PDA

View Full Version : I need opinions from the vets....

Silver_Moss_SR23
02-21-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure if I've posted anything about this over here on FA but on our local Tampa Racing forum it's been documented pretty well(the issues I've been having that is). Well it happened again last night and I am completely stumped. I'm going to copy and past this from TR since I wrote this right after it happened:

I made it 80% home tonight...yes, 80%. She's so moody lately, she decided to die on me while I was in the left lane on 301 and wouldn't refire. I limped it to my work(that was a long 2 miles) and here I sit. Got any room in the shop to fix the Silver Paperweight?

Here's the novel version: Car did the standard 'I'm going to hesitate and act like I'm going to die on you' on I4 after leaving the shop but after putting the clutch in(to stop the bucking bronco ride) downshift to 4th and shifting back to 5th it was fine. About 5-8 minutes later on US301 just after SR60 she said '**** hesitation, I'm going to just shut off on you while in the left lane with cars behind you! Hahaha!' Car was in gear but would not refire. 4th gear clutch pop = no refire. Same with 3rd and 2nd. With my foot to the floor in 3rd the car seemed like it was running on 1 cylinder...not dropping speed like the car would when it's in gear and 0rpms....also IIRC the car was actually still running(barely) cuz I could still hear the exhaust.

After darting over 2 lanes of traffic to pull off the side of the road I tried to refire. It almost started a couple times but would not stay running. Even with the foot to the floor the car would only jump up to 600rpms for a half second then die. After pulling the key and killing the ignition for a few seconds the car refired but ran rough as hell. Revving to 3500 led to a 3-4 nice pops from the exhaust. Started limping it to work from here and died again about 1500ft from where I started. Same deal again. Refire, a pop or 2 then(as I was getting more and more pissed off) a slight hesitation when free revving to 4500-5000rpms. The rest of the trip was uneventful minus the slight smell of gas.

Let me know if you want me to answer anymore questions. This might be a little vague but I'm not sure. Help me out guys!

Mike

SoSideways
02-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Maybe a leaky or sticky injector? Definitely something along the lines of ignition or fuel.

Have you performed a power balance test, where you pull out the coilpack plugs 1 by 1, to see which cylinder may be the culprit of the majority of the problems?

I would try to pull an ECU code first, then go do the power balance test, and see if anything turns up.

detroadster
02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
I would try to pull an ECU code first

+1

See if that ECU is trying to tell you something.

Silver_Moss_SR23
02-21-2007, 01:41 PM
My first thought was ignition too but I wasn't sure. I thought MAF for a while but it's so weird. I had the PFC hand commander hooked up and when the problem wasn't as bad(when it would just hesitate and buck) the MAF volts still looked normal. Also, I tried pulling codes the other day using just a regular hand scanner and it wouldn't connect to my ECU. Do I need a special one for the PFC?

detroadster
02-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Just use the blink codes on the ECU itself. No need to plug in the hand held reader.

jclark462
02-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Boost leak???? That sounds like my car when an intercooler pipe popped off. Just a thought.

Silver_Moss_SR23
02-21-2007, 04:10 PM
No, definately not a boost leak. I've been there before lol. Car boosted and held boost perfectly 99% of the time. The other 1% was when it was ****ing up. I gotta check that damn blink code thing.

S14Dragster
02-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Just remember the 3 basic to make a car start: Timing, Fuel, and Spark. Well I do not think its timing, so i would think it would have to be on the lines of fuel or spark. I agree, Check your ecu codes first before you start trouble shooting the other areas. If ecu codes come back ok , get a volt meter and then check your injectors, and coils.

harlock_ssx
02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Had a similar experience before when my mafs went bad & caused the car to run pig rich, fouling the plugs.

gt3071r240
02-22-2007, 12:25 PM
sound like an intermitent problem, I would check grounds for the ignition and ecu. bad ecu grounds or power connections can cause a car to do some crazy things. What system felt like it failed fuel or ignition or a combintaion of both? do you hear the fuel pump running?

Silver_Moss_SR23
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
It was definately a combo of both....or so I thought. I had my wiz Martin from XAT drive it around last night and the problem finally happened when someone else was in the car. He seems to think it could be a fuel pump ground issue, fuel pump relay going bad, or a dying mafs. He's going to work them up in that order today. Hopefully I'll have a normal running car by the end of the day.

pr240sx
02-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Something similar happened to me 3 weeks ago, not on a Nissan though. Was headgasket failure between 2 cilinders. I hope that your problem is something else.

_Def_
02-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I had a fuel pump relay go on me and it basically killed the car and wouldn't start back up whatsoever. The relay would rattle when you pulled it and shook it(that was fun to diagnose at 4 AM in an Atlanta ghetto on the side of the road...).

It sounds like you're getting an intermitten ground to either your fuel pump, coil packs, or some major relay that powers things like your ECU etc.