PDA

View Full Version : Going to Dyno my SR this Weekend? Any words of advice?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-27-2002, 11:47 AM
I'm going to dyno my S13 SR with the following mods this weekend:

T3/T4
FMIC
3" downpipe and exhaust system
Manual boost controller set at 10 psi
Gauges: EGT, Boost, A/F
SDS standalone computer
Everything else pretty much stock.

I have never been to the dyno before. I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice on how I should go about do this. I am not very knowledgable in tuning cars so I'm bring alot a friend who will be helping me out. If somebody could advice a newbie like me with things like

1) which gear to dyno in? 4th?
2) add fuel, compare to baseline and then adjust according?
3) would A/F be helpful or should I pay more attention to the EGT?
4) I booked a 2 hour slot at the dyno shop and was wondering how many passes is maximum before I start damaging the engine.
5) How long should I wait in-between passes?

and anything else that you can think of that might help me tune my SR. If anybody out there have any good 1 bar fuel values mapped out already, I would love to have a look at it. Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

Tom
S13 SR

'97 S14 SE Turbo
02-27-2002, 11:51 AM
Bring bags of ice to fight heat soaking of the I/C.

Don't worry about numbers of pull causing extra damage. Same amount of damage as doing runs on the street without the legal speeding issue.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-27-2002, 11:58 AM
dont waste your dyno money unless you are going out there to fine tune. Learn the SDS first

a/f's on a 10psi setup should be around 12.5:1 for modest hp. Anything richer will reduce power production. Anything leaner will produce higher power but hotter gases for higher EGT's

keep the EGTs' under 1600f

pulls should be done in 4th with the 240 its a 1.o:1 ratio

wait 10-20 mins between each pull.

expect around 250hp maybe lower.

ADAM HUTCHINSON
02-27-2002, 11:58 AM
make sure you use a tailpipe air fuel ratio meter....

**DONOTDELETE**
02-28-2002, 12:03 AM
I have the A/F on the downpipe, right after the turbine. Is it more effective having the A/F at the tailpipe?

Tom
S13 SR

**DONOTDELETE**
02-28-2002, 12:06 AM
no ......

he's talking about a wideband O2 sensor. Either a tailpipe sniffer or one that goes into the downpipe will work fine.