PDA

View Full Version : Question about instrument panel (S13)

SOHC240
02-28-2002, 07:57 PM
Can anyone help me out here? My question is are the guages and the needles lit up by the same bulbs? Is it just the larger size bulbs that are responsible for the backlighting?

Thanks,
Marshall

BioSehnsucht
02-28-2002, 08:12 PM
I've got my old cluster right here, from my 89..

looks like the backlighting is from 3 larger in the middle, and the 2 in the corners (same size, diff color ??) .. the three centers have blue caps, the 2 corners don't, they're the same size bulbs tho...

the other lights are all either for signals or status lights.. and one for the clock..

AZ_Dave
02-28-2002, 08:13 PM
I'm pretty sure. There should be 3 large bulbs w/ a blue plastic cover on them. I think the needle is made of some fiberoptic plastic that soaks up the light well.

Could be wrong, but that's what it looks like after I inspected my old cluster.

Dave

BioSehnsucht
02-28-2002, 08:22 PM
hahah just today I was thinking "hey, I could try to use my old cluster and hack some @#*^ together.."

things I'm thinking of trying to figure out..

make a conversion circuit that takes the ECU's temp sensor's signal and outputs the correct voltage to make the stock gauge accurate (if possible)

other stuff I've forgot / is to vague / doesn't at the moment make sense.

AZ_Dave
02-28-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by BioSehnsucht:

make a conversion circuit that takes the ECU's temp sensor's signal and outputs the correct voltage to make the stock gauge accurate (if possible)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]You could use three 7-segment dispays, and output the actual temp...with a little circuitry. Now THAT would be cool.
Dave

BioSehnsucht
02-28-2002, 08:45 PM
haha, thats what a dedicated gauge owuld be for.. I'd like to hijack the stock one, then I can put if I need more accurate reading (i.e. actually marked) I can put that in say, the glove box, as it's not something you need a truely accurate reading for all the time.. or in fact make a LED display, but I'd still mount that elsewhere. I'd like to be able to have everything be somewhat stock looking.. now if I could make a custom gauge cluster housing and stuff, that'd be cool.. put in more real gauges, but I'd only do it if I could have it installed and look like it came like that (other than the fact that anyone who knows 240's would realize it can't be, but it looks it)

BioSehnsucht
02-28-2002, 11:25 PM
damn. after scientific experimentation (hooking up a pot, laptop power supply, and the old temp gauge) I discover..

yes, it is only basicly a 3 position switch.

as I slowly turn the pot up, at one point it suddenly jumps to the 'normal' position.. if I keep going it eventually jumps to the H position.. below the H level, it drops back to the normal.. and below that back to C..

darn. maybe I'll try to disassemble the temp gauge itself and figure out what causes it to behave so.

edit:

Damn, guess maybe I won't. I'd have to desolder a bunch of crap to take it apart, that's not worth it..

hrm.. *contemplating a digital readout that would fit in stock place and provide a quasi-stock appearance.. *

[ 02-28-2002, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: BioSehnsucht ]