PDA

View Full Version : Lug stud problems...suggestions please...

lestat
01-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Actually from S15x'edS13 (forgot to re-login under my profile....ooops)
I am currently helping a 240 owner with some corrective action. Unfortunately we have run into a problem.

The lug stud splines are stripped on the front left hub. The holes are nut stripped all the way through, the wheel side of the hub is still fine, but a lug (from PepBoys) pulled all the way into the hub will not seat. (Replacement of 2 lug studs is necessary because the threads are screwed. We pounded out the old studs, and found that they had been tack welded in place).

Does anyone have any inventive ideas on how to overcome this problem?

We would really like to fix this tomorrow. As everyone knows, the dealership part departments are closed on Sundays (not that they would have a new hub in stock anyways) and the hub is a dealer only part.

The only thing that I have come up with is to find a 12mm x 1.25 stud that has a longer spline, but that might be a difficult task. We don't have a welder to tack them in place as the previous owner had done.

All other suggestions welcome.

Thanks FA

Shift_Mike
01-06-2007, 10:49 PM
well, i would say put the stud in place, and then tac weld it back into place like you found it.

if you dont have access to a welder then i think if i was in your situation i would get some of the two part epoxy mix, put that on the splines that are there pull the stud through then put the wheel on the studs and tighten down the lugs. It will hold fine i think, or atleast get you by until you can get the car to a welder and tack the studs back in place.

lestat
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
We kind of though of the same thing, but had our doubts about it. If it comes to it, we might try it.

The downside of this is that if, after it is torqued down, when removing the wheel, the epoxy breaks loose, it will be extremely difficult to get the lug nut off the stud, then we are really screwed.

Shift_Mike
01-07-2007, 08:17 AM
no, dont put epoxy on the threads of the stud, just the splines.

if some does accidently get on the threads no big deal ir2135 ftw.

just use the epoxy to hold it in place till you can weld it.

S15xedS13
01-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Update:

We were fortunate enough to find a salvage yard that was open today (Sunday). We found a total of 3 240's, the first two the front ends were completely stripped, the 3rd had the front hub assemblies, so we were golden. We also replaced the fuel door catch and a sway bar end link. The replacemetn parts came to jsut a touch under $20.

FYI, the OEM studs have spline engagement through the hub, whereas the PepBoys specials do not.

Thanks FA for the help

lestat
01-09-2007, 04:51 PM
And thank you to S15xedS13 for driving from San Diego to Fresno to help me work on my car. You are the man!:bowdown:

cardriver
01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
^^^damn thats dope.

S15xedS13
01-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Always there for fellow 240 owners.

lestat
01-10-2007, 01:49 PM
In that case... What are you doing this weekend? haha. Just kidding!