PDA

View Full Version : Heat shield....

dr2if4ta0sx
03-03-2002, 08:34 PM
Man the heat shield is a B**** to take out... i tried everything and it still wont budge... Anyone got any ideas how to take it out............. without taking the whole car apart??? Freaking this is why i sometimes think hondas are better lol......... agood challenge is all i need for boring days though..... lol... by the way its a 90' 240sx coupe

**DONOTDELETE**
03-03-2002, 08:55 PM
Why are you removing it, and what's so hard to do? I wonder, cause I'll probably have to go through the same thing soon... My heatshield is rattling.

97 S14
03-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Which heat shield are you removing?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-03-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 97 S14:
Which heat shield are you removing?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I assumed it's the one over the headers. Am I wrong, dr2if4ta0sx??

**DONOTDELETE**
03-03-2002, 09:20 PM
i'm guessing it's the exhaust manifold heat shield since i dont think the SOHC even has any other heat shields. it was a pain to remove. make sure you've got all the bolts that are holding it on off but then it's kind of wrapped around the header so you can't really just slide it off or anything. if you dont need it, i say just cut it to pieces. i forget how i got mine off exactly but i'm pretty sure it only came out completely after the headers were detached from the engine at the earliest. might've even been after i unbolted the two header pieces from each other.

SR20VET
03-03-2002, 10:03 PM
I took the heat sheild off of the downpipe on my '89 a couple of weeks ago. Everything was completely rusted. Huge pain in the ass as far as heat sheilds go. I ended up taking an angle grinder to the bolts and cutting them off, and then takinga pair of tin snips and hacking the **** out of the heat sheild to pull it out. You will NOT be able to pull that out in one peice without dropping the exhaust. You can probally do the whole job with tin snips if you got strong arms and a sharp snips. My snips were pretty dull and beat up so I had to grind the clamps off. If you take the snips to it right away I'd say it won't take more than a half hour if you cut that thing relentlessly. You gotta play around with it though it gets a little tight up top. I had to cut it into about 3 peices and go at it from both sides. Wear some sort of goggles too 'cause you will get rust in your eyes if you don't.

dr2if4ta0sx
03-03-2002, 10:06 PM
Yea its the rattling sound thats annoying me....... the heat shield is the one above the header... that thing is a pain........ so i guess i gotta saw that **** off or something..... yea sometimes i do ask myself why id dint get myself an old si.....