PDA

View Full Version : need new rear rotors...300zx?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2002, 08:14 PM
Just found out my rear brakes need new rotors. Should I go with a z32 upgrade? IF I do, is that something my mechanic can just rig up? I don't have the time or place to do it as I live at an apartment complex. Also, how easy is it to find the parts? Where...junkyard?

projectsilvia
02-25-2002, 09:32 PM
i have the 300zx rear rotors and calipers for sale, dont have the dust shield.

orion
02-25-2002, 09:42 PM
It really balances the braking...if you can live with no e-brake. I wound up with Z32 brakes on the rear of my S14 b/c of a frozen caliper...and I have no regrets.

Later - Brian

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2002, 10:52 PM
projectsilvia...I may be very interested in buying those...is the dust shield necessary? My email address is UArizona240sx@hotmail.com. What about the installation? Anyone have any info on that?

thanx http://www.freshalloy.com/

by the way...the e brake is totally eliminated? What about parking and such? Slip it into first?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2002, 10:52 PM
this is a pretty dumb question but dont you need the ebrake? do you just leave it in gear once you are parked? seems annoying not to be able to leave the car running in your driveway for the fear it may roll onto the road... how would you avoid that?

KenFuji
02-25-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by UArizona240sx:
by the way...the e brake is totally eliminated? What about parking and such? Slip it into first?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]not totally safe and a real pain in the a$$ with a turbo timer. i hope a turbo timer is on your list of mods along with your turbo. that was the first thing i got on my car.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2002, 11:29 PM
are you saying that the brakes are a pain or the absence of an e brake is a pain with the turbo timer? I don't follow you here...Do you have the break upgrade?

KenFuji
02-25-2002, 11:41 PM
let's say your parked on a slightly inclined or declined parking spot, you've just raced through the highway and the timer reads 4mins and 30 secs for the turbo to cool down. you can't keep it in first and leave because your engine will stall. with out a e-brake you have two options. turn off your timer and shut down your car and let the turbo burn or sit in the car until the turbo cools as you burn up in the az heat http://www.freshalloy.com/ either way..... it's bad. i would say go for the rear brake upgrade if your willing to go through that of really want to pioneer the e-brake issue and become a 240sx hero. as for brake upgrade all i have is my fully rebuilt z32 front calipars w/ brembo rotors sitting on my desk waiting for a nice set of wheels. i know it will fit in my current 15's, but i feel it needs better ventilation from a larger wheel. slotted rotors and metallic brake pads will do more then enough for weekend scca and raodracers.
ken

ps. those project mu pads from projectsilvia are also great. i would use those in the rear with regular metallic pads on the z32's up front if braking balance is your concern.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-26-2002, 01:16 AM
good point...so there aren't any rear brake modifications outside of pads that won't affect the e-brake? How much bigger are the Z32 rotors than the stock 240's? I've never thought about brakes that much until now.

-mike http://www.freshalloy.com/

KenFuji
02-26-2002, 02:13 AM
i'm aware of people in japan putting on r32 brakes with e-brakes. i don't know if anyone here is still trying to figure it out. but with a z32 front w/ slotted rotors and metallic pads, and stock rear w/slotted rotors w/ebc or project mu pads will be more then what your tires can handle. you'll also need nice stickies to take advantage of these brake upgrades

ken