PDA

View Full Version : Should I use a fuel additive?

Natty
02-21-2002, 05:46 PM
My 1991 Fastback LE is getting way up there in mileage, 146,000 miles. I use 89 gas from Texaco. Should I also dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner or any other additive "fix in a bottle" every oil change? Or maybe step up to 93 octane?
How about oil additives? Or any other additives?
Thanks,
Jeff

Are you guys gonna make me newbie of the week yet http://www.freshalloy.com/

MiamiGrinch240
02-21-2002, 10:57 PM
The older the car the better you have to take care of the engine. I am not sure whether to go all out spending lots of money every time but definately change oil every 3k and put in some fuel injector cleaner once a month on an empty tank right before a fill up. Also I heard something about changing all the spark plugs and stuff after a car hits 100,000 miles. Maybe you already did. Hopefully someone with a 100,000 plus engine can help you better this is all I know. Hope it helped.

gforce240sx
02-22-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by MiamiGrinch240:
The older the car the better you have to take care of the engine. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I got about 163k on the orginal motor and drag race it once in awhile and the car see 5k+ rpm weekly. I don't use any oil/fuel additive. Always put mobile 1 syntheic and 91 (highest I can get at local gas station). Don't really have much problems with the car. Did run into idle problem, but fix it by cleaning the AAC. Just stick to your normal tune-up. I would look into a new fuel filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor if it hasn't been change in awhile.

I stay away from Texaco, mainly I got bad gas from them once.

Danny.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-22-2002, 04:16 PM
i've got 190,000 miles on my '89 and she's still goin strong.

religously change your oil every 3,000 miles. (i don't use oil additives). just pick good oil. IMO mobil 1 is the best.

as far as gasoline goes, switch to a higher octane. use injector cleaner every 3,000 miles. (i think once a month is kinda exessive)

don't cut any corners when it comes to maintenance and she'll last a long time.

Originally posted by Natty:

Are you guys gonna make me newbie of the week yet http://www.freshalloy.com/ <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]you got my vote! http://www.freshalloy.com/

WarpFlyght
02-22-2002, 09:42 PM
I use 93 Octane gas in my '91 Fastback (146,000mi on the odometer), as well as fuel injector cleaner around every 3,000mi. Oil changes are a must. I've heard good things about Mobil 1, but I like Valvoline Synthetic.

97KAT
02-23-2002, 05:11 AM
I might be wrong but if I remember correctly my Nissan owners manual recommends against intank fuel injecter cleaners.

For oil info see this thread:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=007069

[ 02-23-2002, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: 1997 240 sx se ]

1500cc
02-23-2002, 05:18 AM
I'd say go with the higher octane gas, and also look into a fuel injector cleaning. You can clean the injector 3 ways.
1. removing them and sending them out to get done.
2. adding an additive to the gas tank.
3. getting an in car fuel injector cleaning

I've done #3 twice, and it's the most cost effective. Since I worked at Pep Boys, I got it for free, but it's a $60 job. What they do is disconnect the line after the fuel filter, remove the fuel pump fuse, then screw in an adapter with a fuel line to a can of cleaner and then start the car. The car runs off the can for about 15min. and that's about the only additive I'd ever add. I'm sorry but I don't trust anything but gas going through the fuel pump and filter.

neurovish
02-23-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Natty:
My 1991 Fastback LE is getting way up there in mileage, 146,000 miles. I use 89 gas from Texaco. Should I also dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner or any other additive "fix in a bottle" every oil change? Or maybe step up to 93 octane?
How about oil additives? Or any other additives?
Thanks,
Jeff

Are you guys gonna make me newbie of the week yet http://www.freshalloy.com/ <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]never use an oil additive, they end up doing more harm than good in the long run...stick with a good oil and filter combination (I could be a posterboy for mobil 1 myself) and change your oil at 3k

**DONOTDELETE**
02-23-2002, 10:07 AM
Hey Natty, I run the cheapest gas I can find (87?). I tried 91 once and found it made no difference in either mileage or how the car ran. I did just switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic this week, so we'll see how that goes.

Oliver
90 SE

TitaniusMaximus
02-23-2002, 02:15 PM
I, too, am against fuel additive fuel system cleaners... my car had 105k miles on it and I decided to use a bottle of chevron techron, and the car started to die at random stops and also idled funny... so I went to my shop and they resetted the ECU and everything was fine... so the only thing that made the ECU trip out like that was the fuel additive... now I just use good gas like Shell, Chevron, or Union 76...

Tae

**DONOTDELETE**
02-23-2002, 02:33 PM
and I read that using a synthetic on a car/truck that has always previously used regular oild can be BAD.. I.E. making vlaves leaketc etc.. but if not Ill try it on my next change.. my truck has 130k now and its got an annoying tick I cant get rid of (sounds like a lifter)[/QB]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]if you're hesitant about using synthetic right away, try a synthetic blend first, and switch to full synthetic later.

97KAT
02-23-2002, 03:20 PM
I did remember correctly, Nissan say:(9-3 97' owners manual):

"Aftermarket fuel additives

Nissan does not recommend the use of any fuel additives (i.e. fuel injector cleaner, octane booster, intake valve deposit
removers, ect.) which are sold commercially. Many of these additives are intended for gum, varnish or deposit removal may
contain active solvent or similar ingredients that can be harm fuel system and engine."

They had this to say about oil additives:(9-5 97' owners manual):

"Oil Additives

Nissan does not recommend the use of oil additives. The use of oil additives is not necessary when the proper oil type is used
and maintenance intervals are followed. "

Wobble
02-23-2002, 07:52 PM
The use of oil additives is not necessary when the proper oil type is used
and maintenance intervals are followed. "

obviousley.. but for those of us who get a car/truck that has 80k already on it and has not been treated as prestine as nissan recommends.. well they can sometimes be a cheaper alternative to help reverse some of the neglect.. aside from the ovbiousley more expensive massive tuneups etc etc.

S14GTR
02-24-2002, 12:06 AM
I just changed my oil....I always go for Mobil 1 Synthetic + OEM Nissan oil filter + I also clean my cone air filter at the same time, every 3000 to 3500 Miles

Wobble
02-24-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by CanuckPal:
Hey Natty, I run the cheapest gas I can find (87?). I tried 91 once and found it made no difference in either mileage or how the car ran. I did just switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic this week, so we'll see how that goes.

Oliver
90 SE<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]You have to run a tank or 2 through it before you notice any advantages.. the computer has to *learn* how to use the better gas...

and I read that using a synthetic on a car/truck that has always previously used regular oild can be BAD.. I.E. making vlaves leaketc etc.. but if not Ill try it on my next change.. my truck has 130k now and its got an annoying tick I cant get rid of (sounds like a lifter)