PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove rounded off nut?

In_DET
08-31-2006, 11:01 PM
I picked up a set of sturt tower braces and was planning to install them tonight. I go to remove the nuts that hold my coilovers to the strut tower and one of them round off. I'm talking no edges here, totally round. I have a replacement nut so I decided to attempt to remove the old one using vice grips. IT CONTINUES to round! I'm using Vice Grip brand vice grips with nice sharp jaws, clamped down as tight as I can get them, and they're just shredding the nut.

I don't want to destroy the threads of my coilover stud so I'm afraid to keep trying at it with the vice grips. Whats the best way for me to remove this nut? Anyone have experience with any specialty tools?

Subliminal240
08-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Bolt extractors from sears.

jetdriver
08-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Hammer with a sharp chisel. Strike the nut on a tangent to loosen.

statik
08-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Hammer with a sharp chisel. Strike the nut on a tangent to loosen.

Sounds like your best bet. I dont see how bolt extractors are going to work considering its a stud and he needs to take the nut off...

samplesurf
08-31-2006, 11:48 PM
also another thing u can do if u have an air compressor is use an air hammer, we use this method to remove round wheel locks off of cars

chunk
09-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Sears sells a nut remover kit... They look like sockets with sharp teeth on the inside that thread/bite into the nut when you turn CCW. You could also try a nut splitter.

wizdom240
09-01-2006, 02:39 AM
It would also help if you soak it with liquid wrench before going at it.

orion
09-01-2006, 08:06 AM
This is NOT 240SX related, and NOT advanced.

Since it's been answered, I'm just going to lock it.

- Brian