PDA

View Full Version : Help Engine wont turn off!

rs4race
11-07-2006, 09:55 PM
If you read my previous post. I had a problem with my engine not starting. I found it was a bad ecu. I have just replaced it and put my daughterboard in it. It starts fine but now it wont turn off when I take out the key.

So there are no blown fuses. I have a s13 blacktop sr20det and I just swapped an e5 ecu into it, but this one has a led in the ecu and my old one didnt. Is it diffrent? Do i need to change some pins? I beleive my old one was an e5 but im not sure i didnt have the cover with the sticker on it to check.

The e-brake light, oil pressure light, and battery light will stay on if I turn the ignition on and then turn it off. All the lights before menchioned lights will turn off with the engine running. The e-brake light wont turn on while the car is running and therefore after I take my key out the turbo timer will just shut off with the key.

When I remove the key to kill the car it stays running. Removing the egi relay does nothing, but it will die if I kill the engine either by removing the fuel pump relay or stalling it. Then the ebrake light, oil pressure light, and battery light will turn back on. The only way to kill those is to unplug the battery, They will stay off until I move the key to the on postition. Also when I remove my key all the accesories turn off like normal.

I dont know if its related but the ecu light is on constantly. My old ecu didnt have a light so i dont know if this means something. I also checked to see if the lights would stay on with the ecu not connected and they turn off when the key is removed.

Someone help me out. This is bugging me I dont want to kill my car driving around.

I will check with my brothers ecu to see if its my ecu or if its something with my wiring..

Help me out what do i look for???

sohc4now
11-07-2006, 10:27 PM
you swapped your old daughter board in it. possible problem. car stays running due to fact of alternator. turbo timer? possible malfuntion. or ign. assembly.

Kingtal0n
11-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Brown wire in your harness by the battery tray probably runs to the wrong place. cut it to find out.

Otherwise, your diode trio in the alternator is bad and allowing A/C current to pass into the car or continue chargeing through the field wire in the alternator. Normally there is a resistor or a light bulb used as a resistor in your dashboard to prevent this, try finding and cutting your brown wire first though.

rs4race
11-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Update. I went back out and looked into this again. I thought it might have been a bad connection on the daughterboard.... So i resoldered everything. I went back out and turned the car on and cranked it without the ecu in. The dash lights and everything turned off. So I replaced the ecu and tried it again. I turn it on with the key and then back off. and the dash lights go off... I was confusing my heads up and boost gauge (gets power from ecu) with the dash lights. The ecu stays on though and everything connected to the ecu will stay on aswell. once i unplug the battery it will turn off.

So there is something with the wiring or something on my ecu. what can it be???

rs4race
11-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Well I tried it in my bros car and it has the same problem as in mine. So its the ecu. Anybody know how to repair it?

rs4race
11-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Ok so i found the problem. So if you have this problem with your ecu you might want to check this peice. I beleive its a diode. I swapped the one off of my old ecu onto my new one and blammo it works perfect now.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/rs4race/ecubroken.jpg

slideways2004
11-09-2006, 06:14 PM
good work. i like when problems are easy to fix the user actually finds them. blammo!!

knate
11-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Ok so i found the problem. So if you have this problem with your ecu you might want to check this peice. I beleive its a diode. I swapped the one off of my old ecu onto my new one and blammo it works perfect now.

Nice work! How did you determine it was that diode? Look burnt? Check resistances?

rs4race
11-10-2006, 01:00 AM
It looked kinda burnt. The metal legs that come out of it were discolored. I donno how to check it but i think its only supposed to let power through one way. I think this might have been open both ways. Im not really sure but mine works now, and if someone has the same problem they might want to check this piece.

Might want to look up how to check a diode aswell.