PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE differences

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2002, 02:48 AM
Can any body tell me the difference between the earlier model and the later model KA24de engines??

thanx

Leighton

03-05-2002, 10:06 AM
91 and 92 KA's are the same, as far as I can tell...same cams (the most agressive of all KA's, 240/248), same emissions equipment (EGR, AIV, SCV).

93 KA's have a few different cams, and at some point in '93 the swirl control valve (SCV, AKA secondary butterfly system) was removed, possibly concurrent with a cam change.

I'd guess that 94's are the same as the late 93 ones, but I don't really know.

95 had some bigger changes. The AIV system was ditched, the head casting is slightly different (the valve covers between S13 and S14 KA's aren't interchangeable...who knows if there are any differences in the ports). Cams are 232/232. Exhaust manifold switched from 4-2-1 design to a 4-1 design to accomodate the close-coupled catalyst. The distributor switched to one with an internal coil. And the ECU is different. All S14's had a lower redline than S13 DOHC's (6500 vs. 6900).

In 97 (I think) they changed the ECU architecture a little bit.

98 - no major differences that I'm aware of. There was a little change in the evaporative emissions system though.

All KA24DE's had 9.5:1 compression, in case anyone tries to tell you otherwise.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2002, 07:50 PM
THANKYOU so very much for that info

are you suggesting that the 91 - 92 engine are the best ones to build or is it just better to get what ever engine i can and stick the 91 - 92 spec cams in - i wanna turbo one but i dont know whicj is best to do
i wanna keep the engine a stock as possible - and i wanna keep the cams stock - i wont be running huge boost but i dont know what engine best to start with if you could tellm e some more info on what is best or tell me a place where i could getr more info

thankyou

Leighton

HyperTek
03-05-2002, 08:45 PM
i take it you dont have a ka24de in the first place?

Una
03-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Well, If you'r planning on turboing a stock motor, (that is, your not planning on doing a full rebuild) your best bet is a 95 on motor, as they have a stronger bottom end.
While it may not have forged pistons, the stronger made components would definately help out for reliability.
Just look at T.Y. with his stock bottom end 97 KA turbo. He's pushing high 300 HP at 14psi I believe. (correct me if Im wrong.)
As for the cams, you could allways just drop in the 91 cams (available from nissan motorsports)

--Una

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2002, 10:51 PM
No i dont have one - but every one plays with SR's an FJ's and i like the CA but i wont something with big torque and from what i have found the KA would work well for me.

So this stuff about the later model engines not revving as hard is this significant or what????

so the bottom end strength is what you want right????

thanx

Leighton

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2002, 11:05 PM
Do they even have the Ka24de available in Australia ? I would think you guys would have a way easier time just putting in sr's or even RB's.

The lower redline isnt an issue you can get the ecu reworked.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-06-2002, 01:13 AM
yeah we have em here but they are not as good as your guys setup - so i can get parts no worries but i want the engine from you guys

oh and yes it would be just a s easy to do ans sr ca or fj but then id have what everyone else has i want something different and the KA has crap loads of torque and i know from your guys example that they can haul ass - and since no one else overhere has done it i thought i would stick it in

thanx

Leighton

rextreme
03-06-2002, 04:34 AM
My 95 distributor is a little different from my friends 97. Our rotors won't swap over.

redlyne
03-06-2002, 07:41 AM
Nissan used one distributor made by Mitsubishi, and another by Hitachi. This is the case w/ S13's, anyway, and I wouldn't be surprised if the S14's were the same way.

Sean

Originally posted by rextreme:
My 95 distributor is a little different from my friends 97. Our rotors won't swap over.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]

03-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Una:
Well, If you'r planning on turboing a stock motor, (that is, your not planning on doing a full rebuild) your best bet is a 95 on motor, as they have a stronger bottom end.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]That's not true. The rods, crank, and pistons are all the same. I checked the part #'s for the rods and crank, and JWT checked the part #'s for the pistons.

Asad

03-06-2002, 01:37 PM
asad, that's a nice list of changes you got there. almost comprehensive and very informative.

you may want to do some research on the differences between 95 and 96 that may have been caused by OBDII. i hear 95 and 96 are a bit diferent.

03-06-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 03:

you may want to do some research on the differences between 95 and 96 that may have been caused by OBDII. i hear 95 and 96 are a bit diferent.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]You know, I completely forgot about that -- that's a very good point. I don't really know what changes were brought about by the OBD-II switch.

Asad

S14GTR
03-06-2002, 01:51 PM
I'm sorry Asad, but I was 99.999% sure that the piston of the KA24DE 95 and + ...where different than the one in the 91,92,93 KA24DE

It's using a special coating...

I read that somewhere...

Is this true ?

03-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by 240 KSX:
I'm sorry Asad, but I was 99.999% sure that the piston of the KA24DE 95 and + ...where different than the one in the 91,92,93 KA24DE

It's using a special coating...

I read that somewhere...

Is this true ?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]It's possible...but I don't know for sure. There was floating around (for a long time) a myth that S14 pistons were stronger than S13 pistons due to a different method of construction -- but that's certainly not true.

I do believe that Nissan has started using coatings in their newer engines as part of their efforts to reduce internal friction (the same reason the newest SR has no main cap girdle, a 4-counterweight crank, and light valve springs). Whether or not they used them as early as 1995, I don't know. Or perhaps they've been using them for a long time.

Asad

Edit: I originally said QR -- I meant the newest SR. Although some of the features are shared with the QR, like the very light valve springs.

[ 03-06-2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: asad137 ]

d240t2
03-06-2002, 06:37 PM
I was the one who dispelled the "myth" that S14 KA's have stronger pistons. I mentioned it to Clark at JWT when I was on the phone with him and he had never heard of it. They hadn't noticed any difference in the strength of the motors. He checked the part number to dispel the myth.

KA pistons didn't change until the 2000 Altima, I believe, where they changed the shape to change the compression ratio.

Dennis

**DONOTDELETE**
03-06-2002, 07:47 PM
OBDII is just plain pickier i.e. In a case of doing a tranny swap auto to manual a S13 auto ECU can handle the swap without throwing code(no need to change the ecu) but a 95 OBDII will throw a code the minute you hook up the manual trans. resulting in the need to throw in a manual ecu.
So it is safe to say that OBDII looks at more stuff in the engine and tran wiring setup.
Now as far as mods go this has not seemed to be to much issue beyond tranny swaps. Hence all the OBDII KAT's running around here.
I am still trying to figure out where to move my
aiv stuff to make room for my Turbo setup without just going in and ripping it out.

03-06-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by dpro:

I am still trying to figure out where to move my
aiv stuff to make room for my Turbo setup without just going in and ripping it out.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I think I've figured out a way to keep the AIV in the original location, AND have the turbo mounted up top. I did remove the black AIV resonator box, though, and just put a filter directly on the reed valve inlet.

Asad

03-06-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by asad137:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by Una:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]That's not true. The rods, crank, and pistons are all the same. I checked the part #'s for the rods and crank, and JWT checked the part #'s for the pistons.

Asad</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Is it possible that the part numbers are the same because Nissan desires that the newer pistons be used as replacements in the older motors? I'm not saying that they're different (or that they aren't), but unless the older part numbers are from a source contemporary to the motor (speaking of which: are they?), then the newer pistons might be listed as the correct part for the older motors, even though they're not the same as what was originally installed. Does this make any sense?