PDA

View Full Version : how to remove brake caliper pistons

spbuster77
01-15-2007, 01:40 PM
I am having my calipers powder coated next week and the shop that is doing them tells me that I must remove the pistons in order for them to do this. I took at look at my caliper and can't have any idea how to take them out and to re-assemble them.

I've heard from a friend that I can use compressed air to force them out but not entire sure if thats true. So the question of the day, what is the best way to disassemble the pistons and then to re-assemble them once they are fully powder coated.

gunluvS14
01-15-2007, 01:50 PM
yeah, place a small piece of wood in between, and find a fitting that you can attach compress air into, and WATCH YOUR FINGERS

janders211
01-15-2007, 01:53 PM
how thick/thin does the wood have to be to allow the pistons to come all the way out?

gunluvS14
01-15-2007, 03:04 PM
its all judgmental, the wood is there to shield the impact. Once the pistons pop out, you can take out the wodd and slide the sucker out.

cosmoworks
01-15-2007, 03:37 PM
It can be pretty thick because you don't have the brake pads in there afterall. The wood is just to keep the pistons from popping out and damaging each other. I've used several terry cloths between the pistons before instead of wood myself. But like gunluvS14 said, keep your fingers clear!

-Cosmo

spbuster77
01-15-2007, 04:04 PM
when it comes to re-assembly are there any seals i should be replacing or is it as easy as just sticking the piston back in.

cosmoworks
01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
There's a dustboot and o-ring on each piston. It's a good idea to put new seals in while you have it apart. Nissan sells the o-rings/dustboots/c-clips as a kit.

The pistons just pop back in, but you'll need to lube the o-ring seal during re-assembly. If you get the Nissan rebuild kit, it comes with lube or you can also use the green Permatex brake lube.

-Cosmo

spbuster77
01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Don't suppose anyone knows the part number for the S13 brakes, just the 89-90 front and rear kit that would be lol. I know it can't be hard to find for the common nissan parts guys but our local guy won't get off his lazy ass to find anything unless you got the part number. Wish they would hire people with some brains some day.

roycenagger
01-16-2007, 04:54 AM
You can find it for yourself here:
http://carfiche.com/fiche009/s13/

-Royce

Doluck
01-16-2007, 06:19 AM
I have always used shop rags...... cram about five in the caliper, turn it over so the caliper is its own cage.. place a few more rags over it and blow with blower... make sure the bleeder is in place..you will hear the piston pop... change the inner seal and the dust boot. For best results use a real caliper lude (napa) if not then use alot of brake fluid.... push piston as hard a you can with your hands, if it ubed good it should slide in .... if not use a piston pusher or a c camp! Word!