am at stop..

SimpleS14
02-17-2002, 08:53 AM
I turned on my heater and the smell did fell up the cabin. Its not like "Ewww....what's that smell?" , its more like "Huh....Is it me or do I smell something?". My car is an auto so its not clutch related. I could be my tranny oil or my cat since my heat sheild is loose. I really need to take that thing off.

So my best solution would be to change my cat and check up on my tranny?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-17-2002, 09:33 AM
The smell is probably burning oil on your cat or exhaust pipes. When you jack up the front of your car to work on it, any leaking oil will run down your exhuast pipes and burn off when the engine gets hot...that might be why it smells like it's coming from the center console. Also, any crap you get on your exhaust manifold (oil, etc.) while you're under the hood will burn off and smell-usually smoke too. Check under your car and make sure there aren't any major oil leaks. If there are, get em fixed. In the meantime just rag off any leaky oil under your car after you work on it.

SimpleS14
02-17-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by SuperHicaS13:
The smell is probably burning oil on your cat or exhaust pipes. When you jack up the front of your car to work on it, any leaking oil will run down your exhuast pipes and burn off when the engine gets hot...that might be why it smells like it's coming from the center console. Also, any crap you get on your exhaust manifold (oil, etc.) while you're under the hood will burn off and smell-usually smoke too. Check under your car and make sure there aren't any major oil leaks. If there are, get em fixed. In the meantime just rag off any leaky oil under your car after you work on it.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Thanks for the info, it sounds very good. I'll check that out and try to get that heat shield off, when the weather get better out here.