PDA

View Full Version : Question on Cams, how will they idle?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-01-2002, 02:00 PM
Ok, I have this posted on another forum, but have not gotten a response, so here goes nothing:
Will cams with the following specs still idle smoothly, or will they idle rough?
270intake/270 exhaust degree with 12.5 duration

They are for an S14 SR20DET.

I hear mixed things about cams with those specs, but I'm thinking about buying them anyways. They need to be streetable. Thanks in advance for your help.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Nobody? I honestly think that they'll be fine, so if I don't get a response, I'm going to get them.

03-01-2002, 04:32 PM
That's a fairly long duration...you'll probably have at least a little lope at idle. Get an adjustable cam gear, too (for the exhaust cam...can't use one on the intake cam unless you get rid of VTC), maybe you can decrease the overlap a little to smooth out the idle.

BTW, JWT's "street" cams (The S3 and S4) have 260 and 264 degree durations, respectively, and are both supposed to have a fairly smooth idle. But the amount of overlap is key to idle quality. Low overlap is good for idle, and it's good for a turbo car as well (less overlap means less fresh air and fuel get forced out the exhaust port during the overlap period).

Asad

[ 03-01-2002, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: asad137 ]

**DONOTDELETE**
03-01-2002, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I figured that they might have slight idle problems, but nothing that couldn't be drivable or even fixed with the right tuning. Thanks for the response though.