PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti Crossover Speculation...

UofMG35
01-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Just wanted to start a thread with everyone's speculation on this crossover. Here's some of my thoughts:

- won't be called CX due to Mazda CX-7 and CX-9
- built on FM platform... only logical platform choice for Infiniti
- V6 only, no 4 cylinder - there is currently no 4 cylinder with the FM platform, and no 4 cylinder for Infiniti since 2002 G20
- 5AT and 6MT from G35 sedan... at least I hope there will be a 6MT
- RWD and AWD models (obviously)
- priced about same as G35 sedan... starting in low $30K range

Jawad
01-23-2007, 10:28 PM
All fair points. I expect it to be called EX or AX.

psriniv
01-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Probably not EX - EX is more or less synonymous with Honda where they have used it to designate different levels in their line up.

AX sounds a possibility

KX - should be apt- killer X - hope it lives upto this.

I want a 7 seater on par with the MDX

montyz81
01-24-2007, 11:27 AM
http://www.nissannews.com/site_library/multimedia/concept2003/triant/144px/01triant.jpg http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/concept/2008/144px/Crossover_Concept_gesture.jpghttp://www.nissannews.com/site_library/multimedia/concept2003/triant/144px/02triant.jpg

I thought about this. I wonder if the new Crossover will have similar looks to the Triant. In the front it has a similar profile. The back might be changed.

I know this may not be the right one, but it I thought it wasn't far off.

Jawad
01-24-2007, 02:58 PM

You won't get that out of the new crossover SUV, as its supposed to compete against Acura RDX. You might, however, get a 7 seater out of the next generation FX.

UofMG35
01-24-2007, 04:58 PM
You won't get that out of the new crossover SUV, as its supposed to compete against Acura RDX. You might, however, get a 7 seater out of the next generation FX.

^+1

UofMG35
01-24-2007, 05:00 PM
http://www.nissannews.com/site_library/multimedia/concept2003/triant/144px/01triant.jpg http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/concept/2008/144px/Crossover_Concept_gesture.jpghttp://www.nissannews.com/site_library/multimedia/concept2003/triant/144px/02triant.jpg

I thought about this. I wonder if the new Crossover will have similar looks to the Triant. In the front it has a similar profile. The back might be changed.

I know this may not be the right one, but it I thought it wasn't far off.

It may have a similar profile, but of course the addition of rear doors would change the roof line a bit. I don't really like the front end of the Triant, but otherwise it's an interesting shape.

rich/minn
02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
I think the new crossover might be something like the new volvo c30, vw gti. If the crossover is around that size of the volvo c30, then it will come in less than the g35. If the new crossover is larger than the volvo c30, then it might be a 4 door version, of a car like the c30 and come in around the same price as a g35. There is a new trend for this hatchback coupe/wagon/suv sports car. It will be different than a bmw x3, which is more like a small suv. It will be sportier than a acura rdx. It will be interesting to see the concept at the New York Auto show, coming soon.

Jawad
02-01-2007, 06:21 PM
A Volvo C30/GTI are hot hatches, and about the size of Nissan Sentra or a bit bigger than Nissan Versa. A crossover is what a X3 is, or a small car based SUV, you choose.

Stew24
02-03-2007, 01:02 AM
I doubt what you are saying will ever be. The FX is supposed to be a performance SUV. What the hell would an FX look like hauling 7 d#mn people! If they ever do that, they'll never sell another one to me!

templarklimek
02-03-2007, 06:38 AM
My thoughts exactly. A sport suv not a grocery getter. I'm on my 2nd Fx and if it goes overweight. I'm done, i'll switch to the cayenne.

Not trying to start a flame war, but it would be a mistake IMO.

Jawad
02-03-2007, 08:23 AM
I doubt what you are saying will ever be. The FX is supposed to be a performance SUV. What the hell would an FX look like hauling 7 d#mn people! If they ever do that, they'll never sell another one to me!

Ok, once again, the new crossover will take FX's place. It'll perform the same, but will have a different name and will look different. It'll still be based on the G35, like the current FX is. The new FX will move up in size, like it or not. Its the way the market works and its how you keep up with the competition. Infiniti will not have two SUVs with same size, same price and different name.

PS> Read this review.

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/11555/preview-2007-acura-mdx.html

rich/minn
02-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Ok, once again, the new crossover will take FX's place. It'll perform the same, but will have a different name and will look different. It'll still be based on the G35, like the current FX is. The new FX will move up in size, like it or not. Its the way the market works and its how you keep up with the competition. Infiniti will not have two SUVs with same size, same price and different name.

PS> Read this review.

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/11555/preview-2007-acura-mdx.html

Jawad,
In your opinion, what aprx size do you think the new crossover will be. From the scetch, nissan/infiniti released, it seems small with 2 doors. But that doesn't make sense to me, if this car will replace the fx. Do you think it will have 4 doors? Do you think it will be around same size as acura rdx or bmw x3. There seems to be a new trend, with these elevated compact hatch backs. Do you think it will be more like a hatch back or a wagon. I think it would be cool, if it were a premium version of the new 4 door vw gti. But I doubt it will be anything like the gti, if it will be replacing the fx. Do you think there is any possibility for infiniti to have 2 engine choices. One with there 3.5 and another with a 4 cilinder turbo.

Jawad
02-03-2007, 06:36 PM
It'll be a crossover SUV, which means it'll be in the same line as the current FX, the new Acura RDX, BMW X3 etc. It should be around the same size as the new G35, and get the same drivetrain. I don't think they'll have a 4 cylinder option.

Again, its not replacing the FX, its an all new entry level, which means it'll slot below the FX, helping FX move up in price and size.

UofMG35
02-05-2007, 03:41 PM

The new BMW X5 seats 7, and it has improved performance also. It's just 2 extra seats, calm down.

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/12037/2007-bmw-x5.html

Infiniti driver
02-05-2007, 08:52 PM
2008 FX will increase in size and will have a third row. The new crossover will be based on a shortened FM platform. Overall length will be about 8"-10" shorter than the current FX. It will debut at the NY International Auto show in April. All 2008 models should be on showroom floors no later than August.

coolFX
02-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi Infiniti driver, thanks for the update about 2008 FX and new crossover. Where did you get this information? I would like to know more details. It would be nice if I can see some pictures. Thanks!

UofMG35
02-07-2007, 04:50 PM
All 2008 models should be on showroom floors no later than August.

Not true. Most new models don't arrive to dealers until September or October. And then there are late releases for new models, which could arrive to showrooms even later in the year.

da99
02-16-2007, 04:46 PM
2008 FX will increase in size and will have a third row. The new crossover will be based on a shortened FM platform. Overall length will be about 8"-10" shorter than the current FX. It will debut at the NY International Auto show in April. All 2008 models should be on showroom floors no later than August.

Interesting, that means you are looking at about 180-182 inches overall length (the current FX is 189.1 inches). At that length, we are talking about a "compact crossover" now. Keep in mind the upcoming Nissan Rogue has an overall length of 182 inches. If what you are saying is correct then we are looking at an Infiniti crossover that's about the same size as the Rogue only with a V-6 and a lot more sporty...... sounds like something I would buy!

da99
02-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I expect it to be called EX or AX.

It definitely won't be CX. A quick search of the U.S. Trademarks website shows Nissan abandoned the CX25 and CX35 names in October 2006, however Nissan still owns the trademarks for AX25 and AX35 and Nissan also owns the trademark for EX35. A search for EX25 turned up nothing.

Word Mark CX25
Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: motor vehicles, namely, cars, trucks, vans, sport utility vehicles, and parts therefor
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Design Search Code
Serial Number 78563024
Filing Date February 8, 2005
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition July 11, 2006
Owner (APPLICANT) Nissan Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha TA Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. KABUSHIKI KAISHA JAPAN No. 2 Takaracho, Kanagawa-ku Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa-ken JAPAN
Attorney of Record Rhea Caras
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date October 4, 2006

Word Mark CX35
Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: motor vehicles, namely, cars, trucks, vans, sport utility vehicles, and parts therefor
Design Search Code
Serial Number 78563031
Filing Date February 8, 2005
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition August 15, 2006
Owner (APPLICANT) Nissan Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha DBA Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. KABUSHIKI KAISHA JAPAN No. 2 Takaracho, Kanagawa-ku Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa-ken JAPAN
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date October 4, 2006

Word Mark AX25
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: motor vehicles, namely, automobiles, trucks, vans, sport utility vehicles and structural parts therefor
Design Search Code
Serial Number 76649094
Filing Date October 24, 2005
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition February 13, 2007
Owner (APPLICANT) NISSAN JIDOSHA KABUSHIKI KAISHA TA NISSAN MOTOR CO., LTD. CORPORATION JAPAN NO. 2 TAKARACHO KANAGAWA-KU YOKOHAMA-SHI KANAGAWA-KEN JAPAN
Prior Registrations 2079956;2896158;3046555;AND OTHERS
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Word Mark AX35
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: motor vehicles, namely, automobiles and structural parts therefor. FIRST USE: 20050913. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20050913
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Design Search Code
Serial Number 76370467
Filing Date February 11, 2002
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition July 23, 2002
Registration Number 3046555
Registration Date January 17, 2006
Owner (REGISTRANT) Nissan Judisha Kabushiki Kaisha TA Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. CORPORATION JAPAN Yokohama-Shi Kanagawa-Ken No. 2 Takaracho, Kanagawa-Ku JAPAN
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record Rhea Caras, Esq
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Word Mark EX35
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motor vehicles, namely automobiles, trucks, vans, sport utility vehicles and structural parts therefor
Design Search Code
Serial Number 78939253
Filing Date July 27, 2006
Current Filing Basis 1B;44D;44E
Original Filing Basis 1B;44D;44E
Owner (APPLICANT) Nissan Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha, also trading as Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. CORPORATION JAPAN No. 2 Takaracho, Kanagawa-ku Yokohama-shi JAPAN
Priority Date April 11, 2006
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

ZYAL8R808
02-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm getting tired of all this alpha-numeric crap going on with car "names". There are only so many letters and numbers and after awhile we won't know what's what. Infiniti should at least have a little fun and name something the BS35, the long awaited halo car for Infiniti.

What ever happened to good solid names like Edsel, Pinto and Gremlin.

:bowdown: Everybody bow down to the creative minds that gave such classic names for great cars. :D

da99
02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Infiniti should at least have a little fun and name something the BS35, the long awaited halo car for Infiniti.

A "halo car" with only a 3.5 engine? Come on now! They should put the biggest engine they got in this halo car. Ladies and Gentlemen... presenting the new Infiniti BS 56 and BS 60.

coolFX
02-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Here are some predictions about 2008 Infiniti SUV from CosumerGuide:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...nfiniti-fx.htm (http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2007-infiniti-fx.htm)
"Sources say the redesigned FX due for model-year 2008 will be slightly larger than today's offerings as Infiniti goes after the Mercedes R-Class and similar upscale "sport wagons." Other information is lacking now, but keep checking back here for late news.

Also due for 2008 is Infiniti's first compact SUV, a 5-passenger design aimed at the BMW X3 and Acura's new RDX. Known for now as simply X, it's said to be built on the same corporate platform as the FX, but will offer a 2.4-liter 4-cyl engine as well as a 3.5-liter V6. One or both powerplants will team with parent Nissan's Xtronic continuously variable automatic transmission. X will be available with rear drive or all-wheel drive. A hybrid-power version is being whispered, but timing is unclear. As '08 entries, both the X and redesigned FX should break cover early in the new year, either in full production trim or as thinly disguised concept models".

ZYAL8R808
02-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Why does Infiniti have to "go after" the Mercedes R-Class? That thing isn't even selling that well. That would also change the character of the FX from a sport SUV to a sport wagon, which in my opinion is lame. When they say sport wagon I think Dodge Magnum, Chrysler Pacifica and other boring crappy cars. I'd rather they continue to market the FX against the Touraeg, Cayenne, X5 and ML.

I think this report is bogus and full of speculation with no real validity.

da99
02-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Here are some predictions about 2008 Infiniti SUV from CosumerGuide:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...nfiniti-fx.htm (http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2007-infiniti-fx.htm)
"Sources say the redesigned FX due for model-year 2008 will be slightly larger than today's offerings as Infiniti goes after the Mercedes R-Class and similar upscale "sport wagons." Other information is lacking now, but keep checking back here for late news.

Also due for 2008 is Infiniti's first compact SUV, a 5-passenger design aimed at the BMW X3 and Acura's new RDX. Known for now as simply X, it's said to be built on the same corporate platform as the FX, but will offer a 2.4-liter 4-cyl engine as well as a 3.5-liter V6. One or both powerplants will team with parent Nissan's Xtronic continuously variable automatic transmission. X will be available with rear drive or all-wheel drive. A hybrid-power version is being whispered, but timing is unclear. As '08 entries, both the X and redesigned FX should break cover early in the new year, either in full production trim or as thinly disguised concept models".

I agree with ZYAL8R808 on this one. This report is crap and pure speculation. I can name at least one thing that indicates this right off the bat, this report says there will be a 2.4 liter 4 as a base engine for the new "X"... Nissan doesn't use a 2.4 liter 4, it's a 2.5, a legit report would have gotten that small fact correct and I highly doubt it's just a typo. Besides, I don't think Nissan will give any Infiniti, let alone this new model anything other then a V-6, no more 4 bangers for Infiniti (unless it's a turbo, but I don't for-see that happening either). Also, I also don't think Nissan/Infiniti is trying to chase the R-class and other "sport wagons" with the FX. Thats a bunch of garbage and it lessens the creditability of this report even more. The target for the FX has and always will be the X5, ML, Cayenne etc.

MrRyte
03-04-2007, 04:20 AM
... Nissan doesn't use a 2.4 liter 4, it's a 2.5, a legit report would have gotten that small fact correct and I highly doubt it's just a typo. Besides, I don't think Nissan will give any Infiniti, let alone this new model anything other then a V-6...
I'm willing to bet that Infiniti will bring over the VQ25HR, which is the smaller brother of the VQ35HR. Heck they might even put the 2.5 V6 in the G sedan as well.:auto:

da99
03-04-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm willing to bet that Infiniti will bring over the VQ25HR, which is the smaller brother of the VQ35HR. Heck they might even put the 2.5 V6 in the G sedan as well.:auto:

That would be interesting if they made such a move. I don't see them doing it unless they plan to use it in another vehicle as well (perhaps the G sedan as you say). Nissan/Infiniti is very cost conscious now and they wouldn't bring over the VQ25 for just one single use. We'll find out in about a month.

MrRyte
03-06-2007, 12:31 AM
That would be interesting if they made such a move. I don't see them doing it unless they plan to use it in another vehicle as well (perhaps the G sedan as you say). Nissan/Infiniti is very cost conscious now and they wouldn't bring over the VQ25 for just one single use. We'll find out in about a month.Actually, I should mention that over in Japan they already have the VQ25HR motor in the Skyline so If Infiniti decides to bring it over, it should be relatively easy. I personally would get the G25 an a heartbeat since I don't need to outaccelerate every other car on the road. I just want a nice comfy cruiser.:auto:

da99
03-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Just for the hell of it I did a search for G25 on the U.S. trademark website. I found that Nissan doesn't own the rights to G25. If they were coming out with a VQ25HR powered G model, I'd think they would attempt to secure the rights to that trademark by now. As for this new crossover, I'm leaning very strongly towards EX35 as the name for this new model.

4U4ME
03-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Actually, I should mention that over in Japan they already have the VQ25HR motor in the Skyline so If Infiniti decides to bring it over, it should be relatively easy. I personally would get the G25 an a heartbeat since I don't need to outaccelerate every other car on the road. I just want a nice comfy cruiser.:auto:
Infiniti should have the G25, so they can sell more people who is looking for more MPG.
If they are going to stick with VQ35HR is the base model for Infiniti, then Infiniti will have base Hp will jump into 306BHP, I don't how can thet help at all
its good to have one smaller V-6 ening than a 4banger

4U4ME
03-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Infiniti says its New York auto show stand will sport a pair of new vehicles–and one will be the Infiniti G37 Coupe, formerly the G35, which would seem to get an engine upgrade along with revamped style.
The other vehicle will be an EX Concept, likely a forerunner to the next range-topping Infiniti sedan (http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/#). Infiniti promises “technological features that are expected to make it to a production vehicle – for the first time ever – by the end of the year.”

from TCC

ZYAL8R808
03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
"Range-topping Infiniti sedan."

Are they just speculating or does this mean the EX is not going to be a new crossover SUV? Frankly, I would rather see a Q replacement before another crossover comes out.

Jawad
03-13-2007, 03:43 PM
They're smoking crack. Infiniti naming scheme gives it away. EX, just like FX and QX is an SUV.

psriniv
03-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I agree with jawad.

All infiniti SUV's have the suffix "X"

All of their sedans have only 1 alphabet.

So EX is definitely another SUV on the way. What exactly it is- the guessing game begins.

Jawad
03-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Its an SUV based on the new Infiniti G35, just like the FX was when it first came out. Only now, the EX will take place of FX and FX will move up in size of what the M is now to the G.

ZYAL8R808
03-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I just realized that Infiniti has already said themselves to be releasing a new crossover concept. The gave us that swoosh that really shows us nothing about it but confirms that it is going to be an SUV.

CROSSOVER
Infiniti today released a "gesture" of a new luxury crossover concept that will debut at the New York International Auto Show in April. The production version of this luxury crossover concept will hit Infiniti showrooms by the end of this year.

da99
03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Looks like those of guessing at the name EX were spot on with this one....

Infiniti driver
03-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Infiniti will release photo's on March 28, 2007 to all the major car magazines.

commonalias
04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Looks like a MURANO/G35/FX combo. On drugs. The EX is the new Infiniti red-headed step child. No originality - what a shame. As an FX owner, I'm thoroughly disappointed.

222Max
04-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Looks like a MURANO/G35/FX combo. On drugs. The EX is the new Infiniti red-headed step child. No originality - what a shame. As an FX owner, I'm thoroughly disappointed.

don't know why. You describe it exactly as it should look... the EX being the bridge between the G and the FX. It's only logical.

exbikerider
07-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Probably not EX - EX is more or less synonymous with Honda where they have used it to designate different levels in their line up.

AX sounds a possibility

KX - should be apt- killer X - hope it lives upto this.

My Kia Sorent is an EX.

Stop laughing, I had to make up for having a G35 coupe.